General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that tactical voting will be necessary and would only give rise to those complaining about outside interference with the process. My view is that you should always vote for the person who best reflects your views, and if that means that you vote for someone who supports the stadium then great. But we shouldn't need to initiate a voting campaign on this alone. Leave that rubbish for others.
I think that politicians should realise that this is a huge issue for many.
So any clearly against should realise that they could lose votes.
Charlton only ever went back to the Valley after being homeless for years, by making their views known in local elections

I think that politicians should realise that this is a huge issue for many.
So any clearly against should realise that they could lose votes.
Charlton only ever went back to the Valley after being homeless for years, by making their views known in local elections
Yes, I think this is what I was getting at. Not looking for tactical voting across the board, but if there are certain candidates who are clearly very opposed, it would make sense to vote on that basis, and the same goes for any candidate who is 100% in favour.

As you say @Scotchegg, we should vote for those who best reflect our views. For this four year period getting a new stadium is possibly the thing I care about most, so it would make sense to vote in that way. We do need all candidates to understand the strength of feeling on this. It may be the difference between some of them sitting on the fence, and some coming out in favour of the new stadium. If they run on a ticket of supporting the stadium then it's easier to hold them to account in future.

My votes for Cllr Bob Johnston in the ward where I live and Layla Moran in the next GE will be very much based on their actions in relation to the stadium project. I too regard this as the No.1 issue of interest over the next couple of years.

My votes for Cllr Bob Johnston in the ward where I live and Layla Moran in the next GE will be very much based on their actions in relation to the stadium project. I too regard this as the No.1 issue of interest over the next couple of years.
I wrote to Bob Johnstone who gave me no real indication at all of where he stands on the matter.

His reply…

Thank you for your e-mail which I have read. This proposal will at some point generate a planning application, which is a quasi-judicial process. Sadly there is an arcane piece of planning law introduced by a previous Labour government which introduced the concept of “fettering one’s discretion”, basically if one has a public position on a planning matter (either for or against) one can be barred from speaking or voting on the matter. As this just might end up as a County vote at some point, I am reserving my position as I would wish to be free to speak and vote at that point. I will of course take your views into account when that happens.

Regards

Bob Johnston

I wrote to Bob Johnstone who gave me no real indication at all of where he stands on the matter.

His reply…

Thank you for your e-mail which I have read. This proposal will at some point generate a planning application, which is a quasi-judicial process. Sadly there is an arcane piece of planning law introduced by a previous Labour government which introduced the concept of “fettering one’s discretion”, basically if one has a public position on a planning matter (either for or against) one can be barred from speaking or voting on the matter. As this just might end up as a County vote at some point, I am reserving my position as I would wish to be free to speak and vote at that point. I will of course take your views into account when that happens.

Regards

Bob Johnston

What I think he is saying is that he can`t publically declare support or opposition as that would "feter his discretion" at County level, and he wouldn`t be able to speak or vote having expressed a view publically. 🤷‍♀️

Clubs that have used local leverage on all levels of politicians often have a favourable outcome - remember that when you cast your vote.

His reply…

Regards

Bob Johnston
Interesting as Ian Middleton has certainly 'fettered his position' against this proposal so according to that he can no longer speak or vote on this matter.

Have I understood this correctly?

Interesting as Ian Middleton has certainly 'fettered his position' against this proposal so according to that he can no longer speak or vote on this matter.

Politicians will often use this reasoning for not responding and it generally means they know how they would fall, but don’t wish to declare it publicly as it is a sensitive, vote losing matter with their constituents.

Not in all cases of course, but generally it’s a way of batting away delicate issues.

And generally it’ll be deployed by those who are minded to vote against a proposal, but again that’s not always the way.

Other Councillors on both sides of the debate do not shown such caution in their public statements, as we well know!

To "fetter discretion" is to ignore any argument or mitigation when coming to a decision and passing judgement based solely on policy or instruction.

Public bodies have a duty to consider all representations and so should not allow themselves to be "fettered".

I think Mr Johnstone is saying that he cannot declare to be for or against until he has listened to both sides, although I don't think the obligation passes down to the individual members of the council.

Last edited:
Does everyone remember Layla Moran's survey that was hastily launched via Kidlington Development Watch only a few days before the Cabinet meeting?

As requested I completed the survey and emailed my comments and today I got a response asking if I was a constituent. I'm not, so I doubt my comments will be noted.

I did ask however that as the survey was launched via the KDW only if she was only seeking the views of those opposed. I'll let you know what she/her staff say.

Last edited:

This is what I wondered, but then I suppose You could say the same about those councillors that have come out in favour,

This is what I wondered, but then I suppose You could say the same about those councillors that have come out in favour,
As more have been in favour than against I wonder if Cllr Middleton would sacrifice his vote to stop the supportive councillors?

Well, we don`t need to share with this lot anymore............. :ROFLMAO:

That period was so unpleasant.

The gall of some of their fans, slowly becoming more and more arrogant and rude on here was a real downer.

A bunch of mercenaries attempting to unseat a proud, community club. If and when we leave the Kassam, they’re more than welcome to reform and attempt to try and catapult a travelling rugby club into Blackbird Leys.

Am sure it would be as successful as their last attempt.

That period was so unpleasant.

The gall of some of their fans, slowly becoming more and more arrogant and rude on here was a real downer.

A bunch of mercenaries attempting to unseat a proud, community club. If and when we leave the Kassam, they’re more than welcome to reform and attempt to try and catapult a travelling rugby club into Blackbird Leys.

Am sure it would be as successful as their last attempt.

The highlights of games from 2013-14 are like something from the 1970s with the state of the pitch. It was embarrassing as we couldn't do anything about improving it. I couldn't have been happier when London Welsh went. Their poxy experiment failed (any appetite for rugby is contained to amateur sides or the university), their cuckoo-in-the-nest skulduggery to buy the stadium and have us as the tenant was exposed and they went bust. f**k them.

Someone on here suggested OUFC having a rugby team as a tenant at the new stadium. I'd rather forgo the cash entirely and have it as a football only stadium. The codes don't mix and are best kept separate. At most, I'd allow a varsity game there but only if the university wanted it and it was a once-a-season thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom