Ex Player Raglan joins Vale on loan

Very strange, looked to be the leader of the three centre backs at Chelsea the other day and certainly played no worse than the other two despite being out for ages. Cannot understand this decision.

I thought he was ok whenever I saw him. But no more than a squad player. Think he's out of contract this summer (?) So he'll be gone.

No, he signed a 2-year deal at the start of this season.

Really questionable decision; I was hoping Raglan returning would mean we’d be seeing less of Martin. Hey-ho. The way this season has been so far, I don’t think anything should surprise me but here we are.

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Following a familiar pattern. Take over a season to get Meads fit and then fire him out. He seems to have stayed fit ever since. Capaldi, gets fit at the end of his second year...get rid. Ribeiro, hardly kicks a ball...all over. Lee Steele, constantly unfit, get rid, shats on us from a great height with Orient. It probably happens with most clubs, but I am not interested in other clubs. I am only interested in our club and I do not see the direction in which we are going. HELP ......please

Although, on the face of it, this is a strange one, could it be that he's nowhere near match fit and we want him to get games elsewhere, where he may not be under as much pressure?

Also it's strange, isn't it, how when a player isn't playing, he suddenly becomes a much better player in everyone's opinion?!?!

Fair point but if it’s the case of getting him match fit wouldn’t a one month loan do? Or is there a rule preventing that. Not sure about the rules on loans now

Some of the comments elsewhere are a bit rabid to say the least. Raglan seems a really nice guy, but can't see him getting near the team over Dickie.

Wish him all the best

Fair point but if it’s the case of getting him match fit wouldn’t a one month loan do? Or is there a rule preventing that. Not sure about the rules on loans now

Short term loans no longer exist in the FL upwards. The Conference still have them but they don't have transfer windows anymore, and have reverted back old skool to March.

Has to be conference or lower like we have with long

I would’ve thought that would have done if it’s just to get him fit. The fact it’s until the end of the season and at the club where he started out makes me think we’ve possibly seen the last of Charlie in an oxford shirt. If so that’s a shame..

For me we only have 3 CB's now. Williamson can't play 2 games without fatigue or injury. So before deadline day we possibly need 3 players, RB CB and attacking midfielder.

That’s a pretty hard call to make seeing we’ve not even seen the lad kick a ball
Raglan contract is up at the end of the year isn't it? And we've just paid money for Dickie. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Raglan contract is up at the end of the year isn't it? And we've just paid money for Dickie. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Raglan got 18 months on his contract he signed a 2yr deal.

To me, loaning Martin out would’ve made more sense. I can’t see him being here next year where as Raglan is contracted for next year I thought? To be fair though, Martins performances have picked up a bit of late.

Nope raglan signed a 2 year deal. Martins and Williamson’s are up this summer, which would have made more sense
Vale is where Raglan started and I might assume Williamson doesn't want to join Vale or anyone else. I am surprised people are surprised. When Mous signed, Raglan was down the list and when Dickie did, he was even further.

To me, loaning Martin out would’ve made more sense. I can’t see him being here next year where as Raglan is contracted for next year I thought? To be fair though, Martins performances have picked up a bit of late.
I get the feeling Martin is higher on the pecking order and so far has been ok when he has had a run of games. Raglan needs to play, not sit on the bench or in the stands.

To me loaning any player out now if we don’t have to is puzzling. Surely if a new manager is going to come in soon it would be fair to him to have as many players for him to assess and choose from as possible until the end of the season.

Who’s making the decision to offload players anyway? Faz I assume..?

I recall people being desperate to see him last season in place of Dunkley who 'was useless on the deck'. Raglan played in the run in and by and large I thought he was decent, but, despite being heralded as the answer to our problem, he did make mistakes (including some misplaced passes that Dunkley would've been castigated for). I think, with our current frailties at the back, he's now been designated as the answer, as Colin B says.

Last season, the partnership of Nelson and Dunkley had pace, power, strength and they were very good in the air - in Dunkley's case, pretty much unmatched, he rarely lost a header. Realistically, I think whichever of our current, fit, centre backs play they need Nelson alongside them to help with the physical side. Williamson is good in the air but old, injury prone and cumbersome. Mousinho is good on the ball but slow and not good in the air. Dickie I suppose is unknown. Martin is fairly slow, clumsy and not that good in the air for a guy of his size. I don't think Raglan instead of Martin or Williamson is the answer, but we are where we are and I would've liked to have seen him playing as I certainly think he has more of a future there than Martin and Williamson. I can only think it's a case of seeing out the season with what we have and taking a view on Raglan over the summer, but guaranteeing the game time he needs in the interim.

Back
Top Bottom