Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd assume we are negotiating if going for Des but the tweet regarding Charlton implied that they met the fee but CFG wouldn't release him still.
That’s not possible. A release clause means exactly that, it’s an amount of money to release one from a contract. The move cannot be blocked contactually. CFG would have to give permission for them to speak to their manager and they could refuse. But if they met the release then it’s More likely he didn’t want to leave at that time. Maybe because he was committed to the job in hand unlike Manning.

Any compensation will not be an issue. Those doing the recruitment will be looking for someone with good proven coaching credentials who is aligned with the club’s ambition and philosophy. He will also need to have shown he has done his homework on our current squad, our playing style and that he has plans for the rest of the season and beyond. If he ticks all these boxes then the money will be irrelevan.

That’s not possible. A release clause means exactly that, it’s an amount of money to release one from a contract. The move cannot be blocked contactually. CFG would have to give permission for them to speak to their manager and they could refuse. But if they met the release then it’s More likely he didn’t want to leave at that time. Maybe because he was committed to the job in hand unlike Manning.
Yes, this is what I was saying. The tweet is buried back in the thread now but it says Charlton were willing to pay it but CFG refused permission which didn't add up for me for the reasons you mention.

The scenes on here, when Steve Evans is seen holding a yellow and blue scarf above his head, and wearing an XXXXXL shirt.
Can't be right otherwise the OM would be talking about a compensation package for us fans not the other club.

Taking the Oxford Mail headline literally then it appears to discount the likes of Crofts and McCarthy on the basis they aren’t current managers.

As I pointed out earlier, the OM headline now removes the ambiguity, and leaves the field open to non-managers

Oxford United ‘agreeing compensation’ with club for new manager

Compared to the other candidates Buckingham’s employer compensation is likely excessive.

Plus he’s not got recent L1 , or even
EFL experience.( The receding one did have that experience. )

The fact that it’s an Oxfordshire homecoming for the ages may not in fact be value for money.

I’d be looking at the Brighton/Palace pair.
Hey, Manning's behaviour might have been disappointing, but let's leave his hairline out of this.

IIRC, Charlton were willing to meet the compensation (whatever it is) however CFG blocked the approach.

Do we think Charlton, Oxford (and supposedly Lincoln) were all prepared to drop 1m on compensation?
If there is a buy out clause then I don't know how CFG can block an approach?

It won't be Appleton, Crifts or Mc carty, I think Croft myself. Let's get them in and keep the ball rolling

As I pointed out earlier, the OM headline now removes the ambiguity, and leaves the field open to non-managers

Oxford United ‘agreeing compensation’ with club for new manager

Agree, i read that as our new manager (despite it being a head coach!) rather than their current manager. For me the only thing that is definitive from that headline is that its not Eustace (or anyone else currently out of work). It in no way means its Des. If there is a release clause for DB unless its negotiable I would think it actually means its more likely someone else.

Good point. If that’s the case then it can only be Buckingham, since Williams has ruled himself out today, Which is what I was told was the choice late on Monday bar any hiccups.
Any manager or assistant in current employment will have a contract, which will need negotiating out of...

Well how does anyone know if 1 million quid is accurate?
I very much doubt it given all the transfers in and out of the club are Undisclosed!
But I’m sure there will be IDK’s out there that claim they do.

Last edited:

They can’t, that’s the whole idea of a buy out clause. My assumption is Charlton made an approach but we’re unwilling to meet the compensation figure and that was that. Too late now but what would happen if, say, this was a longer summer managerial pursuit and DB got wind of interest in May (without any official approach), resigned three weeks later and took the new job in early to mid June ready for a full pre season ? It might look dodgy, as if he’d been tapped up (which he obviously would have been discreetly) but how does compensation work in this instance ? Let’s be honest a bloke from Oxford, working in Mumbai, has all the get out excuses he’d want - homesickness, culture etc.

Wonder why DB would really want to come back to cold, dreary, damp, insular, wintery UK after all that lovely southern hemisphere weather and culture.

The two things are completely separate. A buy out clause is an amount of money it would take to release a manager their contract. A club could not block the move by holding the manager in breach of contract. However a club needs permission to speak to a manager and a club can refuse that permission regardless of buy out clauses.

In Mannings case for example Bristol made an official approach to OUFC for him. The club could have refused Manning the opportunity to talk to Bristol. But if Manning, as he did, says I’d like to see what they’re offering. Then Bristol only needed to meet the buy out clause and he’s gone.

Refusing an official approach is a dodgy one because if the club refused when the manger wanted to leave the you have one unhappy manager.

Gut feeling is that we will have news on Friday. If they were negotiating yesterday, it will take 24 hours to organise press, photos etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom