Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I think we live in a time where any player who has a good/promising few months is automatically worth a few hundred thousand. If we want to bring any players in on anything other than a loan or a free then we're always going to be talking about considerable sums, unless we look to places like Ireland/NI (and even there players are getting pricier).

There probably are some bargains out there but even traditionally 'smaller' clubs can, and do, now ask for considerable fees for players.

Unfortunately, I think we live in a time where any player who has a good/promising few months is automatically worth a few hundred thousand. If we want to bring any players in on anything other than a loan or a free then we're always going to be talking about considerable sums, unless we look to places like Ireland/NI (and even there players are getting pricier).

There probably are some bargains out there but even traditionally 'smaller' clubs can, and do, now ask for considerable fees for players.
though we seem to sell our assets at bargain basement prices compared to other clubs

That's the job of the recruitment team. Cheltenham took Goodwin out of Stoke for £20k 12 months ago. That's great business for them.

Charlton's latest bid will be accepted. Its 400k plus add on's so 1/2million and a sell on.. Madness.
We’ve got £400k available apparently, so why not use it if we think he’s worth it? It’s not just the now, but the value he could eventually be worth if he delivers. Personally I don’t know much about him, but I’d like to see us prove the 400k exists, take the chance and prove we are serious about a promotion push and building a quality squad. We may have other irons in the fire but we need a couple of strikers minimum, so if we really have the money we shouldn’t be losing out to Charlton on a financial basis anyway

Last edited:
I really think our best option is to get two loan attackers in at this stage.

Just say we manage to finish in the playoffs and somehow luck is on our side and we get promoted.Marriott and Goodwin are not good enough for the Championship and we will have paid good money for them and they are on the wage bill but not playing.

We would then have only 4/5 players on our books who would be good enough for the Championship.Brannagan, Moore, Brown Leigh and Rodrigues.

A complete rebuild would be required in the summer and what you don’t want are players costing you money who are not good enough

I appreciate the permanent signing of a striker may take a bit more time, but where is the loan option (or two)? Harry Leonard was apparently imminent 10 days ago, but has since started for Blackburn in The Championship. So who's the next target and where are they?

The clock is ticking.

We've got 20 games left this season and 1/5th of these take place  before the end of the window. 4 big games, 2 against promotion rivals and 2 against tricky mid-table outfits in decent form.

I completely accept the whole 'domino' thing, but that won't apply to every target and we're so light up top we need at least one in now. It's one thing to get by against a poor Carlisle side, but the thought of relying on GO'D to dig us out of a potential whole against Northampton or Barnsley doesn't fill me with much confidence.

We really need another option up top before the weekend. Fingers crossed for an expected klaxon.

I really think our best option is to get two loan attackers in at this stage.

Just say we manage to finish in the playoffs and somehow luck is on our side and we get promoted.Marriott and Goodwin are not good enough for the Championship and we will have paid good money for them and they are on the wage bill but not playing.

We would then have only 4/5 players on our books who would be good enough for the Championship.Brannagan, Moore, Brown Leigh and Rodrigues.

A complete rebuild would be required in the summer and what you don’t want are players costing you money who are not good enough
Entirely agree with this.

That's the job of the recruitment team. Cheltenham took Goodwin out of Stoke for £20k 12 months ago. That's great business for them.
Buying young/youth players from top end Championship or Premier League clubs is probably one of the few ways to get proper bargains now. They're all loaded and their academies churn out so many youngsters that they're more likely to be willing to let those players who they don't think will make it go fairly cheap.

Just thinking about it, that strategy has worked fairly well for us in recent years. Off the top of my head, Roofe, Brannagan, Ledson, Lundstram, McGuane, Henry, Moore we all got from Premier League youth teams or higher end Championship clubs for free/quite cheap. (feel free to correct me if I got any of those wrong or missed some lol).

We’ve got £400k available apparently, so why not use it if we think he’s worth it? It’s not just the now, but the value he could eventually be worth if he delivers. Personally I don’t know much about him, but I’d like to see us prove the 400k exists, take the chance and prove we are serious about a promotion push and building a quality squad. We may have other irons in the fire but we need a couple of strikes minimum, so if we really have the money we shouldn’t be losing out to Charlton on a financial basis anyway
Totally agree soon will find out if this 400k exists or not

Agree.
I am.not sure if Arthur Turner is advocating us simply closing down the Academy?
It takes time. We seem to have had 3 to 4 young players go to PL clubs and of course Goodrham, Baptiste, O' Donkor have been mire regular first team players ( if we sold Goodrham how much wouod he be worth ?)
If you see the success of Reading in bringing very good Championship players through the academy, this is something I assume we will be aiming for in time.

And it isn't just for the profit we will hopefully make ( and getting 4 to 5 players in the first team at a time). Isn't it great seeing local players in.the first team?
Presumably it generates lots of additional interest in the community, which in turn means more people becoming Oxford United supporters.
No, I’m not advocating the club simply close down the academy but as with every expenditure in the fantastically expensive business of running a successful professional football club I would like to see a proper cost analysis to see if it’s worthwhile. Yes, of course we’d like to have one but not if it doesn’t achieve its purpose and doesn’t become a money pit. I’m not yet convinced one way or the other. But I hope the club is across the financing of it which proves that overall it is of real benefit to the club. Is that analysis available? You would hope so. Are they going make it available to the fan base? Probably not.

I advise everyone to listen to Des Buckingham on the Dub again in which he explains why Dominos Fall at the end of the window and not the beginning.

Cheltenham may think this is Charltons final offer , or ours , but they won’t know for sure and it’s the final hours of the window which decides -and flushes out any other potential bidder who might want to gazump the deal -especially if they themselves are now flush with cash after selling their own prize assets - or receiving a sell on fee for someone else entirely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom