55 Minute Fans Forum

You only have to look at Roofe to see what dropping down a few leagues to play regular football can do.

There is little benefit other than financially for players to play in EPL2 teams, or to sit on the bench on loan in the Championship.

I'd also think that this last third of the season may have turned a few player's minds, from thinking that they are in a club destined fot bottom half football again next season, to a strong group of players who never give up and may be challenging for promotion.

We will pay League 1 wages.
There are different options no doubt. So we take home on loan for the final year from Everton and they pay most of his wages.
Or they pay him out of his contract which allows us to take him on a League 1 salary.

Exactly right, and depending on how often he would like to play will result in the salary he can expect to earn.

The probability of a regular game at Oxford and he will be on a league 1 wage.
Possibility of sitting on the bench in the Championship with occasional start &/ or not even in the squad at all, but with a decent Championship salary.
See out remaining year of contract in the Premier League with very nice salary but absolutely no chance of first team football.

Individuals are all different. Roofe wanted to play games and came to Oxford. Marvin Johnson had the chance to return to Oxford on loan for regular football but decided he was happy sitting on the bench or not featuring at all.

Exactly right, and depending on how often he would like to play will result in the salary he can expect to earn.

The probability of a regular game at Oxford and he will be on a league 1 wage.
Possibility of sitting on the bench in the Championship with occasional start &/ or not even in the squad at all, but with a decent Championship salary.
See out remaining year of contract in the Premier League with very nice salary but absolutely no chance of first team football.

Individuals are all different. Roofe wanted to play games and came to Oxford. Marvin Johnson had the chance to return to Oxford on loan for regular football but decided he was happy sitting on the bench or not featuring at all.

Or staying on his Everton salary and being loaned for a final year. Which I think is most likely (but not necessarily with us).

Or staying on his Everton salary and being loaned for a final year. Which I think is most likely (but not necessarily with us).

Yes there’s that option as well which Foley suggested in the post I was replying to, and I agree that looks the most likely prospect.

Yes there’s that option as well which Foley suggested in the post I was replying to, and I agree that looks the most likely prospect.

It’s certainly what I’d do if I were him. His stock is certainly decent right now for a good loan move - whether with us or something slightly more ambitious up the pyramid.

It’s certainly what I’d do if I were him. His stock is certainly decent right now for a good loan move - whether with us or something slightly more ambitious up the pyramid.

The comparisons with Todd Kane are not too dissimilar.

Came to Oxford on loan from a Premier League club, had been there from a young age?
At the end of a successful loan spell the player still has a year left on his contract.

Todd Kane went to Championship side Hull City (still on loan) and has made 39 appearances this season.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I'm sure the club will be looking at various ways to acquire the service of Garbutt but as has been said he wants regular football and with his recent run and performances in the side I'm sure he knows he would get regular football and he maybe prepared to take a wage cut to achieve regular football, as with Roofe a year here on what we could afford to pay him and then a transfer at the end of the season which could be big bucks for us as well as big bucks for Garbutt.

It is of course an option, he'll have to choose carefully though...if you go out on loan on the last year of your contract and get injured or are not playing due to bad form then you'll be out of contract and into the football wilderness faster than you know it.

When his career is finished, he'll look back at what he does in June 2019 as the pivotal moment.

Back
Top Bottom