Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manning's MK Dons were pumped full of money too when he took over a ready made decent team and didn't really need to do anything different. When the good players left and the money was reduced his team was rubbish and he was completely lost with what to do, and was quickly sacked as his team ended up being relegated.

Manning's Oxford were pumped full of money too with a very competitive league 1 budget this season and he managed to do well with it on an incredibly small sample of 15 games. When he first came in and he had no money to spend and had to make do with what he had got in his first 10 games he just about did enough to escape relegation, he certainly didn't pull up any trees and look anything more than very average.

All we need is a manager to get us promoted this season. This could be the best chance we have before we move to the new ground and having a club in the Championship next Summer is going to give a far better look to justify our need for a new stadium. On this basis I really couldn't care if it was Lampard, Eustace, Whitehead, or even Ainsworth, there is one job to do and as long as they do it then there can be no complaints. It's not just the manager, the owners need to realise the opportunity and player investment in January is an absolute must. Once in the Championship you then need to plan to stay there. But getting there in the first place is the most difficult part, and if this is achieved with a compromise on the style of play then maybe we just need to accept this when looking at the bigger long term picture.
It’s a good point. Obviously a new manager is distracting but a huge amount of focus is needed on the Jan window as well. We don’t need loads of new faces but some well chosen players in key positions is a must

It’s a good point. Obviously a new manager is distracting but a huge amount of focus is needed on the Jan window as well. We don’t need loads of new faces but some well chosen players in key positions is a must
Is it a good point? Manning had the same amount of money available this season than Karl did last. Let's not be revisionist about Manning, anyone can be given money to spend, but Manning made use of it when other managers haven't.

Let's not rewrite history with Manning (who I can't stand) he did a very good job getting the team last season playing in a coherent, organised way. It's not easy.
11 points in 12 games is no great feat. We stumbled over the line and stayed up as 4 teams were even worse than us. Granted, it wasn't his team however let's not rewrite history and say he saved us.

Is it a good point? Manning had the same amount of money available this season than Karl did last. Let's not be revisionist about Manning, anyone can be given money to spend, but Manning made use of it when other managers haven't.
The budget has increased

Sorry - I meant it’s a good point about not losing focus on January.

I think Buckingham would be like an experiment and too risky given where we are in the league at the moment. Managing in the EFL would be a hell of a lot different to what he's been managing in his career so far. I'm sure he'll progress but should we take a gamble on him right now?

I get the sentimentality towards Buckingham being Oxford born and bred. He’s certainly got Mumbai racing and has plenty of experience. Wellington Phoenix were a well run club too. Although based in New Zealand they play many games in Australia. My nephew was their physiotherapist and he was used to the travel and has given me an insight into how they are run.
I would think Lampard is more of a gamble given that he has failed spectacularly for Chelsea and Everton despite much support.
I would like Des Buckingham to come and work for us

I get the sentimentality towards Buckingham being Oxford born and bred. He’s certainly got Mumbai racing and has plenty of experience. Wellington Phoenix were a well run club too. Although based in New Zealand they play many games in Australia. My nephew was their physiotherapist and he was used to the travel and has given me an insight into how they are run.
I would think Lampard is more of a gamble given that he has failed spectacularly for Chelsea and Everton despite much support.
Phoenix play against Perth Glory in the A-league "distance derby" (5300 km - a bit like Oxford being in the same league as Tehran).

11 points in 12 games is no great feat. We stumbled over the line and stayed up as 4 teams were even worse than us. Granted, it wasn't his team however let's not rewrite history and say he saved us.

He did what he had to do to keep us up. We first became hard to beat and drew a series of games, including a couple of decent ones against Portsmouth and Sheffield Wednesday, and then won a couple of games when we really had to against also rans.

Done was better than perfect and it’s a fact that he earned enough points over four other teams to keep us up.

He’s a villain right now and understandably so. It doesn’t make his job here in keeping us up and having us in second now redundant.

This underplaying of what he did here is unfair even if his departure was sour.

Last edited:
Just listened to the Chris Short interview on RO. When asked who the club would be looking at he said something like ‘a young coach, with his badges, who has gained experience from around the world’

So basically Buckingham then..

Last edited:
Can Wayne Rooney be added to the potential manager position as BCFC could be well be sacking him very soon 🤣🤣🤣
I'd rather have Mickey mouse than Rooney but on the plus side he would bring some money to the Cowley road after all he likes prostitutes

Thank f**k for that.
From the chat on RO during the match build up, it’s difficult to look beyond Buckingham. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it’s almost as though they’re talking about him without actually saying his name at times. Nick Harris also talked about a coach who ‘has gained experience around the world’

From the chat on RO during the match build up, it’s difficult to look beyond Buckingham. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it’s almost as though they’re talking about him without actually saying his name at times. Nick Harris also talked about a coach who ‘has gained experience around the world’
And as they walk off for half-time at Orient, Jerome on commentary: 'we hope your enjoying this around the world, from Wellington to Mumbai........'
Yet another less than subtle hint that Buckingham is the main target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom