Ex Player Herbie Kane

He played 24 games in the Championship aged 22 and the team nearly made the play offs!
He will improve at his age and in the right team , is definitely good enough in my view.

This is fantastic news , what a player ! He makes the whole team tick.
Unbelievable that its being questioned can he do it in the Championship....where does that even come from ?
Let's find out next season !

He played 24 games in the Championship aged 22 and the team nearly made the play offs!
He will improve at his age and in the right team , is definitely good enough in my view.
Barnsley did make the playoffs.

Look at our league form with Kane in the side since he's hit match fitness. Since he first completed 90 mins (Gills at home), we've lost one game in 13 in which he has started (and even that one - Plymouth at home - we should really have at least drawn), winning 9. By no means an easy run, either: Hillsborough, Portman Road, SoL and MK, as well as Rotherham at home in there. Our only league loss in two and a half months came with him out of the side with COVID last week. The guy is insane and crucial to how we play.

I think our midfield last night (HK, CB, MS) brings out the best in him. As has been mentioned, he isn't the most mobile or physical. but Sykes and Brannagan are so busy and energetic that he doesn't need to be - they can press high, he can pick up the pieces and recycle the ball, as we saw many times yesterday. Sykes over Henry in that starting midfield role for me now, he gives us more balance. His energy matches Brannagan's and they complement each other well. He's also developed that knack for scoring goals this season which is so handy in a #8.

There's no deal in place for a summer signing, but I believe a figure of around £600k has been suggested. Get promoted and I'm sure it'll be a done deal, especially with Barnsley likely going in the opposite direction.

I’ve got to say, I’m a massive Herbie Kane fan, and I think he’s clearly brilliant at League One level - but, like Whyte and Taylor, I can see why he might not have quite made it in the Championship. I think he lacks a little bit of pace, strength and physicality for a tough league like that. Hope I’m wrong!
Kane and Whyte still only 23 and 25 so easily could be good enough one day

This is fantastic news , what a player ! He makes the whole team tick.
Unbelievable that its being questioned can he do it in the Championship....where does that even come from ?
Let's find out next season !
Probably from the fact that a current Championship side are happy to let him go on loan?

Yeh. But let go by a vv poor Championship team that will go down. I think he's terrific. Way above L1 standard.
Just for clarity, always much difficult for a player to look really good in a team that is rubbish. Which sounds like the case at Barnsley.

For further clarity, Barnsley weren't rubbish when Herbie was playing for them. They finished 5th in the Championship.
Though he did only make six starts for them last season.

It's still an odd decision on Barnsley's part, to spend so much money on a player and then not give him a real chance, even though they're rubbish.

But I guess the Championship does seem to knock the sense out of clubs.......

Though he did only make six starts for them last season.

It's still an odd decision on Barnsley's part, to spend so much money on a player and then not give him a real chance, even though they're rubbish.

But I guess the Championship does seem to knock the sense out of clubs.......
They’re not rubbish, they’d probably wipe the floor with us. But agree it’s odd.

Well goodbye Herbie, you gave the ball away so much I hold you responsible for the loss today and Morecombe and there was another game I can’t recall that you did the same. Those 9 points cost us promotion. Thanks but hope you stay at Barnsley

Well goodbye Herbie, you gave the ball away so much I hold you responsible for the loss today and Morecombe and there was another game I can’t recall that you did the same. Those 9 points cost us promotion. Thanks but hope you stay at Barnsley
I wasn't there but seems a bit harsh to essentially blame us falling short at on him. He is a player that try's to make things happen, they give the ball away. I used to call Gerrard the MoTD player because all his highlights were everything that came off but if you watch any game of his, he gave the ball away a lot.

Ah here we go. Herbie Kane. A number 8. About to be scapegoated for being played as a holding midfielder..

Yes one of the most creative players we have had, played as a deep lying holding defensive midfielder because recruitment was wrong last Summer and in January.

Would love him to stay and be played in the right hole.

Yep. A complete waste of Kane’s loan spell with us. That’s on KR. Such a shame we didn’t see the best of him. Feel sorry for the man

Kane is certainly not a defensive midfielder and certainly looked poor trying to be so. I think the question does have to be asked about his inability to tackle, pass the ball consistently well or retain the ball, while attempting silly little flicks and holding on to it for too long - not all of which are because of the position he was playing.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if we don't see him next season, I feel he has many of the same problems and qualities that McGuane has (although not exactly the same type of player of course) - and don't think we need two of them.

However - both of them would look much better with a proper defence behind them.

Back
Top Bottom