Ex Player Herbie Kane

Best midfielder we've had here since Magilton imo (* for anyone under the age of 40, he was classy but a bit slow). Cannot believe Barnsley let him come to us. Way above L1 standard. Keep Brannigan, add a couple and we will be going up!

I don't understand "buying out the recall option".
Why not just let him stay here? Or would whatever salary arrangement between the two clubs from the existing agreement continue to apply ?
If he was recalled, why couldn't he come back to us for the second half of the season anyway?
Or is it a way of renegotiating the salary sharing arrangement?

Why not just let him stay here? Or would whatever salary arrangement between the two clubs from the existing agreement continue to apply ?
If he was recalled, why couldn't he come back to us for the second half of the season anyway?

It’s a guarantee. Barnsley may have been bluffing, but frankly I don’t think many fans will care. The main thing is that he’ll be in a yellow (black or white) shirt until May.

I guess that from Oxfords perspective it gives certainty and stops us being gazumped by a Sunderland/ Ipswich who could have offered more money for him ( larger salary share or loan fee)

There is often a loan fee that is in addition to wage agreements between both clubs. Potentially Barnsley could have recalled Herbie then collected a second fee by loaning him out to another club. Oxford have secured Herbie until the rest of the season by agreeing a nominal fee to cover this potential loss.

It will be a relatively small amount, and considerably smaller than it would have cost us to bring in a like for like replacement or to bring Kane in on a permanent deal. So we win, plus Barnsley get to recoup a little of the £1.25m they spent.

Everyone's a winner.

The Barnsley fans' view (well their forums):

Sounds like things aren't great there off the pitch, never mind on it.

Last edited:
Will he be able to make the step up to the Championship though?
I’ve got to say, I’m a massive Herbie Kane fan, and I think he’s clearly brilliant at League One level - but, like Whyte and Taylor, I can see why he might not have quite made it in the Championship. I think he lacks a little bit of pace, strength and physicality for a tough league like that. Hope I’m wrong!

Back
Top Bottom