Test series v India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superb for Jimmy to become the fast bowler with the most Test wickets, and 4th overall, whilst his best mate Chef was on the pitch. Clearly meant a lot to him.

A great Test and fair play to India for at one stage looking like they could threaten the target.
Great performance by Cook and well done Jimmy

For Sri Lanka, how pragmatic will England be?
I assume that the pitches will be very soon friendly and won't seam much!
On that basis we will need what two seamers (plus maybe Stokes)
I reckon Broad should be told that he will go to the W Indies but wont go to Sri Lanka.
Thoughts?

What a great way to end the season. When test cricket is played like this series it's still the best format. Gutted it's ended tbh!
Need to build for the Ashes over the winter.
Hopefully we'll have another great series. Going to be tough!!

Talk was that Broad and Anderson would do one tour each this winter, but with Broad's injury, it could change things - I wouldn't want Anderson to flog himself on the poor pitches in Sri Lanka. Got to think Leach, Rashid and Ali all play in Sri Lanka.

Not wanting to take any focus away from Cook & Anderson and the glory at the Oval.....

......but I notice that Rory Burns hit an unbeaten century today. In a Surrey team that struggled for once. And against at least one proper bowler (Wayne Parnell). As the outstanding top order batsman in County Cricket this summer, he has to tour surely?

Not wanting to take any focus away from Cook & Anderson and the glory at the Oval.....

......but I notice that Rory Burns hit an unbeaten century today. In a Surrey team that struggled for once. And against at least one proper bowler (Wayne Parnell). As the outstanding top order batsman in County Cricket this summer, he has to tour surely?
Apparently there are concerns about his technique. On weight of runs he should play and it sounds like he will be in the squad.
I guess that Strauss, Vaughan and a couple of others were not massive scorers in the County game before they were picked.
The selectors have not managed to find any hidden gems but maybe there aren't any at the moment?

Talk was that Broad and Anderson would do one tour each this winter, but with Broad's injury, it could change things - I wouldn't want Anderson to flog himself on the poor pitches in Sri Lanka. Got to think Leach, Rashid and Ali all play in Sri Lanka.
Probably best neither go to Sri Lanka, Curran Stokes and maybe Wood for short spells of pace (if he is fit...)

Probably best neither go to Sri Lanka, Curran Stokes and maybe Wood for short spells of pace (if he is fit...)
Yep on the first two, no on the last one. A decent tour for Jake Ball to get a run out with an Overton brother. Or Ollie Stone if he isn't injured again

Apparently there are concerns about his technique. On weight of runs he should play and it sounds like he will be in the squad.
I guess that Strauss, Vaughan and a couple of others were not massive scorers in the County game before they were picked.
The selectors have not managed to find any hidden gems but maybe there aren't any at the moment?

It doesn't say a lot about his technique then if Jennings is getting picked!

His away record is very poor.

Maybe so but he has developed in the last year or so. Also as he is a good one day/Twenty20 player, variation may become important. I'd have him over Jake Ball and Wood as he adds more with the bat as well, plus he is a very decent fielder.

I don't think Trescothick was either.

But as you say, it's fine to ignore the guy scoring the big runs in the County game if you're unearthing that hidden gem.

If instead you're struggling to find anyone who can survive ten overs against the new ball, maybe it's time to stop overthinking it!

Paul Collingwood retires from cricket at the end of the season as well....

Boy could we do with him in our batting line up now (showing absolute grit and determination)

Really enjoyed watching him bat (and he was a fantastic fielder) even if he had limited talent.

Trescothick knew his game and was comfortable in leaving balls. Jennings, for example, looks like he has no idea what he is doing from ball to ball. And frankly, we've seen some "classic" looking players come and go in recent years because they couldn't do anything at the top level. KP had an unconventional technique, as did Cook. Same as Strauss. You want your best players out there

Burns simply has to be given a chance for the Sri Lanka series. Even before Cook retired he deserved a go in place of Jennings who has looked so far out of his depth all summer. Otherwise it makes a mockery of the County Championship and says that if your face doesn't fit you aren't getting in, no matter how well you perform.

On a related note I'm tipping Alec Stewart to be in with a really good chance of being the next England head coach. He's turned a perennially under-performing Surrey side into dominant title winners and hearing his interviews he's not content with that alone, he's already challenged them to sustain that success and be up there again next year, along with saying how he wants them to be a side known for developing players that break through and become fixtures in the Test side.

Worcester Rapids were impressive today. The lad Patrick Brown looks to be a very impressive young player, one of a few on that team. Moeen did a a very nice job today as well. Sussex also had some good young players involved.

Worcester Rapids were impressive today. The lad Patrick Brown looks to be a very impressive young player, one of a few on that team. Moeen did a a very nice job today as well. Sussex also had some good young players involved.
I thought that the Worcester wicket keeper/ batsman had a great game in the final.
Moeen

I'm a Worcestershire fan so have delighted in today! The only thing that could've made it better was Oxford making it a double. Unfortunately we're cricket's yo-yo team and are going to get relegated back to Div 2 of the County Championship, but I'll settle for that with winning the T20 after our 15 year wait to finally make it to finals day!

Pat Brown has certainly excelled in T20 this season. He first broke through last season but to be honest I never saw any sign of the impact he's made this year. As Hussain etc raved about, the control he displays with his variations and the calmness he displayed on the biggest stage of his career certainly was remarkable for a kid who's just turned 20. Interestingly though he's very much on the fringes of the 4 day team, with young seam bowlers Tongue and Pennington really making an impression in that format for us. Joe Clarke is a good young batsman and was mentioned for an England place at the start of this summer but his performances dropped off after making runs in the early part of the season. But he's still only 22 so I think a couple more seasons and more consistent run making and he is one we are very hopeful will make it onto the international stage. As for today's match winner Ben Cox, he's an excellent keeper and he's worked really hard to improve his batting in the last couple of years. Plus he always produces in the biggest games. In the semi final of the 50 over cup he scored a brilliant hundred to help us recover from a poor start to set a decent total. Unfortunately it wasn't enough and Kent chased it down with 2 balls to spare, but we more than made up for that today!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom