Sport New Zealand Test Series

OK, let me try and illustrate my point. Here's the highlights from yesterday's play:

I'm going to talk about the three balls from ~1:10 onwards. Reminder - the score is 29-3 on a greentop, and he's batting against a guy who has 350+ Test wickets.

The first shot is exquisite. A gorgeous cover drive of the highest order. Perfectly controlled. Astonishing timing.
The second is a rubbish long-hop from Southee that he puts away well
It's the third that gets me. He comes charging down the pitch and has a wild, uncontrolled swipe at a straight good-length ball. Because his hand-eye coordination is so good, he middles it and smites it. But it's not a high percentage shot - and again, it's being played inside the first hour of a Test match on a lively pitch.

That shot, especially given its context, is (for me) the difference between normal, aggressive Test cricket and Bazball.
And to repeat myself - I'm not saying it's the wrong approach. It's almost certainly absolutely the right way to go in the modern game, given the skillset that young players develop nowadays.
Just saying that I hate it.
(though I might hate the 'Back Away followed by cross-batted heave' at 2:27 even more. The fact that Brook is capable of playing glorious conventional strokes makes his 'Stuart Broad on an angry day' baseball swings even uglier somehow)

That 3rd shot is about dominating the bowler and forcing the bowler off their line/length so they don't get into a rhythm. That is the percentage but looked at longer term and it worked. Root did it slightly differently by starting outside of his crease although he also came down a couple of times.

It is just a different way of doing it rather than seeing off the ball using overs.

Ok, my apologies, his 50 was a run a ball. He was later 63 from 81 though. What I'm trying to get at is that he is not just gung-ho, which you might think if you simply look at the scorecard. He is watchful when it is needed, but immediately capitalises on anything slightly overpitched or too short. If it's up, it's off. He moves through the gears with consummate ease. Root was playing a far more classical style test innings at the other end, so you would still have enjoyed that!
20 20 cricket has changed the margins between a good and a poor ball. Attitudes have changed towards dismissal. In cricket generally the fear of making a mistake has been removed so batsmen mindset is more positive. Historically batsmen were told to value their wicket now batsmen are told to value their runs. Australia started the change, but England with its abundance of limited over cricket and skilled players are taking it to a higher level. This is the way cricket is evolving.
I understand traditionalists find it to be not cricket but it's like whats happening in all sports.

England put 120 on in a little over 20 overs this morning before declaring, then Anderson nicks one out first over. This feels like the kind of cricket played against us, not by us!

Long may it continue!!

This Anderson field to Young, with no one in front of square on the off side was absolutely filthy.

He nicked it to the slips and was out for two.

Oh Jimmy.

Attachments

• 4BC96EA4-10E7-4794-859F-BA6A57E6C7CF.jpeg
    4BC96EA4-10E7-4794-859F-BA6A57E6C7CF.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 10
New Zealand 103/7

3 wickets for Anderson and Leach, and Broad taking the latest wicket of Bracewell. Brilliant bowling from England, and I wonder if we might make them follow on.

End of Day 2 NZL 138/7 still trailing by 297 runs.

Rain stopped play with 2 hours remaining. So again it will be an early start tonight at 21:30.

I mean - this is true; but scoring 300-350 in a day is what I would call 'traditional Test aggression'. I remember the first day at Edgbaston in 2005, when McGrath stepped on the ball, and then Trescothick, Flintoff & KP went nuts - England scored 407 in a day, and people thought it was one of the most absurd days of Test batting they'd ever seen.

Well the first day of the first Test in Pakistan, England scored 506! We scored 315 yesterday, despite losing the last 25 overs of play and despite Root playing a comparatively sedate innings, especially early on. If we'd been able to bat those final 25 overs (and hadn't lost a bunch of wickets) then we'd have scored 450 in a day minimum.

What we're seeing from the current England side is consistently more aggressive than anything I've seen before in Test cricket.

I fully accept that it's incredibly effective. I fully accept that it's likely to be popular with the masses and lead to bigger crowds.

I'm just saying that I, personally, don't like it. Although I'm sure the ECB couldn't care less at losing a few boring middle-aged traditionalists like me if we keep winning, and it keeps bringing in the crowds.

But then my favourite player when I was growing up was Mike Atherton, I always hated KP and my favourite shot (to play or watch) is an immaculate forward defensive.

I think all the years of watching poor England teams have left you with some sort of syndrome, nostalgia for watching crap, sub par players struggle to hit the ball off the square.

When I think back to some of the England test team players from the bad old days of the 90s when I was young I don’t think they would actually be good enough to be professional players let alone in the England team now the game has moved on so much, can only enjoy watching our teams play now after enduring that.

2 fantastic catches by Pope and an excellent review for the 1st wicket.

Loving the commentators talking about if Jimmy Anderson turned up to play for England over 40s Vs New Zealand over 40s. Made me laugh.

End of day 4 England 48/1 Crawley the one that got out. Duckett is there 23 and Ollie Robinson was sent in as night watchman.

New Zealand posted 483 and showed some resistance Williamson (132) Blundell (90) and Mitchell (54) played well. Leach took 5 wickets which was nice to see, as I’m pretty critical of him at times.

All in all it’s not too bad for England, 210 runs to win another series.

and Ollie Robinson was sent in as nigand Ollie Robinson was sent in as night watchmanht watchman.
I think you'll find the term these days is 'Nighthawk', which isn't as scary as it sounds...
Common-Nighthawk-800-Andy-Reago-n-Chrissy-McClarren.jpg

...I'm guessing when they coined that phrase they didn't know what a Nighthawk was :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully we can wrap up the series tonight, another fantastic effort by the team. Just a shame it was on BT Sport so I've had to be content with YouTube highlights packages.

I think you'll find the term these days is 'Nighthawk', which isn't as scary as it sounds...
Common-Nighthawk-800-Andy-Reago-n-Chrissy-McClarren.jpg

...I'm guessing when they coined that phrase they didn't know what a Nighthawk was :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully we can wrap up the series tonight, another fantastic effort by the team. Just a shame it was on BT Sport so I've had to be content with YouTube highlights packages.

Alastair Cook was taking the mickey out of him for that in the 1st Test between innings and the next day with that. Amused me.

Whatever happens, they will have forced a result in a rain affected game, on a wicket that runs can be scored but with a little bit for the bowlers. Only 210 - so done by lunchtime, one way or the other!

Completely unconnected to my previous moaning (because I think I've said more than enough on that topic in this thread)......

......seemed a really strange decision to me to enforce the follow on.
Stokes must have known that he couldn't bowl much and our strike bowlers, as great as they are, are really ****ing old! Plus, our lead was only a little over 200.

If we'd batted again there, then at the rate we score, we could have had a 500 run lead by the end of Day 3 (and even I wouldn't have complained about some hyper-aggressive hitting in that scenario); we'd have forced them to bat for two days against an attack that had had a nice breather......

As it was, apparently the bowling speed from our pace attack in the second innings was the third slowest ever recorded (79.65mph).

We should still win - but I don't think we're any more likely to win than if we'd batted them out the game.......and now the alternative is a loss, rather than a draw.

Completely unconnected to my previous moaning (because I think I've said more than enough on that topic in this thread)......

......seemed a really strange decision to me to enforce the follow on.
Stokes must have known that he couldn't bowl much and our strike bowlers, as great as they are, are really ****ing old! Plus, our lead was only a little over 200.

If we'd batted again there, then at the rate we score, we could have had a 500 run lead by the end of Day 3 (and even I wouldn't have complained about some hyper-aggressive hitting in that scenario); we'd have forced them to bat for two days against an attack that had had a nice breather......

As it was, apparently the bowling speed from our pace attack in the second innings was the third slowest ever recorded (79.65mph).

We should still win - but I don't think we're any more likely to win than if we'd batted them out the game.......and now the alternative is a loss, rather than a draw.
On reflection, yes, probably not the right decision but by god, he‘s made the last three series exciting and I’ll definitely give him some slack for trying to get results.

What’s more concerning is not being able to bowl himself and hobbling around the outfield.

80-5 and Root has just run Brook out by knocking a ball to slip and calling a single. What are we doing.

Back
Top Bottom