55 Minute Fans Forum

If Graham was available I would take him as I think with his injuries that he has had and the way Lambert treated him may have affected him but if he was to come here with a season long loan with a view to buying him, at least a season to try and get him back to what he was like in his first spell at the club, but would definitely take Garbutt back.

Sam Long, Ruffs and the artist formerly known as Luke Garbage getting all the plaudits, who'd a thunk it eh?

They’re the new Danny Hylton, Andy Whing, Simon Eastwood etc etc!

Related to that, I had a little sigh when KR suggested Hylts wouldn’t be available. Come home lad!

With regard to Jordan Graham, just because he's not being immediately pursued doesn't mean that we don't rate him or that he no longer has a future with us. At this stage of the season many players will go back to their clubs to be assessed before and after the summer break. It maybe that Wolves have ruled out anything until they've seen him back in July. Whereas West Ham and Everton may have indicated that there are deals to be done with Browne and Garbutt so we are pursuing them first. Its rarely black and white and not flagging him up now doesn't mean that he's s**t or disinterested!

It's easy to say let's keep Garbutt after a good patch of form at the end of the season, but many are forgetting his wages. He's on 20k+ a week at Everton! Signing him again will make him one of our top earners and virtually our marquee signing. I'd rather spend our top dollar on more vital areas such as Nelsons replacement and a striker.

It's easy to say let's keep Garbutt after a good patch of form at the end of the season, but many are forgetting his wages. He's on 20k+ a week at Everton! Signing him again will make him one of our top earners and virtually our marquee signing. I'd rather spend our top dollar on more vital areas such as Nelsons replacement and a striker.

We’re obviously not gonna sign him on anything near that, but he knows he needs to play football, if he wants it to be here he will have to accept an offer that reflects his position

Yes, we are going to have to cut our cloth according to our means. I'm sure Garbutt would love to stay where he is getting loads of time on the pitch and improving as a player. Whether he'd trade that for a huge cut in wages is an open question! (Although I don't know how much longer he is contracted to Everton for - so it might be us or another club rather than us or Everton)
Graham is a funny one. The bloke is obviously a talent and a bit earlier on in the season, it started to show. Not consistently, but enough to think he was going to blossom. And it didn't really happen. Cost might again be an issue - and are we better trying to find another 'diamond in the rough' (or two) rather than hope that another season with us would means he finally produces the goods? If Hall is anything like fit by the start of the season, would we need him?

Why would Garbutt not just see our his last year on big money at Everton and go on loan somewhere? He can play and get paid very highly. None of us would walk away from that amount of cash so why would he?

We’re obviously not gonna sign him on anything near that, but he knows he needs to play football, if he wants it to be here he will have to accept an offer that reflects his position
I think we could only tempt him here by making us one of our highest earners, which is why we should look elsewhere IMO. He's been half decent for the final quarter of the season, but was poor previous to that.

I think we could only tempt him here by making us one of our highest earners, which is why we should look elsewhere IMO. He's been half decent for the final quarter of the season, but was poor previous to that.
Garbutt is a young man who has barely played. He has been earning around £1m a year on this contract, and a fair few bob before that. He does not need to chase the money, but does need to play and play regularly. He could see out his contract at Everton but end up with nothing at the end of it. Or he could potentially sign a 3 year deal with us that could keep him playing and (hopefully) bring him success.

Garbutt is a young man who has barely played. He has been earning around £1m a year on this contract, and a fair few bob before that. He does not need to chase the money, but does need to play and play regularly. He could see out his contract at Everton but end up with nothing at the end of it. Or he could potentially sign a 3 year deal with us that could keep him playing and (hopefully) bring him success.
"He doesn't need to chase the money". I wonder if you'd feel the same in his position? A footballers career is short, I'm sure he and the others would like to earn as much as they can whilst they're able to play. I can understand taking pay cuts in order to play and progress careers, which many do, but not quite to that extent. I'm not sure I would drop from £25k a week to possibly under £5k a week just to play, especially when I have a guaranteed year left!

"He doesn't need to chase the money". I wonder if you'd feel the same in his position? A footballers career is short, I'm sure he and the others would like to earn as much as they can whilst they're able to play. I can understand taking pay cuts in order to play and progress careers, which many do, but not quite to that extent. I'm not sure I would drop from £25k a week to possibly under £5k a week just to play, especially when I have a guaranteed year left!

He's already earned a huge amount, and is set for life. He doesn't come across as being someone who just wants to sit out his contract. He had a tough first few months and was dropped. He could have sat back and still been paid, but instead he trained hard and fought for a place back, albeit further up the pitch. You could see from his goal against Charlton what it meant to him, and you would hope that he would rather have more of that than simply sitting at Everton counting his cash!

He's already earned a huge amount, and is set for life. He doesn't come across as being someone who just wants to sit out his contract. He had a tough first few months and was dropped. He could have sat back and still been paid, but instead he trained hard and fought for a place back, albeit further up the pitch. You could see from his goal against Charlton what it meant to him, and you would hope that he would rather have more of that than simply sitting at Everton counting his cash!
Sound like you're related to him! :oops: All total pie in the sky guesswork. He's set to earn another £1m this year, I'm not sure anyone would turn that down in a heartbeat! He could play out on loan somewhere for 1 more year before signing a permanent contract with a paycut and then progressing his career.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Sound like you're related to him! :oops: All total pie in the sky guesswork. He's set to earn another £1m this year, I'm not sure anyone would turn that down in a heartbeat! He could play out on loan somewhere for 1 more year before signing a permanent contract with a paycut and then progressing his career.
Of course it's guesswork. As is yours. We don't know, but his attitude during his time with us and the fact that we are actively pursuing a deal would indicate that something could happen.

Of course it's guesswork. As is yours. We don't know, but his attitude during his time with us and the fact that we are actively pursuing a deal would indicate that something could happen.
Garbutt earning over £1m a year isn't guesswork, that's the wage he's on! And stating he'd think twice earning a quarter of the money isn't really guesswork either. You seem absolutely certain a deal is on the cards and he'd take the cut based on him training hard? I'm not sure I want our top earning player to be Luke Garbutt anyway, I would rather we were in for strikers and centre backs as our top earners. Maybe we can convince Everton a season long loan with us paying less?

The thing with Garbutt is that he has already said that is more important he is playing next season rather than being about money. How that shakes out later is to be seen.

Garbutt earning over £1m a year isn't guesswork, that's the wage he's on! And stating he'd think twice earning a quarter of the money isn't really guesswork either. You seem absolutely certain a deal is on the cards and he'd take the cut based on him training hard? I'm not sure I want our top earning player to be Luke Garbutt anyway, I would rather we were in for strikers and centre backs as our top earners. Maybe we can convince Everton a season long loan with us paying less?

I haven't said his wages are guesswork, but neither you or I know his plans so it is guesswork about whether or not he will cut his wages and to what level.

Equally we have no idea whether he will be the top earner or not. So, you don't need to worry yourself about that yet!

The facts are that he has earned £1m a year since signing his present contract. He hasn't played many games. He was dropped. He worked hard and got back into the side. He performed well in the last third of a season.

Putting that together could show that he may be willing to put his career ahead of his pay. It may not. That's guesswork! But to be so adamant that it won't happen is ridiculous!

A heartening set of responses in general.
Bit concerned about number 17. I hope that our manager is soon made fully aware of who actually owns OUFC! Then we might be told as well.

Personally I hope it turns out to be Thohrir. Tiger seems to be the weakest of the crew.
We will pay League 1 wages.
There are different options no doubt. So we take home on loan for the final year from Everton and they pay most of his wages.
Or they pay him out of his contract which allows us to take him on a League 1 salary.

Back
Top Bottom