Oxford United Women

Its good being an OUFC supporter at the moment, with OUFC teams at all levels, firing on all cylinders :giggle:

And this was the point I was making rather than getting into the wider merits of Women's football or the disparity between the levels of the pyramid.

When running a club, it's easy to talk of developing it from top to bottom, but much harder to deliver when 95% of the focus is on the first team. The sustainability and growth of our club depends on us getting the footballing side right from the grassroots, into the club and through all age ranges. It also needs to reach further into our communities. My daughter has started coming to more and more games this year but wants to also see the women's team. My little boy is too wired to sit and watch 90 minutes, but I'll try him with a few youth games where he can mix watching with running around himself.

The success of our youth teams and the womens team deserves recognition, even if admittedly I only looked out for it during a gap weekend for the first team. There is a great feeling around the club right now, and there's no reason why our support should be limited to first team games only.

And this was the point I was making rather than getting into the wider merits of Women's football or the disparity between the levels of the pyramid.

When running a club, it's easy to talk of developing it from top to bottom, but much harder to deliver when 95% of the focus is on the first team. The sustainability and growth of our club depends on us getting the footballing side right from the grassroots, into the club and through all age ranges. It also needs to reach further into our communities. My daughter has started coming to more and more games this year but wants to also see the women's team. My little boy is too wired to sit and watch 90 minutes, but I'll try him with a few youth games where he can mix watching with running around himself.

The success of our youth teams and the womens team deserves recognition, even if admittedly I only looked out for it during a gap weekend for the first team. There is a great feeling around the club right now, and there's no reason why our support should be limited to first team games only.

I know it's within your nature to be positive but in truth, the women's team aren't flying as such - we’re sixth and we’ve lost as many as we've won in the league including back to back losses against Gillingham and Keynsham, two sides we should be beating. Especially if we want to match or better last year's finish.

We are not playing badly by any means - we always play good, entertaining football and I encourage people to come and watch - but we should have a few more points than we currently do.

Back
Top Bottom