General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also put suggestions on how to get people to Stratfield Brake like decent parking on site, shuttle buses from all park and rides, continuing the football special buses with enhancements and more frequent trains on match days to get people away after the matches quickly.

I also put about it being a hub for all sports in Oxfordshire not just football. It would be great to have artificial and real pitches around the stadium so the area is green as possible still. I'd feel very proud walking up to the stadium and seeing local teams playing football, hockey, cricket and rugby etc there.

I also put suggestions on how to get people to Stratfield Brake like decent parking on site, shuttle buses from all park and rides, continuing the football special buses with enhancements and more frequent trains on match days to get people away after the matches quickly.

I also put about it being a hub for all sports in Oxfordshire not just football. It would be great to have artificial and real pitches around the stadium so the area is green as possible still. I'd feel very proud walking up to the stadium and seeing local teams playing football, hockey, cricket and rugby etc there.

Although artificial pitches will help to keep the area green in a literal sense, I'm not sure they'll cut it in an ecologically with the green brigade.

Would anyone else cycle to the stadium if they could secure their bike better and maybe have a shower and locker available? I think a cycle hub could become a coffee shop at the same time. With manned cycle storage.

Although artificial pitches will help to keep the area green in a literal sense, I'm not sure they'll cut it in an ecologically with the green brigade.

The sports pitches currently at SB are trampled on by hundreds each weekend do are probably of very little ecological value anyway. Artificial pitches offer upgraded sporting facilities for the local community compared to what's there currently.

Would anyone else cycle to the stadium if they could secure their bike better and maybe have a shower and locker available? I think a cycle hub could become a coffee shop at the same time. With manned cycle storage.

Too far to cycle for me with the kids personally, but I am willing to give the train from Culham or Radley a go, or if the club combine a season ticket with the cost of using the direct bus service from Abingdon then I will drop the car for good on matchdays (bus service will need to improve though as I like to be at the game atleast 40 mins before kick off and in a new stadium I probably would stay after the game too)

From the Friends of Stratfield Brake Facebook group this morning:

"“A stadium on Stratfield Brake is better than housing - if they don’t build the stadium, it’ll get sold off for housing”. This is a common misconception we hear a lot.

It is true that, sadly, Oxford University has been permitted to build 4,400 houses on surrounding green space on land owned by different colleges. This was resisted strongly by the local community, in a campaign led by Kidlington Development Watch, supported by Kidlington Parish Council, and challenged legally at the highest possible level. Unfortunately, the University got their way, in order to meet “OXFORD's unmet housing need”. Stratfield Brake is different. This land is under public ownership (Oxfordshire County Council), and crucially: (1) Kidlington Parish Council and (2) Gosford and Water Eaton Parish Council both hold sub-leases over it. These sub-leases run until 2097, and CANNOT BE TERMINATED UNLESS OUR PARISH COUNCILS SAY SO… Unusually, therefore, our parish councils hold the power here – they can simply say NO to OUFC and keep our vital remaining green space intact.

It's crucial that we leave the parish councils in no doubt about just how many local residents would prefer Stratfield Brake to be protected and improved for the local community's use, rather than sold off for a stadium/hotel/conference centre (probably making a lot of money for OUFC and its investors in the process). Once it's gone, it's gone: join our campaign and make your voice heard."

‐---------

It's even more crucial we show even more Oxon residents want it and somehow try and persuade the reluctant parish council's to agree to surrender their leases.

From the Friends of Stratfield Brake Facebook group this morning:

"“A stadium on Stratfield Brake is better than housing - if they don’t build the stadium, it’ll get sold off for housing”. This is a common misconception we hear a lot.

It is true that, sadly, Oxford University has been permitted to build 4,400 houses on surrounding green space on land owned by different colleges. This was resisted strongly by the local community, in a campaign led by Kidlington Development Watch, supported by Kidlington Parish Council, and challenged legally at the highest possible level. Unfortunately, the University got their way, in order to meet “OXFORD's unmet housing need”. Stratfield Brake is different. This land is under public ownership (Oxfordshire County Council), and crucially: (1) Kidlington Parish Council and (2) Gosford and Water Eaton Parish Council both hold sub-leases over it. These sub-leases run until 2097, and CANNOT BE TERMINATED UNLESS OUR PARISH COUNCILS SAY SO… Unusually, therefore, our parish councils hold the power here – they can simply say NO to OUFC and keep our vital remaining green space intact.

It's crucial that we leave the parish councils in no doubt about just how many local residents would prefer Stratfield Brake to be protected and improved for the local community's use, rather than sold off for a stadium/hotel/conference centre (probably making a lot of money for OUFC and its investors in the process). Once it's gone, it's gone: join our campaign and make your voice heard."

‐---------

It's even more crucial we show even more Oxon residents want it and somehow try and persuade the reluctant parish council's to agree to surrender their leases.

The Friends of Stratfield Break and various other sub groups have been pushing the same message for 6 months. However they do not appear to be gaining any more support from their communities and numbers of those linked to these groups through Facebook or Twitter are still exceptionally low.

As before STB became public knowledge there were times when things appeared to have gone very quiet but the club were working hard behind the scenes to make things happen. It feels like we're in the same situation and we must once again trust in the process. I appreciate that this is easier said than done, but I for one am happy wiating for an announcement that has meaning arther than seeing the same things repeated over and over by small and fairly insignificant community groups.

The Friends of Stratfield Break and various other sub groups have been pushing the same message for 6 months. However they do not appear to be gaining any more support from their communities and numbers of those linked to these groups through Facebook or Twitter are still exceptionally low.

As before STB became public knowledge there were times when things appeared to have gone very quiet but the club were working hard behind the scenes to make things happen. It feels like we're in the same situation and we must once again trust in the process. I appreciate that this is easier said than done, but I for one am happy wiating for an announcement that has meaning arther than seeing the same things repeated over and over by small and fairly insignificant community groups.
It does seem to be the same small number of people opposing the plans.

Sounds like their consultation plans aren't going as well as expected:

View attachment 9496
I read this with optimism that there appears to already be a slight hint of pessimism from the opposition, also good to see that after months of ranting there are not any additional lines of objection emerging.

Just the same tripe being regurgitated, as if saying the same thing over and over makes a difference.

Parish councils have a voice and no more, they can voice there opposition and the local councils will take note but that is all they are a voice and nothing more, the same as FOSB and any other opposition groups.
They say we can simply say no to OUFC but that means nothing.

Parish councils have a voice and no more, they can voice there opposition and the local councils will take note but that is all they are a voice and nothing more, the same as FOSB and any other opposition groups.
They say we can simply say no to OUFC but that means nothing.

It means something on the sub leases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom