Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry is obviously gone (wait for someone to say put him on the coaching staff now) but I hope its the same with the other two, you have to have higher standards than what Browne and Murphy are able to give you, even on cheap deals where is the value? With Edwards added as well, a player with no real history of playing a lot we are carrying a lot of attackers but still light there due to how little we get out of so many of them.
Yeah but we need to make sure we have enough great lads around the dressing room ahead of next season. Who will take the baton if Henry goes??

Yeah but we need to make sure we have enough great lads around the dressing room ahead of next season. Who will take the baton if Henry goes??

I am sure someone will get injured and fill that role, its the one position we have never struggled with.

It’s hideous the amount of money we must be paying out each week to Murphy, Browne, Bodin, Henry, Findlay still, Seddon still. Thankfully the crossover between who is out of contract this summer and who’s capable of staying fit and performing is pretty small.

Thought the 343/433 comments from Des made sense today. It’s certainly possible to build a squad that can be flexible between those two dependent on who we’re playing and who’s available.

Personally, I’m absolutely delighted for Jodi Jones that he’s gone on to have a great spell at Notts with a possible move to the champ incoming.

Back when he was at OUFC and being ostracised by Robinson, a couple of us on here were calling it for what it was from KR, but we were regularly shot down by his apologists.

Turns out that Jones is a bloody good footballer, with a terrific attitude and is likely to be two divisions above his former manager, soon. Oh the irony.

Fair play to the lad.

Last edited:
Agree.
I am.not sure if Arthur Turner is advocating us simply closing down the Academy?
It takes time. We seem to have had 3 to 4 young players go to PL clubs and of course Goodrham, Baptiste, O' Donkor have been mire regular first team players ( if we sold Goodrham how much wouod he be worth ?)
If you see the success of Reading in bringing very good Championship players through the academy, this is something I assume we will be aiming for in time.

And it isn't just for the profit we will hopefully make ( and getting 4 to 5 players in the first team at a time). Isn't it great seeing local players in.the first team?
Presumably it generates lots of additional interest in the community, which in turn means more people becoming Oxford United supporters.

The other thing is whilst teams pick up players released by us and they may move on to higher levels such as Matty Taylor, likewise we do the same off of other clubs' ex Academy players.

Yes, I think we really need to blow a rival out of the water (Charlton in this instance) and land a striker of repute (Goodwin) on a permanent before we can really talk about deep pockets and proper statements of intent. Up to this point, we are a club in the mix but not quite getting over the line with this sort of signing - maybe a bit reflective of how we are generally as a club. 15 days left to buck that trend and become proper players in this race for the automatics.
It's not a pissing contest though. If we want the player we will have a valuation that we won't exceed. This isn't about being a big club or making statements its about being run properly.

My deep pockets comment was referring to our wage budget, which as many have stated on here is perhaps top 3, certainly top 6. I think the perception from the rest of the league and wider media is that we are punching above our weight due to the recent history and 'size' of some of the other clubs in and around us.

Just heard that Will Goodwin is subject to an improved bid from Charlton just an hour ago. Might well miss out on him now

It's not a pissing contest though. If we want the player we will have a valuation that we won't exceed. This isn't about being a big club or making statements its about being run properly.

My deep pockets comment was referring to our wage budget, which as many have stated on here is perhaps top 3, certainly top 6. I think the perception from the rest of the league and wider media is that we are punching above our weight due to the recent history and 'size' of some of the other clubs in and around us.
If it's true that our wage budget is top 3 in the league, then I don't think we're punching above our weight at all

If it's true that our wage budget is top 3 in the league, then I don't think we're punching above our weight at all
I am talking about the perception from outside the OUFC fraternity.

In this case Charlton seem to think they would be able to offer a more financially lucrative package to Goodwin as they are a 'bigger' club and we are just Oxford. The reality I suspect is that we could match if not exceed their offer to the player. That doesn't mean that we should or are going to match the £400K figure mooted above

Charlton's latest bid will be accepted. Its 400k plus add on's so 1/2million and a sell on.. Madness.

That's a big call. I don't think he's worth that - based on a couple of months form. However, that's what analysts and recruitment teams are for so if we rate him and his attributes so be it. He certainly has a resale value and/or potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom