Test series v India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thought Cox was really good. I liked the way Clarke bats. He seemed to have plenty of time against the 3 quicks. Not easy to play late cuts at 90mph deliveries!! At one point Archer didn't know where to bowl it!
Mo was top class. So calm and handled a really young team well.
As for Sussex. I had an eye on Phil Salt who is getting good reviews. Wasn't really able to tell if he's a test player. Does strike the ball well though.

Supposedly Mike Atherton is a big fan of Ben Cox, was raving about how good he was a Sky Sports dinner the other week. It sounds like there were a lot of good wicketkeeper batsmen on show yesterday

Yes thought Cox was really good. I liked the way Clarke bats. He seemed to have plenty of time against the 3 quicks. Not easy to play late cuts at 90mph deliveries!! At one point Archer didn't know where to bowl it!
Mo was top class. So calm and handled a really young team well.
As for Sussex. I had an eye on Phil Salt who is getting good reviews. Wasn't really able to tell if he's a test player. Does strike the ball well though.
Salts dismissal was criminal. Absolutely ridiculous. He was scoring very quickly and looking good at the time. Who knows how his dismissal affected the final result.

Salts dismissal was criminal. Absolutely ridiculous. He was scoring very quickly and looking good at the time. Who knows how his dismissal affected the final result.
If there is ever a rule in cricket that needs to be looked at, it's that one. He was miles in, but given out as he was off the ground in mid-stride... Of course you could say it was a bit schoolboy not dragging the bat, but seriously, get that changed.

If there is ever a rule in cricket that needs to be looked at, it's that one. He was miles in, but given out as he was off the ground in mid-stride... Of course you could say it was a bit schoolboy not dragging the bat, but seriously, get that changed.
I agree to a certain extent. But it was schoolboy cricket.

All he had to do was to ground his bat and he was a mile in. Surely you are taught that as soon as you start playing?

Good to see Burns get his call up for Sri Lanka. A couple of seasons too late though.
Jennings is a lucky boy. If Cook hadn't retired he would have been dropped. I still think he should have been as he isn't good enough to take the Aussie's on next summer! Not sure about Denly. Would have gone for a younger up and coming top order batsman.

I'm a Worcestershire fan so have delighted in today! The only thing that could've made it better was Oxford making it a double. Unfortunately we're cricket's yo-yo team and are going to get relegated back to Div 2 of the County Championship, but I'll settle for that with winning the T20 after our 15 year wait to finally make it to finals day!

Pat Brown has certainly excelled in T20 this season. He first broke through last season but to be honest I never saw any sign of the impact he's made this year. As Hussain etc raved about, the control he displays with his variations and the calmness he displayed on the biggest stage of his career certainly was remarkable for a kid who's just turned 20. Interestingly though he's very much on the fringes of the 4 day team, with young seam bowlers Tongue and Pennington really making an impression in that format for us. Joe Clarke is a good young batsman and was mentioned for an England place at the start of this summer but his performances dropped off after making runs in the early part of the season. But he's still only 22 so I think a couple more seasons and more consistent run making and he is one we are very hopeful will make it onto the international stage. As for today's match winner Ben Cox, he's an excellent keeper and he's worked really hard to improve his batting in the last couple of years. Plus he always produces in the biggest games. In the semi final of the 50 over cup he scored a brilliant hundred to help us recover from a poor start to set a decent total. Unfortunately it wasn't enough and Kent chased it down with 2 balls to spare, but we more than made up for that today!
Genuinely disappointed to see Worcestershire go down. When you see Hampshire until the 2nd innings of their game against Yorkshire this week hadn’t had a single ball bowled by an English bowler it is sad to see them go down. As long as they can keep their talented young players they have with some of the experience they will come back stronger. Like my county they have had a county championship nightmare this season although we have done enough to just about send Lancashire down but Worcestershire have been a breath of fresh air in the white ball game and I was pleased they won the t20

Good to see Burns get his call up for Sri Lanka. A couple of seasons too late though.
Jennings is a lucky boy. If Cook hadn't retired he would have been dropped. I still think he should have been as he isn't good enough to take the Aussie's on next summer! Not sure about Denly. Would have gone for a younger up and coming top order batsman.
Yes agree with that. They seem to have covered the bases. So three potential openers and if Jennings doesn't perform they have back up.
I would say too many seamers though. S Africa apparently after the last tour of Sri Lanka realised that seamers don't get much success. Why on earth have Broad and Anderson as well as Curran, Stokes and Stone (good to see him- does anybody know a lot about him?)

Has anybody been to a Test in W Indies? Which is the best one to go to?

Denly has both had a good season, and is a decent part time bowler by the sounds of it. Can he be any abjectly worse than moves slower than a continent Keaton Jennings?

Has anybody been to a Test in W Indies? Which is the best one to go to?
We did the Antigua test about 3 years ago, the Viv Richards Stadium is quite nice, sort of like the Rose Bowl in Southampton, but the locals didn't really turn up as the ground is right in the middle of the island and quite isolated. Was a great experience however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom