New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
289 days after Stratfield Brake being replaced by The Triangle, the original post is locked.

Today, with Oxfordshire County Council agreeing to lease the land to OUFC, things take a major step forward. Here starts the planning stage.

We, as fans, still need to remain restraint and show our class to anti-stadiumers. There is still a huge task ahead. But the future looks more promising.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Now onto planning.

Expect yet more FOSB nonsense (legal challenge and planning objections are a given) , but don't worry, we have got this.

Some people in the council meeting thread were worried about the council adding in the requirement for the stadium to be completely net zero. I don't think that's an insurmountable hurdle as we will likely be able to pay to offset a proportion of our carbon footprint into a biodiversity scheme somewhere else in the UK. Fairly standard practice for large scale developments.

Great news from the council today though!

So.. there are some detailed plans due out on 9 October and the plan is to put a planning application in by the end of October.
Is that right?

• React
Reactions: ljs
Some people in the council meeting thread were worried about the council adding in the requirement for the stadium to be completely net zero. I don't think that's an insurmountable hurdle as we will likely be able to pay to offset a proportion of our carbon footprint into a biodiversity scheme somewhere else in the UK. Fairly standard practice for large scale developments.

Could start by reclaiming some farmland that just gets left not producing crops, and plant a new woodland??

We need to sound out the allies for the Planning Committee now.

Fiona Mawson and reserve Ian Middleton need to be denied from being on it since they're predetermined.
They should be and will be. No way Middleton gets anywhere near it & Mawson won’t as any decent legal challenge by the club would be granted as there’s no way she can be called unbiased as she lives and is the partner of Middleton.

I'm going to post this one more time and then shut up. I think the council's stipulation that the club must produce a fully costed NET Zero Carbon Plan is quite concerning. That is going to be a monumental effort. I'm struggling to find any examples of NET Zero Carbon stadiums globally. There is a huge jump from 'environmentally friendly' to NET Zero Carbon. You are getting into the realms of requiring almost 100% renewable energy (and football stadiums use a lot of energy), the use of low embodied carbon materials (I.E. standard concrete is a no go), zero waste etc etc. As I posted on another thread, as far as I can tell, the club had targeted to a 'drive towards Net Zero Carbon', but I think that is quite different to producing a fully costed Net Zero Carbon plan at design stage.

I'll be interested to know what others think of this development?

I for one would like to see FoSB come onboard with the planning proposals and work together with the club, the supporters and the local authorities to help transform the Triangle area into the most eco-friendly and bio-diverse stadium in the country.

There is clear agreement that the club should be leased the land, clear agreement that Oxford United FC is a huge community asset to both the city and the county and clear agreement that the build and management of the club should be positive and progressive in terms of its environmental impact.

It would be the mature option, and I hope Mr Middleton et al recognise that they will have far more influence if they work alongside all the other stakeholders rather than against them.

Can I just say a BIG BIG thank you to the following

@Colin B
@unification
@Billyox
@Sarge
@DannyW
@Manorlounger
@Scotchegg
@bazzer9461
@SwissYellow
@Orkney Islands Yellow
@OUSP Secretary
@MJB

There are more so sorry if I’ve missed you out

But you have tackled FoSB , Middleton, Nextdoor ,KPC written to the Mail and others to put forward our case and make this happen

Hats off to you

But don’t stop there, the even harder work starts now, but thankfully with people like you amongst us I know we can win the big prize

I feel privileged to be amongst a group of friends like you

Football fans hooligans eh 😀

I'm not sure that offsetting would be ok - it's generally viewed pretty poorly and the most widely accepted Net Zero standard (https://sciencebasedtargets.org/), doesn't allow it.

I think it depends on what they want to be net zero - is it the construction or the operation of the stadium, or both? I think operation can fairly easily be Net Zero, but construction will be a lot harder to achieve. - I've got my fingers crossed for an onsite wind turbine, which I'm sure FOSB would love!

Back
Top Bottom