Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've got a lot of boxes ticked off and it's a world of difference from what we've been used to over the last few years. We've been crying out for a midfielder to do the dirty bits for a couple of years since Gorrin got injured and we have another option up front with Goodwin who gives us something different.

It was promising when 5 days into his reign and outside the transfer window we signed Joe Bennet rather than just shoving Brown out there until Leigh got back. It's how a normal club should operate but we'd become so conditioned to the whims of an idiot that it was a surprise to see us trying to fix areas that could cause us problems. We're better set than we were prior to the window but I wouldn't have minded another striker and the fact that a few of them aren't available to play immediately which isn't ideal. In isolation they were all worthwhile but we really could have done with some help over the last few weeks.

If nothing else it gives me confidence that we're going to build a proper, balanced squad in the summer when we get rid of some of the big wages that we're paying currently.
Agree with this, and my 6/10 reflected the slight but not insignificant problem that we are still signing players not immediately available.
We certainly needed that strength in midfield and it should benefit Ruben and Marcus particularly. The wide men still look one injury away from a problem (Murphy and Browne really aren’t in the mix if we’re honest) although the guy from Blackpool looks promising.
Above all else, I think we’re a striker short; Harris cannot go on running his b&lls off every week, I’m not convinced about how robust (injury wise) Goodman is, and GoD is really way off a league one centre forward.
Happy overall, though. For a mid-season window that’s pretty good.

• React
Reactions: m
Great window, for a January Ed has done extremely well.

If we are still after a striker, they've got to have been a free agent when the window closed. A little bit of pedigree is out there: Connor Wickham, Lys Mousset, Gary Madine, Troy Deeney, Josh Eppiah, Bobby Duncan, Caleb Chukwuemeka to name a few.
Troy Deeney? Pretty sure I have more pace then he does

Harry Leonard might still be coming as well if the paperwork was put through in time with caveat that Blackburn's new signing from MLS gets a visa & work permit. Should know by Monday.
Is there any more on this? Surprised they'd be allowed to hold off on a transfer once the deadline has passed. Happy to be proved wrong however.

7/10 window for me.

Huge positive that we've added Dale on a permanent for a nominal fee, and I'm optimistic that Goodwin will be a decent addition. Would have liked to see another striker come in, but also quite glad we didn't go for Marriot in the end.

Matete on loan is a great move, proven player at this level, will add some fresh energy and competition to our midfield.

Disappointed to lose Beadle, and I'm still undecided on Cumming so far. That being said, I do think Cumming is a good keeper, and hopefully we stand a chance of signing him for next season if this loan goes well. There was no chance Beadle would be coming back to us again next season.

Tyler Burey - I'm not sure about him yet. Looked good against Pompey, I just have my concerns that he might be another inconsistent winger who delivers very little end product (aka just another Josh Murphy!)

Hopefully Des now has the squad that he wants to get us through the season, and keep us in the mix for the play-offs. COYY!

Agree with this, and my 6/10 reflected the slight but not insignificant problem that we are still signing players not immediately available.
We certainly needed that strength in midfield and it should benefit Ruben and Marcus particularly. The wide men still look one injury away from a problem (Murphy and Browne really aren’t in the mix if we’re honest) although the guy from Blackpool looks promising.
Above all else, I think we’re a striker short; Harris cannot go on running his b&lls off every week, I’m not convinced about how robust (injury wise) Goodman is, and GoD is really way off a league one centre forward.
Happy overall, though. For a mid-season window that’s pretty good.
I dare say everybody will pinpoint the striker issue much as you have. We’re definitely one light, even two if you really wanted to have ‘all bases covered’. Perhaps they’re looking to the summer for that when about £30k a week in wages appears overnight. That’s the kind of financial freedom that will allow us to take a good swing at a real goal machine in the summer.

But as it came down to deadline day, if it became a shootout between a DM and a striker, we made the right choice. I think that could be the most transformative player signing we’ve made since KR was sent packing for what it will do to the performances of others. He can also walk in there with a swagger and a confidence that 2 promotions gives you which might water down any ego in there that thinks they’re the mustard.

There’s been a calling for Matete, (and yes, specifically Matete!) for many windows. Every player in the squad bar the one who drops out will benefit from him being on the field where as a shiny new striker probably doesn’t offer that impact, not in the same way.

I too gave it a 7/10, but I was sitting around a 4 or 5 before deadline day.

In terms of the Free agents, I think only Gayle and maybe Bobby Duncan suit what we’d be after and have the potential to add efficient quality (Duncan being a bigger risk)

This could be our team moving forward:

IMG_1564.jpeg
SUBS: (Any 7 from) Rodrigues, Burey, Bodin, Murphy, Goodrham, Henry, Smyth, McEachran, Thorniley, Negru, Bennett, Stevens, O'Donkor, Eastwood

Good squad now and lots of rotation options once everyone's fit, with Browne and Edwards hopefully able to play a part towards the end of the season.

Gonna be interesting to how and where the new signings fit in.

Looking forward to tomorrow...

This could be our team moving forward:

View attachment 17708
SUBS: (Any 7 from) Rodrigues, Burey, Bodin, Murphy, Goodrham, Henry, Smyth, McEachran, Thorniley, Negru, Bennett, Stevens, O'Donkor, Eastwood

Good squad now and lots of rotation options once everyone's fit, with Browne and Edwards hopefully able to play a part towards the end of the season.

Gonna be interesting to how and where the new signings fit in.

Looking forward to tomorrow...
A great starting 11 but would like to see Rodrigues start. Not sure where he would fit. Instead of MgGuane and playing further forward?

A great starting 11 but would like to see Rodrigues start. Not sure where he would fit. Instead of MgGuane and playing further forward?
Rodrigues plays for me. One of few who I think survives most rotations. Lack of form recently but he is the one player we have (perhaps Edwards too when fit) who can pick something out from nothing and would be a big risk to leave out. He’s also essential to us in the press. I think he plays for any side in this league and a good percentage in the league above so it’s down to Des, as the coach, to find a role for him in his system that gets the best out of him. He’s been figured out of late and Rodrigues, arguably our greatest weapon, has been nerfed.

I’m not ruling out Rodrigues leading the line for us. Perhaps that was part of our thinking in prioritising a DM in the end. A 451 with Rodrigues dropping in (a bit like Harry Kane likes to do) and a combination of Dale/Burey/Murphy/Goodrham/Harris running past him has potential. Brannagan making the late runs forward with a safety net of Matete and McGuane behind him. You can certainly see something in that and it is one of Des’ preferred systems.

One things for sure, we have a whole host of options now that we’ve been denied for much too long. Over to you, Des.

I know both of Des' preferred formations only have one center forward, but might we possible see a front 2 of Harris and Goodwin when chasing a late winner/equaliser? Possibly in a 3-4-1-2 with attacking wingers and Rodriguez/CamBran in the hole behind the front 2?

Back
Top Bottom