Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Eustace seems pretty interesting. Does anyone know his style of football?
Kidderminster when he was manager in the national league were known as the non league Barcelona!
If we could get him I'm coming round to the fact it could be an amazing fit.
Otherwise Des Buckingham ticks all the boxes for me.

I just wonder if Des Buckingham would want the job?

Other than a short spell with Stoke, he's spent the last eight years of his life living in Wellington, Melbourne & Mumbai

If he's a career guy, then yeah - he probably comes home because stepping into the manager's seat for us would be the next logical step up.

But if he's just a born adventurer? Maybe he stays where he is. Oxford is a beautiful town, but as exciting as Mumbai, it is not! And a trip to Stevenage doesn't quite get the pulse racing like I imagine an away game in Goa or Guwahati would.

Des Buckingham would be good but are we really going to go for someone already in post? I'm not convinced.
I think we might, this looks our best opportunity to get out of L1 and I‘d like to think we won’t be too moralistic in how we recruit our next manager. If we need to trample all over a smaller club to land our man then so be it.

Re Buckingham, I think it might be a struggle to get him out of India in the two week break - not literally but I don’t imagine he will be the easiest to recruit. Orient and Cheltenham should take care of themselves but ideally the new man will have had a week to bed in before we tackle Bolton.

I think we might, this looks our best opportunity to get out of L1 and I‘d like to think we won’t be too moralistic in how we recruit our next manager. If we need to trample all over a smaller club to land our man then so be it.

Re Buckingham, I think it might be a struggle to get him out of India in the two week break - not literally but I don’t imagine he will be the easiest to recruit. Orient and Cheltenham should take care of themselves but ideally the new man will have had a week to bed in before we tackle Bolton.
Not so much the morals but the cost I was thinking about.

John Eustace seems pretty interesting. Does anyone know his style of football?
Yes, I've got a couple of friends who are season ticket holders at St Andrews and he's definitely not the continuity candidate.
Birmingham were well organised at the back but relied for most of their goals on either set pieces or high balls into the box for big men up front. It worked for the squad he had in that he got them to 7th.
He was sacked because the new American owners wanted a more modern, progressive, possession style of play (I'll refrain from using the term Manningball because I assume that's now banned).
Rooney is trying to implement the new style but he's trying to do it with the players he inherited who, to quote my mates 'can't play out from the back, can't press and struggle to keep possession'. They reckon it will take Rooney a couple of windows at least to bin off many of the Eustace players and rebuild the squad.
If we employed Eustace we would face the same squad rebuild as Rooney - but in reverse.

Didn't Barry-Murphy get Rochdale relegated in his only senior management gig?

I know they were arguably punching above their weight in League One, but it was surely Keith Hill that got them there and Barry-Murphy that let it slide.

Being a decent coach for Man City's kids doesn't necessarily make him a good League One manager.......
Rochdale supporting mate didn’t have anything nice to say about Barry Murphy… Hope we stay clear

Mumbai City had a crowd of about 30,000 for their Asian Champions League game against Al Hilal yesterday!

You can call them young and lacking in history, say they play in an inferior league or cast aspersions on the quality of their football (probably - I don't really know how good the ISL is.....but I'm guessing not very given the state of the Indian national team).

But I'm not sure that the 'smaller club' label fits. And we're certainly not going to be able to outspend them!

Would Michael Beale be interested I wonder? Bit of a come down from Rangers, but not sure where he goes next either.

I know that it will offend those who are against clubs poaching managers in leagues below them, but I would go all out to get Luke Williams and Ryan Harley from Notts County, and I don't care about previous links with Swindon. To get young and forward thinking managers who have EFL experience and are already succeeding is rare, and I think they would provide stability initially, but also the ability to develop and grow more.

Notts County play 3-4-2-1, with the ball frequently played out from the RCB and LCB. With what we currently have, I would look at setting up with;

Beadle
Negru Moore Brown
Mills Brannagan McGuane Leigh
Rodrigues Boden/Browne
Harris
More details on how Williams sets his team up is detailed on the link below.

Seeing as it is looking likely that we will be seeking a new manager, then thought it best to have a separate thread

And if it doesn't happen, we lock this thread and pretend it never happened.

Managers in work that are either doing well with current clubs and/or fit the Manning style mould (assuming we look for a similar approach)

L2
Luke Williams
Lee Bell

Conference
Andy Woodman (Bromley in 3rd)
Andy Whing (Solihull in 4th)
Phil Parkinson (Altrincham in 5th)
Feels a big jump for all 3 though

Prem Coaching Roles/U21s/Academies
Brian Barry-Murphy
Ryan Mason
Paddy McCarthy

Abroad
Stephen Bradley
Des Buckingham

Then the out of work managers that appeal to me:
- John Eustace
- Leam Richardson
Would add
Andrew Crofts and lee Carsley the u21 list
Damien Duff to mangers abroad

I know that it will offend those who are against clubs poaching managers in leagues below them, but I would go all out to get Luke Williams and Ryan Harley from Notts County, and I don't care about previous links with Swindon. To get young and forward thinking managers who have EFL experience and are already succeeding is rare, and I think they would provide stability initially, but also the ability to develop and grow more.

Notts County play 3-4-2-1, with the ball frequently played out from the RCB and LCB. With what we currently have, I would look at setting up with;

Beadle
Negru Moore Brown
Mills Brannagan McGuane Leigh
Rodrigues Boden/Browne
Harris
More details on how Williams sets his team up is detailed on the link below.

My choice too. Seems to tick more boxes than most others mentioned and obviously his footballing philosophy fits nicely with how we are currently set up. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if County receive an approach from us to, at the very least, speak to Williams. If this was back in March and County were where they are now then we wouldn’t have looked too convincing an option for him but ANY L2 manager is going to view this job now as a serious step up.

• React
Reactions: Ian
My choice too. Seems to tick more boxes than most others mentioned and obviously his footballing philosophy fits nicely with how we are currently set up. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if County receive an approach from us to, at the very least, speak to Williams. If this was back in March and County were where they are now then we wouldn’t have looked too convincing an option for him but ANY L2 manager is going to view this job now as a serious step up.

Going to depend on what's in Williams' contract.

Supposedly Pompey were sniffing around just before they appointed Mous, and Notts County responded by giving him a deal that lasts until summer 2027.

If there's a release clause then we may have a chance; but if they offered him good enough money that he agreed to go without one then Notts County might tell us where to go. They won't want to lose him, and don't need our money.

If we are supposed to be a more attractive proposition now then I wouldn't expect to see too many of the usual suspects again -interesting to see who applies anyway if we aren't in the poaching game ourselves!

Wasn't he close last time but the board decided on Manning instead?
He wasn’t seriously considered and can’t imagine he will be this time either. If I had to guess I think it’ll be someone who hasn’t been mentioned anywhere yet, but who knows. Williams would be exciting, something perfect about the manager who relegated Swindon from League One taking us up out of it. He’s shown at Notts County what an exciting and forward thinking coach he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom