General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My follow up email to Michael O'Connor. Will send a similar email to the others but he was the only one to respond to me.

Dear Michael,

Many thanks for your response on the matter. I appreciate that your available time is quite likely very limited, so I am very grateful in that regard.

Ahead of the county council cabinet meeting tomorrow I wish to make one final point about the opposition group, the FoSB.

In light of recent publications in the Oxford Mail, it is evident that the so called Friends of Stratfield Brake have brought up the previous proposal from TRAX to purchase the land at the triangle. Stating that the council should delay the decision to allow for this proposal to be given consideration.

This is a very clearly a last ditch desperate attempt from FoSB to try to scupper the proposals from OUFC. It has since come out that the proposal was retracted from TRAX. But by doing this they have tried to put the football club up against a well respected local educational charity, a new all time low for the pressure group.

However, the big concern I have though is that by vocally supporting this proposal from TRAX, the FoSB have shown themselves as not the environmentalists that they have claimed to be. My fears appear to be true in that there is an underlying prejudice against football and football supporters that is fuelling the group's motives. Any true environmentalists would be against any form of development on green belt land. But this is clearly not true for them.

The council cannot be allowed to let prejudices of the past win over logical evidence based facts. The fact of the matter is that OUFC are a well loved community asset that is welcoming and accepting of people from all backgrounds and must be allowed to have a future. There is no place for prejudice and discrimination in modern society, a view that I am sure you share.

Again I ask that the county council make the correct decision at the meeting tomorrow and allow OUFC to proceed to the next stages of the stadium plans.

Best regards,

I suspect it’s someone adding 2 + 2 and getting 5, potentially.

Cllr Rae Humberstone is a Trustee of Trax.

People need to be careful about going after a charity when facts are, at best, cloudy. Relying on the Oxford Mail for your facts on timings/details is not a good place to start!

I haven't a clue what Rae Humberstone's position on the new stadium is, but I have met him and he's a good bloke.

He's also a massive Sheffield Wednesday fan and most certainly not an anti-football snob. If he was aware of all the facts then I would be surprised if he was opposed to the club moving.

My follow up email to Michael O'Connor. Will send a similar email to the others but he was the only one to respond to me.

Dear Michael,

Many thanks for your response on the matter. I appreciate that your available time is quite likely very limited, so I am very grateful in that regard.

Ahead of the county council cabinet meeting tomorrow I wish to make one final point about the opposition group, the FoSB.

In light of recent publications in the Oxford Mail, it is evident that the so called Friends of Stratfield Brake have brought up the previous proposal from TRAX to purchase the land at the triangle. Stating that the council should delay the decision to allow for this proposal to be given consideration.

This is a very clearly a last ditch desperate attempt from FoSB to try to scupper the proposals from OUFC. It has since come out that the proposal was retracted from TRAX. But by doing this they have tried to put the football club up against a well respected local educational charity, a new all time low for the pressure group.

However, the big concern I have though is that by vocally supporting this proposal from TRAX, the FoSB have shown themselves as not the environmentalists that they have claimed to be. My fears appear to be true in that there is an underlying prejudice against football and football supporters that is fuelling the group's motives. Any true environmentalists would be against any form of development on green belt land. But this is clearly not true for them.

The council cannot be allowed to let prejudices of the past win over logical evidence based facts. The fact of the matter is that OUFC are a well loved community asset that is welcoming and accepting of people from all backgrounds and must be allowed to have a future. There is no place for prejudice and discrimination in modern society, a view that I am sure you share.

Again I ask that the county council make the correct decision at the meeting tomorrow and allow OUFC to proceed to the next stages of the stadium plans.

Best regards,

You're lucky, my councillor has blanked me. Last three emails have gone unanswered.

My email tonight. Please send yours, even if it significantly shorter than this one!

Dear all,

Please may I take this opportunity to ask for your support in approving Oxford United bid for the purchase of the land known as 'The Triangle'.

Oxford United Football Club has played a huge part in my life for very nearly 40 years having gone to my first game in October 1983 with my father. I have since been able to take my own children to games with my daughter now an active supporter of both the mens and womens team as well as playing football for her school and local team. My aunt is in her 80's and still attends every home game and most away games. I have friends who I have meet through football and some who are no longer able to go to games but are avid listeners via Radio Oxford. Oxford United has touched the lives of so many and continue to do so.

We are now in a very real fight for the survival of our club. As we know, despite ridiculous comments to the contrary, Oxford United can not stay at the Kassam Stadium beyond June 2026. This is not the fault of the football club who have tried, over several years and through numerous owners, to take control of our own future by buying the stadium from Mr Kassam. But he has refused every attempt and is solely responsible for the situation the club finds itself in.

The club have looked throughout the county and only one sight is available, appropriate and provides access to public transport. And that is Stratfield Brake/The Triangle. Sadly SB is no longer an option but it is the Triangle or bust, but this creates a fantastic opportunity for the club and the county as a whole.

Oxford United have clearly demonstrated that they have met, or will meet all of the conditions placed on them by OCC, and the plans for the stadium sound incredible. It is important to all of us to not just have a home, but to have the best possible home that serves everyone in the community. It will be an incredible environmental friendly stadium. It will have incredible transport links. It will bring in people from all over the county and further afield and make everyone welcome regardless of age, gender, sexuality, ethnicity or social standing. It will be somewhere that reaches out to our whole communities on match days and away from football. It will be the heart and soul of Oxfordshire and something we can all be proud of.

In the face of some horrendous comments about football supporters from those who oppose the stadium, the club and its fanbase have shown considerable restraint and integrity throughout this process.

I ask you to support this application from Oxford United and to make something wonderful happen.

Thank you

I haven't a clue what Rae Humberstone's position on the new stadium is, but I have met him and he's a good bloke.

He's also a massive Sheffield Wednesday fan and most certainly not an anti-football snob. If he was aware of all the facts then I would be surprised if he was opposed to the club moving.
Indeed.

The Trax situation is a little confusing because the information in the public domain is duff and the sources for the leaking of the information is dubious.

Last edited:
I’ve just emailed again thanking them for acknowledging my previous email where I wrote in support of the new stadium. I also went back over some of the key points, and again urged the council to approve the proposal tomorrow.

Don't know how I'm meant to sleep tonight. Legitimately more nervous than any game I've been to. Tomorrow is quite literally make or break day for OUFC and I'm shitting it.

Well done everyone. D-Day is here!!! When we're next having a meltdown on a transfer / manager / player / matchday thread can we all have a read back to this thread and remember that we're all on the same side!!! COYY!!!
A pint to the first person to reply to me with some variation of "No, foxtrot Oscar Yankee Charlie!!" ;)

I wanted to share my letter/email that I have sent to The Councillors this evening. It has really dawned on me that our future is in the balance. I hope we are successful tomorrow in what will be the first significant step to a new beginning for our Club.

Dear All,
I hope this letter finds you in good health. I am writing to you today as a lifelong resident of Oxford and an ardent supporter of Oxford United Football Club. I wanted to express my wholehearted support for the proposed new Oxford United Stadium and to convey the immense significance of this development for our community.
My personal history with Oxford United dates back to my childhood when I first stood on the London Road terrace at The Manor Ground, filled with awe and excitement as I watched the mighty Yellows take the field. Those memories are etched in my heart, and over the years, my passion for the club has only grown stronger. Now, as a man and an uncle, I have had the privilege of sharing the joy and exhilaration of watching our beloved team at the Kassam Stadium with my family. It's more than a sport; it's a tradition, a bond that connects generations, and an enduring source of happiness.

Oxford United Football Club has been a pillar of our community, providing a sense of unity and togetherness that is increasingly rare in today's society. It transcends age, background, and differences, bringing people from all walks of life together to support a common cause. The club is woven into the fabric of Oxfordshire, and its impact extends far beyond the pitch. It instills a sense of pride in our city and fosters a spirit of camaraderie that is unrivaled by any other live sport played in our region.

I believe that the proposed new stadium is not just about bricks and seats; it's about securing the future of Oxford United and preserving the legacy that has meant so much to me and countless others over the years. It represents hope for continued growth, success, and prosperity for our club and, by extension, our community. Therefore, I kindly urge you and all cabinet members to approve the sale or lease of the land at the Triangle, allowing us to move forward to the planning stage.

In these challenging times, when the bonds that tie us together seem fragile, Oxford United stands as a beacon of hope and unity. Let us ensure that this beacon continues to shine brightly for generations to come by supporting the new stadium development.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I trust that you will make the right decision to safeguard the future of our beloved football club and the happiness it brings to Oxfordshire.

Yours sincerely

True. That was reported when the motorcycle training company applied to continue to use the Kassam Stadium car park permanently but were granted permission on a temporary basis due to the local plan and tge carparks being earmarked for housing.

We have to move, simple as that.
I know about the carparks for housing & the bingo hall & the complex for the science park.
I've just not seen it explained like that before. It the bit about the stadium should remain, unless Oxford United find a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom