Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

#goingforit

I'm strangely calm about it. Fail to win tomorrow and I suspect my fellow travelers on a train from Marylebone to Parkway will believe that the chief dementor from Harry Potter has joined them to suck the last wisp of positivity from their existence.

I understand your laying the foundations for no one coming in, but we have an opportunity we haven't had in countless years, which may not come along again in a generation. We are in a fantastic situation, securely in the play offs, and 3 players away from capitalising on what has been a wonderful start to the season.

Also, an opportunity that hasn't come along in countless years?

The odds of us getting promoted from League One this season right now - even if we bring in the signings that we want on Monday - are not as good as they were two years ago at Wembley, when James Henry had the ball at his feet and the goal at his mercy in the 70th (or so) minute of a 1-1 game against a pretty mediocre Wycombe team.

There's no dominant team in League One this year - like Hull last year - but there's a lot more good teams with big ambition this seasons. And whilst yes, we're in a playoff spot - we're also a long way off the autos (seven points behind an incredibly solid Rotherham team who've played a game less; eight points behind a free-spending Wigan team who've played three games less).

If we don't screw Monday up, and we can find at least 2-3 of the players we need without breaking our model, then we should be good enough to reach the playoffs this year. And then it's a dogfight.

But I really don't get this notion - looking at the League One table as it stands, and having watched almost every game we've played this season (albeit on iFollow) - that 2021/22 is our one great opportunity to get into the Championship, and therefore we should shove all our chips into the middle and pay mad fees for the current flavour of the month.

Also, an opportunity that hasn't come along in countless years?

The odds of us getting promoted from League One this season right now - even if we bring in the signings that we want on Monday - are not as good as they were two years ago at Wembley, when James Henry had the ball at his feet and the goal at his mercy in the 70th (or so) minute of a 1-1 game against a pretty mediocre Wycombe team.

There's no dominant team in League One this year - like Hull last year - but there's a lot more good teams with big ambition this seasons. And whilst yes, we're in a playoff spot - we're also a long way off the autos (seven points behind an incredibly solid Rotherham team who've played a game less; eight points behind a free-spending Wigan team who've played three games less).

If we don't screw Monday up, and we can find at least 2-3 of the players we need without breaking our model, then we should be good enough to reach the playoffs this year. And then it's a dogfight.

But I really don't get this notion - looking at the League One table as it stands, and having watched almost every game we've played this season (albeit on iFollow) - that 2021/22 is our one great opportunity to get into the Championship, and therefore we should shove all our chips into the middle and pay mad fees for the current flavour of the month.
That bloody play off final , talk about a game and opportunity to rue over !

Sorry, taken a while to reply, so the conversation may have moved on without me.....

.....but my arguments yesterday were not against the notion of bringing players in in January. Of course, we desperately need reinforcements. Ideally four players - CB, FB, DM & ST.

My argument is that I want to continue to find those players the same way we have in the past five-to-ten years.
Loans from higher division clubs; decent players that currently can't get a game in the Championship (e.g Matty T, Herbie K); and the occasional outlay of not more than a few hundred thousand for talented, young players that can add to the squad now and have the potential to grow into really valuable assets.

My argument is against the notion that we should suddenly abandon the model that has worked for us, and start splurging on players with a solely "win now" focus.
If we went ahead - as some people on here have advocated - and bought, for example, Cole Stockton, Nicky Cadden & Matty Stevens (or three players like them, whose value is going to be peaking right now) - that could easily cost us two million quid.

And it wouldn't guarantee us promotion either. It would just improve our odds.

Anyone know where can I buy a good sturdy pitchfork and a flaming torch?

Which will happen first:

A. Sue Gray’s report released to the public
B. BoJo resigns
C. New signing for us

Answers on a postcard please….
D.Andrew becomes king.

Didn't we announce Gavin Whyte on a Saturday last window?

No reason not to keep pounding refresh all morning tomorrow!

Extremely in keeping with the modern football only to make money mantra and not being a positive part of the community and local kids a chance . If not football then the experience stands in good stead for the outside world rather than get into bad habits .
It was more down to the EPPP f*****g them over than it was a money-grabbing decision. If the FA aren't willing to provide financial incentives for smaller clubs to develop young players, then why should they be haemorrhaging money for the sake of it? Also, they're based in the middle of London, it's not like local kids have a dearth of chances with academies elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see if Sykes plays tomorrow or suddenly develops a tight hamstring (or whatever)
If not , thats him gone then !!!!

It was more down to the EPPP f*****g them over than it was a money-grabbing decision. If the FA aren't willing to provide financial incentives for smaller clubs to develop young players, then why should they be haemorrhaging money for the sake of it? Also, they're based in the middle of London, it's not like local kids have a dearth of chances with academies elsewhere.
Hmm the amount of good they could have done to loads of young lives far outweighs the fact they might not make as much as they would like .

Back
Top Bottom