Transfer targets?

Nothing to do with players, it's the clubs and agents.

No it doesn't.

It sounds like transfers are being held up by the world cup (as we expected) and the new transfer window rules (as we expected). We hadn't signed anyone by this point last season.

We have a manager and chairman who have their transfer targets sorted and know who they want and how much they cost. Deals are already agreed in principle.

Get some perspective.

I see what your saying but put it like this, KR already knew about the world cup and the transfer window issues at the beginning, he didn't bring those up when he is saying that he wants everything wrapped up early.
Yes he has (had) his list of targets, but you cant convince me all of those are delayed because of the loan window and the world cup.

But look at the facts, he stated get things wrapped up early, he has his list but we have one (new) signing.
Statements start coming out like we are not going to be breaking the bank, then the Arsenal Manager changing, now the world cup etc.
That to me sounds like things have changed behind the scenes.

One thing is for sure, they should have had a good player (Striker) signing before yesterdays ST deadline and for that not to happen tells me its not going as planned.

I hope I am wrong and that we get the players in we need but premier youth is not the answer, anyways I renewed my ST like I always do, blind faith.

Possible they are. There may be a few out of contract in discussion as well but the players are taking their time making a decision as pre-season hasn't started (just like every other season).
My comments were aimed at another response, someone claiming no business will be done whilst the World Cup is ongoing, my response is that won’t give much time for players to as they say in Essex “ Gel “

My comments were aimed at another response, someone claiming no business will be done whilst the World Cup is ongoing, my response is that won’t give much time for players to as they say in Essex “ Gel “
Isn't gel what they wear in their hair in Essex? :unsure:

With KR’s comments in the Oxford Mail today, does this mean we’re mainly focusing on Premiership loanees players? Hope not as this doesn’t bode well for future sales/income etc.

Just wish I had Eastwood’s visionary!
I reckon Todd Kane is one of these targets. Chelsea only have 2 other RB ahead of him. Could be waiting on Chelsea to get someone in which will take a while they're still trying to get a new manager.

I reckon Todd Kane is one of these targets. Chelsea only have 2 other RB ahead of him. Could be waiting on Chelsea to get someone in which will take a while they're still trying to get a new manager.
I think the wages will scupper this, the player will have to be very ambitious to drop his wages down to our level.
Probably looking for a new right back if we can’t get that deal done

I think the wages will scupper this, the player will have to be very ambitious to drop his wages down to our level.
Probably looking for a new right back if we can’t get that deal done

Unless he realises he needs to play for the benefit of his longer term career. And considering he wouldn't come off (quite emphatically) after that challenge I suspect he wants permanent 1st team football somewhere rather than a loan.

Unless he realises he needs to play for the benefit of his longer term career. And considering he wouldn't come off (quite emphatically) after that challenge I suspect he wants permanent 1st team football somewhere rather than a loan.
I get the thought process, but when a player moves on from us the general consensus is that higher wages are involved and the argument who wouldn’t move on to another job for higher wages, I can’t get my head around the opposite situation if a player comes here he might be on a quarter of his previous wages, Kane had a year left on very decent wages if he doesn’t come here on loan but on a permanent transfer, I can’t see how anyone can justify losing approx £1m in lost wages.
Great if we can get him, but to me it seems unrealistic.

I get the thought process, but when a player moves on from us the general consensus is that higher wages are involved and the argument who wouldn’t move on to another job for higher wages, I can’t get my head around the opposite situation if a player comes here he might be on a quarter of his previous wages, Kane had a year left on very decent wages if he doesn’t come here on loan but on a permanent transfer, I can’t see how anyone can justify losing approx £1m in lost wages.
Great if we can get him, but to me it seems unrealistic.
But the other scenario is that in 12 months time he’ll join the ‘out of contract’ list along with hundreds of other fiotballer, alllooking for a new club. He probably has to accept that the next contract he signs won’t be anything like the one he’s on at the moment. It’s then up to the player himself whether he can climb back up the ladder again.

But the other scenario is that in 12 months time he’ll join the ‘out of contract’ list along with hundreds of other fiotballer, alllooking for a new club. He probably has to accept that the next contract he signs won’t be anything like the one he’s on at the moment. It’s then up to the player himself whether he can climb back up the ladder again.

He may feel it's a risk worth taking. He may be offered a significant pay rise when we are in the Championship next season + bonuses.?

I think that's the point LR is making though - essentially why move now when you're guaranteed to take a big pay cut when you could wait a year with better wages and then potentially get a contract with not as big a cut. A risk worth taking purely from a financial angle I think.

I think that's the point LR is making though - essentially why move now when you're guaranteed to take a big pay cut when you could wait a year with better wages and then potentially get a contract with not as big a cut. A risk worth taking purely from a financial angle I think.

I don’t disagree with this but to play devil’s advocate, it’s a gamble as he could break
his leg during the latter half of the upcoming season and then be absolutely screwed with no contract beyond June, potentially no club rehab and much diminished potential for a good deal.

Plus, he’s not the youngest of PL academy players so his career should be hitting its peak soon.

I don’t disagree with this but to play devil’s advocate, it’s a gamble as he could break
his leg during the latter half of the upcoming season and then be absolutely screwed with no contract beyond June, potentially no club rehab and much diminished potential for a good deal.

Plus, he’s not the youngest of PL academy players so his career should be hitting its peak soon.
I agree - from a financial perspective still probably a risk worth taking.
The other thing to consider is say that he's on 10k a week at CFC and would receive 2k here - that's another 4 years of playing at 2k a week to equal what he'd have received at CFC in one season. I obviously have no idea of the financials but it's assumed he's on a big wage there so I just can't see why he'd take the drop. Be even worse if he had a career ending injury halfway through a much lower contract too, of course....

• React
Reactions: MJB

Can't see him ripping up his Chelsea contract to join us (or anyone else). I would hope he would join us for the season on loan. He might be holding out for a Championship club . He's probably good enough for that level.

• React
Reactions: MJB
He will get paid out some or all of his contract at Chelsea depending how he leaves, as is the whims of football.

Look at Kemar Roofe. One year on a L2 contract, goes to a Championship club after a season, earning good money and moving on again.

Can't see him ripping up his Chelsea contract to join us (or anyone else). I would hope he would join us for the season on loan. He might be holding out for a Championship club . He's probably good enough for that level.
That's the funny thing - I'm not sure he's quite ready for Championship yet. He may be but KR brought a lot of good out of him, he was defintiely a much better defender by the end of the season than he was when he first joined.

I agree - from a financial perspective still probably a risk worth taking.
The other thing to consider is say that he's on 10k a week at CFC and would receive 2k here - that's another 4 years of playing at 2k a week to equal what he'd have received at CFC in one season. I obviously have no idea of the financials but it's assumed he's on a big wage there so I just can't see why he'd take the drop. Be even worse if he had a career ending injury halfway through a much lower contract too, of course....
I can't see there's any way a player as far away from the first team as he is would be on £10k a week, more like £4-5k I think... the problem is what we would be offering would still be a big drop, half maybe?

Back
Top Bottom