National News Prince Phillip has died

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the word 'respect' means? It is an absolute fact that HRH exceeded the longevity of most of us by quite a few years due to the lifestyle and care he received as a member of the royal family. Good for him. Any one of us offered the same treatment would accept it in a flash.

Does that mean that any shortcomings he may have had cannot be mentioned because that would show some lack of respect? Perhaps it's in the timing? Perhaps we should all concentrate on positives for the first 24 hours, then bring up any negatives later to give some sense of historical accuracy?

I'd have thought most posters on here are intelligent enough to interpret the apparent 'rules of respect' without getting all sanctimonious about it. Not getting distressed over the death of a 99 year old stranger doesn't deserve to be demonised, in my opinion.

Same programme on BBC 1 and 2 simultaneously. Sycophancy overload. Completely unnecessary.
I've got it. They're trying to keep the Loyalist off the streets tonight.

To be fair he is my joint favourite on the crown (with Dickie Mountbatten if you really want to know), just read up on his life and it was an interesting one and he thought Charles was a dickhead like the rest of us, so I will have a can of Carlsberg in his name tonight.

Can’t get down with all the holier than thou stuff personally though, never knew the man.

Hopefully. It’s the least he deserves for his service to this country.

I have been to two funerals during this and both of those people contributed to the country, they paid taxes all there lives so why should it be different for him?

Maybe they love the royals because of their incredible contribution to Britain.
Philip, it should be remembered had many years naval service during the war.
He was an ambassador for this country for over 70 years, a bit hard to get your head around for some people.
Yes, he may have had made some injudicious comments in his time, but I’m not sure that makes him a racist as has been suggested.
I’m sure every family has skeletons in its cupboards, yet they won’t be dragged out by the gutter press, so ready to pounce at every opportunity.
As for implications that he murdered Princess Diana, I’m not so sure there is much evidence concluding that.
Time to let the 99 year old rest in peace

What is it with British society love the royals yet hate people on benefits etc both basicly get state handouts difference is royals live a pampered lifestyle.

We don't receive millions in tourism from those wanting to see you and your lot hanging around a shithole house with a P**s stained mattress on the front lawn!! Otherwise no difference!

What is it with British society love the royals yet hate people on benefits etc both basicly get state handouts difference is royals live a pampered lifestyle.

I think you vastly underestimate the “Royal Brand”.

I would hazard a guess that their contribution to “U.K. Plc” is somewhat significant.

Maybe they love the royals because of their incredible contribution to Britain.
Philip, it should be remembered had many years naval service during the war.
He was an ambassador for this country for over 70 years, a bit hard to get your head around for some people.
Yes, he may have had made some injudicious comments in his time, but I’m not sure that makes him a racist as has been suggested.
I’m sure every family has skeletons in its cupboards, yet they won’t be dragged out by the gutter press, so ready to pounce at every opportunity.
As for implications that he murdered Princess Diana, I’m not so sure there is much evidence concluding that.
Time to let the 99 year old rest in peace
Referring to the Chinese as "slitty eyed" is not rcist - are you being serious !!!
Maybe I am more sensitive as my girlfriend is Chinese but how can that comment not be perceived as racist

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the word 'respect' means? It is an absolute fact that HRH exceeded the longevity of most of us by quite a few years due to the lifestyle and care he received as a member of the royal family. Good for him. Any one of us offered the same treatment would accept it in a flash.

Does that mean that any shortcomings he may have had cannot be mentioned because that would show some lack of respect? Perhaps it's in the timing? Perhaps we should all concentrate on positives for the first 24 hours, then bring up any negatives later to give some sense of historical accuracy?

I'd have thought most posters on here are intelligent enough to interpret the apparent 'rules of respect' without getting all sanctimonious about it. Not getting distressed over the death of a 99 year old stranger doesn't deserve to be demonised, in my opinion.
It’s all about the timing and the trolls who can’t help but provoke controversy know that all too well.
I seem to remember an old saying that went something like ‘if you’ve got nothing good to say, don’t say anything’.

I have been to two funerals during this and both of those people contributed to the country, they paid taxes all there lives so why should it be different for him?
Just can’t help it can you.
If this thread was entitled ‘Duke of Edinburgh, what did you think of him?’ I could understand the anti monarchists getting excitable.

Referring to the Chinese as "slitty eyed" is not rcist - are you being serious !!!
Maybe I am more sensitive as my girlfriend is Chinese but how can that comment not be perceived as racist
I think you’ll find out it was intended to be light hearted. My friends wife is Chinese and doesn‘t get excitable about his comments

The sort of chap who you think is a bit of a knob until you meet him, when you realise he’s actually alright.

Certainly seemed to show dedication to his role within the Royal family and was a rock for the Queen, no question.

He had a good life and has died at a good age, remaining reasonably healthy and active for the most part, so fair play to him.

May he Rest in Peace.

Will feel the death of the Queen on a much greater scale. Once we lose her, I think it will be the start of the slippery slope for “Royalty” as we know it.

The sort of chap who you think is a bit of a knob until you meet him, when you realise he’s actually alright.

Certainly seemed to show dedication to his role within the Royal family and was a rock for the Queen, no question.

He had a good life and has died at a good age, remaining reasonably healthy and active for the most part, so fair play to him.

May he Rest in Peace.

Will feel the death of the Queen on a much greater scale. Once we lose her, I think it will be the start of the slippery slope for “Royalty” as we know it.
This is true as the rest of them are an uninspiring bunch

Back
Top Bottom