Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Google 'Garry Monk agent Middlesbrough '... it's a continuing legal process, do best to say no more. But he won't be coming to us, I suspect

Des Buckingham is the clear and obvious top choice, but also would appear to be the most difficult to actually achieve. Other than him I'm not seeing anyone that jumps out as a very good option.

Ryan Mason is one of the names in the betting odds that sounds somewhat intriguing - only so long he can carry on picking up the pieces from the sacked Spurs managers before he wants something permanent.

Nathan Jones - No thanks! He left Luton Town when they were top.
Garry Monk - His career has sort of stagnated into nothingness.
Danny Cowley - Just no. I'd rather handpick some random from Cowley than him with his twin/brother/cousin or whoever the other one is.
Steve Cotterill - A great and highly respected EFL manager but not for us and where we want to be.
Gareth Ainsworth - His football is even more dull than Liam Manning's even if he is more successful than that Poundland Eddie Howe.
Des Buckingham - An ideal candidate but it's never the right time to bring him in. Probably miss out on his services again.
Craig Short - A coach and caretaker but a job like this will probably be too much for him and he'd need an assistant on top.
Leam Richardson - Good and proven candidate and one likely to last more than 5 minutes.
Joey Barton - God no!

Also no thanks to washed up ones like Warnock, Wilder and all those.

Nathan Jones - No thanks! He left Luton Town when they were top.
Garry Monk - His career has sort of stagnated into nothingness.
Danny Cowley - Just no. I'd rather handpick some random from Cowley than him with his twin/brother/cousin or whoever the other one is.
Steve Cotterill - A great and highly respected EFL manager but not for us and where we want to be.
Gareth Ainsworth - His football is even more dull than Liam Manning's even if he is more successful than that Poundland Eddie Howe.
Des Buckingham - An ideal candidate but it's never the right time to bring him in. Probably miss out on his services again.
Craig Short - A coach and caretaker but a job like this will probably be too much for him and he'd need an assistant on top.
Leam Richardson - Good and proven candidate and one likely to last more than 5 minutes.
Joey Barton - God no!

Also no thanks to washed up ones like Warnock, Wilder and all those.
Luke Williams - fits the criteria we will be looking at but I can’t see us prising him out of Notts County. Plus being an ex-Swindon manager will probably go against him

John Eustace - One I would be happy with

Des Buckingham is the clear and obvious top choice, but also would appear to be the most difficult to actually achieve.
Why difficult to achieve? Because of location etc. and all the upheaval?

Not sure about the likes of Rowett, Monk etc. Feel a bit journeyman to me now, five or six years ago definitely but their stock has dropped. Considering it's the same board picking this manager I'll be surprised if they deviate too far away from another Manning type manager albeit one with a degree of loyalty. I think we will swerve the big names as well as those in the 50+ bracket.
Monk definitely not, Rowett is the wrong fit in terms of playing style.

Luke Williams - fits the criteria we will be looking at but I can’t see us prising him out of Notts County. Plus being an ex-Swindon manager will probably go against him

John Eustace - One I would be happy with
Luke Williams would be great but agreed on him not leaving NC. Then again I thought Manning would stay with us.

Would Eustace come to us or hang about for another Championship Club?

Last edited:
Does Buckingham have an assistant and other staff that have stuck with him at his various clubs?

I think Des Buckingham must have a terrific lifestyle in Mumbai, and with his links to NZ etc I wonder if he'd really wan to come back to grey old England?

I think Des Buckingham must have a terrific lifestyle in Mumbai, and with his links to NZ etc I wonder if he'd really wan to come back to grey old England?
Yes, he's got the money, the food, the culture and the climate but do they serve a decent pint of Bishop's Finger?

Last edited:
If we're recommending people without experience of managing or playing in the men's game then I would also like to put forward Mark "the Beast" Labbett from ITV's The Chase.

Mark has an incredible record on The Chase and he certainly knows his stuff.

There is no transferable skills between the men's and women's game for managers, yet male coaches are coaching in the women's game.........

I don't know much about the bloke but you'd have thought he must be looking at career progression and coming back to his home town must have some appeal.

Cue Mumbai FC forum going mad that he might even consider such a thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom