Sport New Zealand Test Series

I hope so.

But my worry is that t20 cricket has now become so all-pervasive around the world, that the reason Bazball is proving so effective is that it taps into the skillset that our batsmen have developed. Harry Brook looks a wonderful player when he's playing hyper-aggressively, and trying to score off every ball. But would he be so effective if he had to knuckle down and play in a more traditional Test style (even an aggressive one like the Aussies have traditionally adopted)? I don't know - we've never really seen if he has decent defensive technique because Bazball never requires it for more than a couple of balls!
I fear you may be right, but hope you aren't! Another factor is, I guess, the way the pitches are prepared. If groundsmen are basically preparing bat friendly pitches for the run-fest of T20, are they actually going to create anything that needs a bit more guile for tests? I suspect not. Not that I want to see a return to Boycottian stonewall batting, but a lot of the subtlety is being lost.

f*****g hell. I fell asleep as we’d just fallen to 21-3 fearing the worst. Root is a class act and Brooks os an absolute machine!

I don't think there's anyone that can possibly be criticizing the results. What McCullum and Stokes have done to turn things around is extraordinary.
10 wins in 11 Tests, after we'd won (I think) 1 in 17 beforehand.....and we've gone from having one batsman we can rely on to a high quality, settled Top Five in no time (though I do still have concerns about Crawley).

I still find the style of play a turn-off, though. Test cricket always used to be a subtle examination of skills, including patience, grit and defensive technique. Now we've turned it into a three-day long t20 game, I'm not really sure I see what the point of it is any more.

I 100% accept that Bazball is likely to be viewed as more exciting by the majority of people. I'm just in the grumpy old minority that feels like the version of the game they loved doesn't really exist any more.......
I kind of see what you mean Tony.
Watching a low scoring game that is decided late on the 5th day can be incredibly exciting (maybe only to Test Cricket enthusiasts)
Having said that, I have endured Chris Tavare play 5 hours without hardly playing a shot, and went to Trent Bridge when Kirsten and Cullinan batted 2 sessions where the ball beat the bat once, and they batted at 2.3 per over.

The great thing about Bazball to me is how Anderson and Broad look energised trying to take wickets.
And turning slmost certain bore draws in Pakistan into a defeat.

But yes, there could probably be some balance

Can't see why anyone would want to sit their watching a team take two days to get 400 when they can do it in one day, leading to results rather than to draws. Aggressive cricket is more likely to save test cricket than kill it, it was dying beforehand so it certainly can't do any harm.

Outside of England, Australia and India the number of tests played by the other nations was dropping, two match series etc, that was only going to go one way.

Plus who really wants to watch players who have grown up playing limited overs cricket, trained to play that style then try and fail to be defensive because its completely alien to them?

Last edited:
As much as I am enjoying the startling rise of the England Test team at the moment and hope it continues at least until the end of September, I do get what Tony is saying. On occasions batsmen will have to dig in and work to protect their wicket, I don't want to see us lose the defensive side of our game because our first thought is to always hit out of trouble. Some of the most thrilling passages of play I have seen have been bowlers on top with batsmen digging in trying to take the sting out of the bowling attack in the hope they can cash in later.

There is still a place for Alistair Cook and Jonathan Trott in Test cricket, it doesn't have to be all Pietersen and Bell taking attacks apart.

No matter what happens, you’re going to get some people who complain/don’t like it, and that’s fine. That’s life.

What will be unarguable will be: 1) Does it get results? (So far yes) and 2) Does it generate more views and interest in the format? (I don’t know the official figures so far, the Ashes will be a good guide I guess)

As much as I am enjoying the startling rise of the England Test team at the moment and hope it continues at least until the end of September, I do get what Tony is saying. On occasions batsmen will have to dig in and work to protect their wicket, I don't want to see us lose the defensive side of our game because our first thought is to always hit out of trouble. Some of the most thrilling passages of play I have seen have been bowlers on top with batsmen digging in trying to take the sting out of the bowling attack in the hope they can cash in later.

There is still a place for Alistair Cook and Jonathan Trott in Test cricket, it doesn't have to be all Pietersen and Bell taking attacks apart.
agree 100%

No matter what happens, you’re going to get some people who complain/don’t like it, and that’s fine. That’s life.

What will be unarguable will be: 1) Does it get results? (So far yes) and 2) Does it generate more views and interest in the format? (I don’t know the official figures so far, the Ashes will be a good guide I guess)
Views / viewing figures depend on who has the broadcasting rights - last time the ashes was shown on terrestrial TV the viewing figures were sizable

Channels such as Sky Sport, BT sport etc may put vast amounts of £ in , in return for the broadcasting rights- but in the current economic crisis, with rising prices everywhere, people are tightening their financial belts to make ends meet- luxuries like monthly subscriptions to sports channels is one of the first sacrifices

The Ashes ( home and away) IMO should be broadcast on terrestrial television

I don't think there's anyone that can possibly be criticizing the results. What McCullum and Stokes have done to turn things around is extraordinary.
10 wins in 11 Tests, after we'd won (I think) 1 in 17 beforehand.....and we've gone from having one batsman we can rely on to a high quality, settled Top Five in no time (though I do still have concerns about Crawley).

I still find the style of play a turn-off, though. Test cricket always used to be a subtle examination of skills, including patience, grit and defensive technique. Now we've turned it into a three-day long t20 game, I'm not really sure I see what the point of it is any more.

I 100% accept that Bazball is likely to be viewed as more exciting by the majority of people. I'm just in the grumpy old minority that feels like the version of the game they loved doesn't really exist any more.......
Let's be honest, the 'version' of the game you love was on it's a**e (apart from perhaps in England and occasionally in Australia, interest wise) and I largely disagree with your comments which carry a whiff of cricketing romance.

It's not just the fact we had only won 1 in 17 games, we had actually just lost to the West Indies in a tedious, poor quality series with absolutely no redeeming features. The crowds were almost entirely tourists and local interest negligible There was no 'subtle' examination of skills - just two teams low on confidence, motivation and technique, in some instances. Pakistan would have been exactly the same without a radical rethink. It was terrible and memories of the last Ashes thrashing in Australia were still ringing in our ears.

We couldn't decide how Anderson and Broad would be handled and younger players were not establishing themselves. I think what we are seeing is more of a reset than a revolution and that the style of play will find a middle ground when needed - although Brook went at a lick today, Root played a lovely 'old style' innings, 101 runs in 182 balls. Only 7 4's but plenty of nudges and nurdles and hard running. Foakes has also played similar innings when the situation calls.

We hadn't won a test in NZ for what, 15 years and the crowds in that time have been terrible. Along with innovative ticket pricing, the crowds have been better this time - not full, but certainly showing more interest. In India, where the best two test teams are playing, stadiums have been half-full at best and the last England visit there saw huge swathes of empty seats.

I'm a regular test match spectator in person and a member at Surrey, although I support Gloucestershire it's local to me. Some days I like nice slow test or county game with a few pints thrown in while talking s**t to my mates but a quick look at the average age of the attendees is not encouraging for the future of the County Championship or tests.

I appreciate we have still to see how adaptable the likes of Brook will be and if they have the technique to succeed in the longer term bit if the main purpose of the current approach is to win and entertain, I'll take that. We all talk about the batting but more encouragingly we are trying to take 20 wickets and this may even have extended Broad and Anderson's careers. The players seem happier and the management are being realistic about long nets and practice sessions, as well as allowing some players to join the T20 franchises and the ensuing financial benefits.

The Aussie's may well administer a bolt of cricketing reality and it seems a few old-school England fans are actually hoping for that so they can say 'I told you so', but at least we have a plan - 12 months ago we were clueless and looking for inspiration.

Just a thought on Bazball. Is it that revolutionary?

Only a few years ago did we have Trevor Bayliss as head coach and that was essentially a version of smash-bang-wallop to get to 300-350 by the end of Day 1. When it worked, it worked. When it didn't, it was appalling. I think England had three sub-100 innings scores in a calendar year at one point - one against Ireland, no less! Aren't we just seeing a better version of that with better players involved? England seem more controlled with it and Harry Brook is a hell of a player.

I can excuse any England fan of forgetting the Bayliss years after having to endure the Silverwood tenure. Most are only just coming out of rehab from those dark days.

Just a thought on Bazball. Is it that revolutionary?

Only a few years ago did we have Trevor Bayliss as head coach and that was essentially a version of smash-bang-wallop to get to 300-350 by the end of Day 1. When it worked, it worked. When it didn't, it was appalling. I think England had three sub-100 innings scores in a calendar year at one point - one against Ireland, no less! Aren't we just seeing a better version of that with better players involved? England seem more controlled with it and Harry Brook is a hell of a player.

I can excuse any England fan of forgetting the Bayliss years after having to endure the Silverwood tenure. Most are only just coming out of rehab from those dark days.
Not it's in the least revolutionary- as I say, I think it's just a reset for this regime. What is different this time is the batting combined with bowling tactics that try to make things happen - taking 20 wickets in the three games was key in Pakistan.

There's a great book called 'Crickonomics - it looks at cricket stats and reflects on cricket's history, as well as its future. Sounds very dry and is anything but! In one chapter they look at the rise in the test match scoring rates a few years back. The consensus was that T20 was the driving force but actuality it was a change in Australia's test tactics. There's also an interesting look at the old notion that private schools tended to produce batsman, while bowlers often came from state schools, often with working class backgrounds.

Harry Brook is an unbelievable talent, and a run machine. He’s so aggressive, and immediately puts the bowlers on the back foot and under pressure.

We still look vulnerable with the openers, and Crawley I’m unsure on, because he just seems to have a knack of getting out rather cheaply.

A great days play despite the rain, and a good score at 315/3 when we were 21/3.

You in the Hollies? That’s the place to be mate.
Of course, the Hollies is the main reason for going to Edgbaston, I've had some of the best crowd atmospheres for any sport watching cricket in there.

Pity the rain came as Brook looked like he was really going to let rip in that session.

Back
Top Bottom