• MCFC

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • MUFC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tbf, that legal system is currently involved in arresting people because they might do something like want to put up some placards tie themselves to something or give out rape alarms to stop sexual assaults to scare horses trained for load noises.

Printed words do not hurt people.

They do not disrupt people. They do not block roads. They do not disrupt significant national events.

The two comparisons, whilst linked by legislative points, are not the same.

Tbf, that legal system is currently involved in arresting people because they might do something like want to put up some placards tie themselves to something or give out rape alarms to stop sexual assaults to scare horses trained for load noises.

The police did all of that, under political pressure. The judiciary/jury are the ones who ultimately decide on whether someone has committed a crime, which is why, as far as I know, no one was convicted regarding the placards and rape alarms.

We're going off track a little, but this is not about merely offending someone. This is about using words that are threatening and/or abusive AND that these words are likely to cause harm to the average person. I don't believe that we should arrest anyone and everyone that says something others don't like, but I do think that this case went beyond normal social boundaries and therefore meets the threshold needed to be put before the courts.

They do not disrupt people. They do not block roads. They do not disrupt significant national events.

Maybe screenshot this for yourself for the hundreds of occasions where you get triggered by something someone (often from minority groups) says or does. You couldn't cope with 11 footballers taking a knee before a ball was kicked this time last year!

The police did all of that, under political pressure. The judiciary/jury are the ones who ultimately decide on whether someone has committed a crime, which is why, as far as I know, no one was convicted regarding the placards and rape alarms.

We're going off track a little, but this is not about merely offending someone. This is about using words that are threatening and/or abusive AND that these words are likely to cause harm to the average person. I don't believe that we should arrest anyone and everyone that says something others don't like, but I do think that this case went beyond normal social boundaries and therefore meets the threshold needed to be put before the courts.
I can see that the words "97 not enough" are abusive given the context, but it is disappointing that they could be considered "likely to cause harm to the average person".

I don't think that the words on the shirt are likely to cause harm to the average person. Although I agree the case went beyond normal social boundaries, I still don't think that's enough to justify a criminal charge.

I can see that the words "97 not enough" are abusive given the context, but it is disappointing that they could be considered "likely to cause harm to the average person".

I don't think that the words on the shirt are likely to cause harm to the average person. Although I agree the case went beyond normal social boundaries, I still don't think that's enough to justify a criminal charge.

I agree that it's far from cut and dry, and I suspect that the decision to arrest was based on the large amount of comments on twitter (which is not the best way to make this kind of judgement). I suspect that it will not result in a conviction, but that doesn't in itself mean that the arrest wasn't warranted.

Placards don't have printed words now?

They are very much linked and the same, they are both about free speech which is what the conversation is about.

What te f**k has OXFORD got to do with MANCHESTER????
YES NOTHING !!!!!

If it was displayed on a flag it would have been banned from the stadium and the person responsible arrested for the same offence.

If it was displayed on a flag it would have been banned from the stadium and the person responsible arrested for the same offence.

That is not a moral justification just a further egregious use of law enforcement and incarceration

If a comedian puts a joke on a flag that’s edgy they should be sent to jail too?

They absolutely can. They’ve gotten people killed in the past.

I believe we have a clear law for that. Murder.

There shouldn’t be laws where you don’t know whether you’re committing a crime or not and have to rely on the subjective mood and judgment of those around you

There shouldn’t be laws where you don’t know whether you’re committing a crime or not and have to rely on the subjective mood and judgment of those around you
I agree. I just disagree with the idea that words mean nothing and can’t hurt people.

In general. Not in relation to a stupid idiot in a football shirt.

Really, how thick and nasty would you have to be to do that and not have a fair idea you’d be causing gross offence? I’m not saying he should be jailed but I’d make him sweat for a bit longer.

Of course words hurt people. Both of you @RyanioBirdio and @werthersoriginal made me sad by disagreeing. And of course he’s causing offense to many.

But many things you both say and do cause same to many folk across the world . It’s not your fault though ….you never had the love of Matt Taylor or George Baldock to bring a love is love vibe into your world

What te f**k has OXFORD got to do with MANCHESTER????
YES NOTHING !!!!!

Maybe screenshot this for yourself for the hundreds of occasions where you get triggered by something someone (often from minority groups) says or does. You couldn't cope with 11 footballers taking a knee before a ball was kicked this time last year!

I don`t get "triggered". I express my opinion which differs from others, its how a discussion platform works.

However I will 100% defend the right of anyone to express their opinion in words and happily debate with them.

I might even read and think maybe they have a point, and my view may change/soften, that is called being an adult.

Equally, sometimes, the majority view must take favour because that is how life works.

So did "taking a knee" make any viable difference or did it just fade away to nothing?

Back
Top Bottom