OUFC Women: 2023/24 Season Build-Up

cecantena

Sorry to see Rose Kite has played her last game for the Club - moved on for a new challenge. Excellent goalkeeper.

At last an announcement from the Club - 5 departures and 1 retirement!

Kite and Casley (who are partners irl, I believe) are the big misses of those leaving. Naomi Cole's retirement will also be a huge loss in the set piece department.

Depends on who comes in, but seems a severe dent in prospects of going up next season...

Obviously they are big players who have contributed towards some good times but we've lost good players before and replaced them with better. Have every faith in the management team to attract some good replacements and enable us to challenge at the top yet again.

Christ, that is not good. I do wonder if it's going to be a much worse season next time around.

Christ, that is not good. I do wonder if it's going to be a much worse season next time around.
Bit worrying isn't it? Would be nice to get an update from the Club - I make it six departures now!

How does the Women's team operate?
Are they on full time contracts?
We read about players transferring from one team to another, do they sign for instance 3 year contracts?
Just wondering how / why so many have left the club as mentioned above.
Maybe it's just the end of the sporting year.

Nothing to worry about, players will always move on my guess a few may end up at Watford. Those leaving will just be bettering themselves with a step up the pyramid and you can't blame them for taking the chance whilst they can.

I have every faith plans will already be in place to replace these players, the club will have known their intentions internally for some time. Trust the process and the good people involved, nothing to see here. Not forgetting we had a very successfully Dev squad so a few may step up to supplement what's left and new signings. Carly Johns is a perfect example of that, came through the ranks and made her first team debut at 16, in the space of 2/3 years she's grown into a very good player so for all those current Dev squad members it must be a eye opener for what they can themselves achieve.

The majority of teams outside of the top two divisions are part-time so the players either do a 9-5 job or are in full-time education (or a combo of both). Watford last season having been relegated from the Championship remained full-time which obviously gave them a major advantage, I have a feeling Ipswich may also have been full-time too.

Not sure about contract lengths but imagine most won't be more than a year, there's others on here that may have a better idea of that level of detail. I would guess full-time contracts would be more in line with the men's game and how contracts work.

3-1 win against Exeter Yesterday.
Lots of new faces.(trialists)
Decent enough performance.Virtually different 11 each half.
Big rebuild as 7/8 left the club.Not all up the pyramid.
Much tougher friendlies to come this week.

The rebuild begins.
Welcome Zoe Barratt new Striker.
Showed up well in friendly against Exeter.
Good link up play when coming short but also pace to run in behind.

I have created a new thread for these posts, the old thread was a match thread from the end of last season. The chat definitely deserves a dedicated thread.

3-0 defeat against strong Championship side Birmingham City WFC yesterday.

report on Birmingham FC website.

What will the league be like this year?
Presumably the team relegated will be st a huge advantage again?

Coventry Utd we’re relegated to our league but will be playing as Rugby Borough Women FC this season so not sure what effect this will have on their budget and squad.
Portsmouth will be strong having strengthened including Riva Casley signing last week.
Ipswich again will be close but have lost a couple of key players.

Back
Top Bottom