Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More players will also mean that we can rest players. MM clearly needs a rest, CB appears to me some kind of machine, but might benefit from an occasional break.
Not a bad thing for either of them to feel under threat. Brannagan has started to slip in to that place he goes to where he feels he IS the team rather than part of it - just nailing it at the keeper in frustration when patience and an extra pass is the better option. I felt Manning did a really good job of getting him in check - bitching at referees in the opening minutes and throwing his hands against his hips was gone and now very much back and noticeable and it spreads a ‘woe is me attitude’ that throws us back to a dark time under Robinson where this kind of body language was rife. He needs to lead better than that and I hope Matete will bring with him a bit of calm, class and composure that’ll rub off on him.

McGuane is simply burnt out and been the resident defensive midfielder for much too long. Playing them together is an exciting proposition but the option to use McGuane more sparingly is going to be a real luxury. Might even feel like a new signing in itself if we can restore him to his levels of the first 10-15 games.

All part of why I felt Matete is a bigger signing than almost any other we could’ve made in the window.

I wonder if we’ve got any chance of signing Matete on a permanent at the end of the season???

My vote was a 9 - Think we’ve done some good business, still think GOD should be out on loan for his benefit and ours.

A great window and let's hope for a decent 2nd half of the season and then the planning in for the stadium .We've now had 2 decent windows and filled some important spots .Then the summer could be an even more exciting and important window.

I started at a 5 but rose to a 7. Still an element of doubt, but we will all know when we have seen them on the grass.

Cumming

Stevens..........Moore.........Brown..........Leigh

Matete

Rodrigues.......................Branagan

Dale.................Goodwin...................Harris
Subs: Goodrham, Burey, Mcguane, Long, Henry, Negru, Eastwood

Maybe switch Negru with Bodin when he's fit to give us added options to the forward line.

Rotate the front three with Goodrham and Burey. - Hopefully at least one of Browne, Edwards and Murphy could add some additional pace as the season closes.
Rotate the Midfield three with Mcguane, Henry and Bodin.

Unfortunately, if Matete stays fit, I don't see a place in the match day squad for McEachran.

O'Donker out on loan with some of the other young players.

It’s ended up being a solid January. Albeit we haven’t actually grown the squad a great deal, despite the ongoing injuries to Murphy, Browne, Edwards & Bodin etc.

i think the Matete signing is an excellent one, subject to the player being the same as he was for Plymouth last year and not still hampered or recovering from his significant knee injury. I guess time will tell with that. Brannagan and McGuane certainly needed competition and Matete will provide it.

I’d still be surprised if a striker doesn’t come through the door, either a free agent or a loan that hasn’t been confirmed, yet. Buckingham has been consistent throughout that he wanted a forward and I’m pretty confident we will see someone come in.

No other team in the race for promotion would be happy to go into the last 17 games with O’Donkor as the third striker and we should be no different.

7/10 window as it stands.

So Matete isn’t 100% fit, clearly.

No way he comes on in the 89th minute if he’s fit.

Despite getting absolutely ridiculed the other day, I stand by the fact we needed a striker and we should’ve secured one as a priority. If the money was there then it should’ve been spent. Sure we got Goodwin who’s injured currently but he was needed as a second striker. O’Donkor could have been loaned out to non-league and we should’ve then signed someone proven or who could’ve made an impact. Also an attacking central midfielder in place of Marcus Browne was also a necessity - we are flat and pedestrian in the middle.

I am delighted with Matete but there were priority positions elsewhere that should’ve been filled.

Despite getting absolutely ridiculed the other day, I stand by the fact we needed a striker and we should’ve secured one as a priority. If the money was there then it should’ve been spent. Sure we got Goodwin who’s injured currently but he was needed as a second striker. O’Donkor could have been loaned out to non-league and we should’ve then signed someone proven or who could’ve made an impact. Also an attacking central midfielder in place of Marcus Browne was also a necessity - we are flat and pedestrian in the middle.

I am delighted with Matete but there were priority positions elsewhere that should’ve been filled.
When we're you "absolutely ridiculed"? Nearly everyone wanted another striker in didn't they?

When we're you "absolutely ridiculed"? Nearly everyone wanted another striker in didn't they?
Check the post history to see what I had to endure on Thursday - all I heard back was ‘’we’ve got Bodin and Goodwin will be back for Blackpool’’ blah blah.

Check the post history to see what I had to endure on Thursday - all I heard back was ‘’we’ve got Bodin and Goodwin will be back for Blackpool’’ blah blah.
I read every post pretty much, don't remember any pile ons, especially on someone wanting a striker.

The lack of another striker was the main blind spot of the window. It possibly feels worse because we have yet to see Goodwin but most of us knew we needed another option in that would allow G’OD to go out on loan.

Two things. First, we actually did bring in another striker. Second, what difference would having brought in one more striker have made to today's result? I don't recall any obvious missed chances from either Harris or GOD. Maybe we need another Rodrigues instead of another striker.

Two things. First, we actually did bring in another striker. Second, what difference would having brought in one more striker have made to today's result? I don't recall any obvious missed chances from either Harris or GOD. Maybe we need another Rodrigues instead of another striker.
Well the irony of today is a DM was exactly what was called for, much more than a striker, but we deployed him 10 minutes after conceding rather than at 1-0. It was a disastrous afternoon for Des tbh.

But a more competent striker would’ve made some different. 4 touches in 15 minutes suggests he wasn’t near enough to the action. There’s an art to that role, he needs to know where the ball is going to be in transition and he doesn’t. But then he isn’t that player. I don’t know who’s responsible for this weird cocktail of what was a dynamic poacher playing on the last man to now playing inside the body of Romelu Lukaku with his back permanently to goal…

Back
Top Bottom