Manager/Coach KR on 5 minute forum this week

One of the later enquiries was a bit of a leading question
I was slightly surprised to hear it asked

Summary

What’s going on with Baldock & Murphy?
Josh Murphy trained today and will tomorrow, then a decision will be made for Saturday, but it is also about making sure he stays fit for the rest of the season.
Closer and closer with Murphy, Yanic and decent news on Joseph.
(Didn’t make any reference to Baldock despite him being included in the question)

Do you regret signing Murphy, Wildschut, Jones & Smyth?
Why were Baldock & Jones given new deals?

Baldock & Gorrin given new deals as we needed players in the building who knew what we were doing and had been part of a successful squad the season before.
Baldock contract mainly based on playing time so don’t regret that.
Murphy was a left field signing.
Criticism of Wildschut is poor, freak injury – tear off the bone, excellent prior fitness record over 10 years.
(No comment given on others)

Do you regret leaving the squad 3/4 players short?
Why did we not pursue other targets?

We did pursue other targets but for reasons out of our direct control, they didn’t happen.
Competitive budget that has been spread out.
To be in middle table after injuries to Category A players is down to some of the squad depth, if we didn’t have that then might be in the bottom 4.
References MK Dons being in a difficult place after a great season.
At end of window, we felt we were maybe a player short in a certain position but unfair to comment on which.

What does Jodi Jones need to do to get more game time?
What he is doing at this moment in time, which is training well.
Also brought in based on a pay as you play situation due to his last few seasons.
Probably would have started at Woking but for international duty.
Getting closer and is starting to work harder (in my view) and is starting to look the player he was before injuries.

Have we started process of January recruitment?
Are there any positions that you feel we are short in?

We’re short in 2 very big positions, don’t want to comment on them given time before window and number of matches.
Have a recruitment committee, processes are improving window by window.
Clarity from the takeover completion.
This window and the one after have plans developing continuously.

Will we sign a left-back?
Will Stevens be back and therefore McGinty out on loan?
Are we going to get another out and out striker to allow Taylor to be challenged for place?

Closest one to the mark but will refrain from commenting, agree with most aspects.
Working round the clock to get competition for LB and Striker.
Tremendous competition amongst GKs, Ed motm at Woking, Easty motm on Saturday, Jack doing well out on loan.
Ultimately down to the GK department as part of a more joined up decision.

Why don’t we leave some players up the pitch when defending corners? Lewis Bate isn’t going to win a header v a 6ft 3in player
That’s a question that clearly hasn’t seen the data we do.
When we leave players up the pitch, we have conceded more goals. You could turn this question around as well.
We give up certain areas to make sure we defend our goal.
Tweaks made every week to approach.
Over the moon with Mous’ set play work.

Is there a tipping point at which Karl Robinson says I’ve failed to achieve the levels that are required and then resigns?
No, no, come on. 2 playoff campaigns, beaten PL sides, record points tally, goals scored.
Had a bad start to the season.

Would you ever consider being OUFC Sporting Director?
No.
Waffle about time in the game, win record then about the people above him being why the club in a good place. And the club being in a particular direction

Has the new CEO coming in had an impact on your role?
Yes, in fact, all tremendous people involved day to day. Speak most days to Tim Williams.

Women’s Team not been beaten at home for 3 years. How can men’s team learn from this?
Obviously totally different with the size of the stadium/attendances.
Women’s team has been fantastic and is growing.
Apart from this season, home form for us has been good.
But incredibly poor this season, we know that. Firstly, we have to play better.

In an imaginary world, Oxford go up AND win the FA Cup, but Liverpool come down and don’t go up for 10 years, do you take that deal?
Yes 100%.

Summary

Josh Murphy trained today and will tomorrow, then a decision will be made for Saturday, but it is also about making sure he stays fit for the rest of the season.
(Didn’t make any reference to Baldock despite him being included in the question)

Baldock & Gorrin given new deals as we needed players in the building who knew what we were doing and had been part of a successful squad the season before.
Criticism of Wildschut is poor, freak injury – tear off the bone, excellent prior fitness record over 10 years.

We did pursue other targets but for reasons out of our direct control, they didn’t happen.
To be in middle table after injuries to Category A players is down to some of the squad depth, if we didn’t have that then might be in the bottom 4.
At end of window, we felt we were maybe a player short in a certain position but unfair to comment on which.

Also brought in based on a pay as you play situation due to his last few seasons.
Getting closer and is starting to work harder (in my view) and is starting to look the player he was before injuries.

We’re short in 2 very big positions, don’t want to comment on them given time before window and number of matches.

Are we going to get another out and out striker to allow Taylor to be challenged for place?

Closest one to the mark but will refrain from commenting, agree with most aspects.
Tremendous competition amongst GKs, Ed motm at Woking, Easty motm on Saturday, Jack doing well out on loan.

Why don’t we leave some players up the pitch when defending corners? Lewis Bate isn’t going to win a header v a 6ft 3in player
When we leave players up the pitch, we have conceded more goals. You could turn this question around as well.

Is there a tipping point at which Karl Robinson says I’ve failed to achieve the levels that are required and then resigns?
No, no, come on. 2 playoff campaigns, beaten PL sides, record points tally, goals scored.

No.
Waffle about time in the game, win record then about the people above him being why the club in a good place. And the club being in a particular direction

Yes, in fact, all tremendous people involved day to day. Speak most days to Tim Williams.

Women’s Team not been beaten at home for 3 years. How can men’s team learn from this?

In an imaginary world, Oxford go up AND win the FA Cup, but Liverpool come down and don’t go up for 10 years, do you take that deal?
Yes 100%.

Some of answers are laughable.

Comes across so egotistical.

You forgot the part where he brags about having over a 40% win record in his career, which is quite easily done when you don’t really achieve anything tangible, as you’re never moving up a level and fighting to compete in the division the following season. Robinson has a better career win percentage than Neil Warnock, who holds the record for most promotions in English football with eight, because he bobs about close enough to the top to look good and keep his job, rather than taking teams up.

Statistics for idiots.

You forgot the part where he brags about having over a 40% win record in his career, which is quite easily done when you don’t really achieve anything tangible, as you’re never moving up a level and fighting to compete in the division the following season. Robinson has a better career win percentage than Neil Warnock, who holds the record for most promotions in English football with eight, because he bobs about close enough to the top to look good and keep his job, rather than taking teams up.

Statistics for idiots.
Hey, what about being top scorers in the EFL over the last 5 seasons though?

I didn’t listen to the interview (I really can’t bear to listen to him rambling incoherently) but reading the answers here it’s clear he avoids the difficult questions . A three-pointed question allows him to conveniently leave out one of the answers. Why aren’t his responses FOLLOWED UP?? He gets away with so much, makes me angry.
I’ll refrain from insulting him but he leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I enjoyed him saying that he wouldn’t name the two positions that need strengthening, before confirming the two positions which need strengthening.

giphy.gif

When did we last leave someone up front when defending a corner, we must have conceded so we can't do it again the statistics say so.

Summary

No.

Yes 100%.
“Working round the clock to get competition for LB and striker”

What does that actually mean ffs? Is it really necessary to have to ‘work around the clock’ to recruit? KR uses this term a lot when he ultimately fails to sign players. Surely something isn’t working if this is really what’s needed and indicates an inefficient system. It’s not like he’s having to scramble around to sign 16 new players in a fortnight! Maybe I’m being naive but it just sounds like a lazy sound bite to me to appease the fan base. A bit like his LOVE for the club, the amazing people he has around him and his passion.

Edit: Just to clarify he’s working ‘round the clock’ for these two players well over a month before the window opens and will probably sign them on the last day of January (if at all). Having said that he’s failed on the LB front for over a year now.

Last edited:

Statistics for idiots.
I fell asleep

Reminds me of going on the Waltzer as a kid:

"Can I get off this, Mum? I really don't like it."

"No, YOU wanted to come on it and now you're stuck on it until it finishes. You'd better not be sick."

I was.

“Working round the clock to get competition for LB and striker”

What does that actually mean ffs?

You already knew the answer :)
Maybe I’m being naive but it just sounds like a lazy sound bite to me to appease the fan base. A bit like his LOVE for the club, the amazing people he has around him and his passion.

Back
Top Bottom