Ex Player Raglan joins Vale on loan

Although, on the face of it, this is a strange one, could it be that he's nowhere near match fit and we want him to get games elsewhere, where he may not be under as much pressure?

Also it's strange, isn't it, how when a player isn't playing, he suddenly becomes a much better player in everyone's opinion?!?!

Although, on the face of it, this is a strange one, could it be that he's nowhere near match fit and we want him to get games elsewhere, where he may not be under as much pressure?

Also it's strange, isn't it, how when a player isn't playing, he suddenly becomes a much better player in everyone's opinion?!?!

To be fair, I’ve always quite rated him. Him on the left with Nelson last six games last season was the best centre back pairing I’ve seen for us in a while. It really wouldnt take long to get him up to speed, he played 90 mins in the cup the other day. He’s much better with the ball at feet than any of the other 3, and still wins a lot of headers

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely bemused by this decision. As has been said, Raglan is a far better defender than the ones currently being picked. I was really looking forward to seeing him play and bolster our increasingly fragile defence. Totally confused.

Would imagine its more about getting him game time than wanting rid.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting this news. But, regular games will be good for him after such a long time out. We still have four centre backs, and perhaps have interest in a left footed/sided CB - something that many agree would be beneficial for the team.

This was agreed prior to Pep leaving. I thought the delay was due to us looking to involve him.
Perhaps we've decided he will take a while to get up to full speed and feel it's best doing it somewhere else

To be honest perhaps nobody wanted williamson Mous or Martin i certainly wouldn't. perhaps the club are reluctant to let mous go as he is the captain. (although not been playing well lately). I fully expect raglan to be back next season with some game time. I will be very disappointed though if Mous martin and Williamson are still here come end of season.
Isn’t he out Of contract atthe end of the season, which means he’s free to talk.

Could it be for personal reasons?
Does he not come from slightly north of Stoke?

I like Raglan a lot but i dont think he is the great white hope that everyone was expecting. Our defensive problems have been more deeply rooted than that - expecting a back up squad member to be the answer to all our problems was destined for disappointment.

With that said, I am as disappointed and surprised as anyone that he's gone.

Yep, this is a puzzling one. For me it adds to the questions about him.

We originally took him on loan from a Chesterfield side which went on to finish bottom last season. Mapp simply brought him in as cover. He took his chance when it came and impressed us.

It was very strange I thought at the time that Chesterfield never wanted him back. I remember going on to their forum and saw some posts which said something along the lines of "if recalling Raglan is the answer then we're in deep trouble".

Trying to think this through...

I think Martin has mostly played well recently, he's definitely improved. I like Mous, even though some here don't. He can actually bring the ball out into midfield when needed. An intelligent player. Yes, there have been mistakes from him.

That leaves Williamson and Dickie as cover.

I reckon Faz and co. rate Raglan a little lower than we do, and rate Mous and Martin a little higher. He does need game time and we have a big squad as well.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I thought he was ok whenever I saw him. But no more than a squad player. Think he's out of contract this summer (?) So he'll be gone.

Really odd decision. He’s the best of our currently fit CB’s. I’ve been looking forward to him returning the team. Does this mean Martin is first choice?

Bizarre decision. The only reason I can think of is that the club wanted to free up some wages, seen that we are well stocked at CB and Raglan was the only one teams were interested in. Otherwise the decision is just completely mental.

Back
Top Bottom