Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw few rumours on Twitter that Thorniley was at the training ground yesterday. No idea if they were true.

I saw few rumours on Twitter that Thorniley was at the training ground yesterday. No idea if they were true.
Looks like it might be legit. Would be a sensible and exciting signing. Proven left sided centre half who has won promotion from League One, familiar with the club, and played successfully with Elliott Moore already in his career.

Not sure that it is a thing these days but I well remember how great it was to have Aldridge and Hamilton up front for us many moons ago.
2 Strikers up front playing with a greater understanding of each others movement is something that you rarely see in any modern day team.
Sometimes it just clicks into place.

Looks like it might be legit. Would be a sensible and exciting signing. Proven left sided centre half who has won promotion from League One, familiar with the club, and played successfully with Elliott Moore already in his career.

Would definitely pave the way for Findlay to leave. I think Negru looks really promising though - potentially another McNally, Dickie, Atkinson - and I wouldn’t want too many blocking his route to the first team. Moore, Thorniley, Negru, Brown and Long would cover the centre back positions. New keeper and two new full backs to upgrade on Long and Brown and that’s the defence done.

Not sure that it is a thing these days but I well remember how great it was to have Aldridge and Hamilton up front for us many moons ago.
2 Strikers up front playing with a greater understanding of each others movement is something that you rarely see in any modern day team.
Sometimes it just clicks into place.

Systems and formations have evolved I suppose but there is no obvious reason why a throwback to our great 80’s side shouldn’t work in the modern game. There’s nothing particularly complex about an over lapping full backs swinging in a cross to the back stick where your target man nods it back for a poacher to tap in. Just as hard to defend against now as it was in the mid 80’s. A question of personnel I guess.

Wonder if Liam is trying to get them in b4 jetting of for warm weather training as will need plenty of time to gel b4 season starts now that would be a STATEMENT to the league 🙌

That's where Robinson went wrong the past 4 seasons. He was trying to be clever by playing the waiting game on signing the next crock from a higher level, Get the players in early and all have a full preseason with eachother and hopefully that will equate to a good start to the season.

See Luke Matheson has been released by Wolves. Very highly rated as a 17/18 year old at Rochdale. Not worked out for him at Wolves but plenty of first team experience for a lad of only 20 and plays in a position we need (right back).

Could be worth a punt.

See Luke Matheson has been released by Wolves. Very highly rated as a 17/18 year old at Rochdale. Not worked out for him at Wolves but plenty of first team experience for a lad of only 20 and plays in a position we need (right back).

Could be worth a punt.

Wasn‘t he the lad who scored at Old Trafford with his first touch when he came on as a sub for Rochdale in a cup game when he was about 16 ? He made the headlines for being back at school the following morning.

Systems and formations have evolved I suppose but there is no obvious reason why a throwback to our great 80’s side shouldn’t work in the modern game. There’s nothing particularly complex about an over lapping full backs swinging in a cross to the back stick where your target man nods it back for a poacher to tap in. Just as hard to defend against now as it was in the mid 80’s. A question of personnel I guess.

The 442 block is very stable defensively but with the current focus having more central midfielders, the two are exposed when in possession, especially if there is a counter press. Indeed, with an inverted fullback, there can be as many as 4 opposition midfielders occupying that space. The most successful 442 team in the past few years is Sean Dyche's Burnley who were able to cope by pushing their wingers inside to form a narrow midfield and by mostly bypassing the midfield to gain territory and win freekicks (which isn't a pretty watch).

While I can understand the desire to return to the flying winger and overlapping fullback model (indeed, the historically best Oxford teams used it), it will take a change within the tactical system throughout football for it to become as relevant as it once was.

Could be worth a punt.

Absolutely f**king not.

When you say 'plenty of first team experience' - he has played a handful of matches in the last 3 years, the majority of which were at a Scunthorpe side that got relegated from League Two with a whimper in 2022.

I will be gobsmacked if this kid ever plays in the Football League again, let alone for an ambitious League One club.

Only 'worth a punt' if Sam Allardyce Jnr turns us down to sign instead for West Brom and we also fail to agree terms with Kashif Siddiqi as player coach.

It’s interesting that if/when Thorniley is confirmed, that will be two players in the door who were identified and pursued by the old recruitment team. Both ooc now which makes the process a bit easier, and getting the deals actually done was a massive part of the issue before, but worth mentioning nonetheless that these aren’t new names plucked by Manning and Waldron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom