Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You disagree with his arrest?

Yep.
I`m not offended although some will be.
However if said image isn`t shared on social media he just remains a "nobody".
Doesn`t stop me thinking he`s a Grade A weapon.
Flip side do you see fans of Liverpool being arrested for Munich references?
Anyone arrested for this?
Screenshot-2023-03-05-at-16.03.40.jpg

Yep.
I`m not offended although some will be.
However if said image isn`t shared on social media he just remains a "nobody".
Doesn`t stop me thinking he`s a Grade A weapon.
Flip side do you see fans of Liverpool being arrested for Munich references?
Anyone arrested for this?
Screenshot-2023-03-05-at-16.03.40.jpg
They should both be arrested. If he’d just ‘thought’ it he wouldn’t have been done for what you call a ‘thought crime’.

See also:
New fans of Liverpool 1980-89
New fans of Chelsea 2003-2007
New fans of Arsenal 1997-2002

We can all spot a glory supporter and I genuinely find them some of the most boring, close-minded football fans out there. They’re the sort who sneer at anything below 10th place in the PL and are also the kind who engage in the endlessly tedious Messi v Ronaldo debate. They don’t attend matches and dismiss the League Cup despite it being the best possible route to actually attend a game at their chosen team’s ground.

I’d sooner chat to a Swindon fan about football than them. At least with them you’d get a real perspective of football rather than one warped just through Sky Sports coverage, FIFA games and social media.

I think much of that stretches beyond glory supporters and permeates wider modern football 'culture' in general - all the 'tekkers' and 'banter years' nonsense. I blame Sky - and specifically the odious Tim Lovejoy (a football supporters programme for non- football supporters).

As an aside, my housemates at Uni (early 00's) were big football fans - loved playing it, loved watching it (on Sky), playing 'fifa' or Champ Manager. They were football fans (and 3 of 4 followed a specific club - only 1 if which was a glory club), but not in the same way that  I was. Their interest was what you would call mainstream in terms of being top flight/internationals - but pretty in depth.

They could tell you who the back up Left Back at Werder Bremen was, but wouldn't have known which club played their home games at Roots Hall.

They could understand a football tour with their Saturday playing team, but wouldn't appreciate getting an 8am train to a nondescript Northern town with a bag of cans to (ostensibly) watch a game of lower league football.

I made the distinction then - and it still rings true now - that they are fans of football (the sport, the bants, the tekkers, Messi v Ronaldo) whereas we are football supporters (the intensity of a Saturday afternoon, the beers on the train, the songs) - it's a cultural distinction.

It's also about abhorrent regimes owning football clubs and ploughing money into them. You surely don't think that's the solution to money in football? I don't like the old money either but this is a step worse.
Financial Fair Play rules don’t stop Saudi Arabia or even North Korea buying football clubs though?

You're not offended that someone openly mocked the death of 97 innocent football fans who died whilst supporting their team?

Or the alternative view that it referred to 97 points not being enough...

Like I said...... who knows his thought process..... not you or I.

Umm... I think we know exactly what his thought process was (unless you really are blinkered and dumb!)

He's also an activist for Britain First, so probably a mate of yours!!

Given Man City won the title over Liverpool that season I would very much doubt that the shirt is referencing that. Not much to celebrate in that scenario from a Man United standpoint.

If we live in a country where you can now be arrested if people think there’s a chance you might possibly maybe consider sort of protesting about something kinda, this is probably fair game as well.

Umm... I think we know exactly what his thought process was (unless you really are blinkered and dumb!)

He's also an activist for Britain First, so probably a mate of yours!!

Just say you don`t know either.

More generalisations from you, must be the company you keep.

Lol. That's up there with the Oxford lad who marched across the pitch post-Orient '06 giving it the big 'un and who later claimed he was saying hi to his pal in the away end 🤣

Given Man City won the title over Liverpool that season I would very much doubt that the shirt is referencing that. Not much to celebrate in that scenario from a Man United standpoint.

If we live in a country where you can now be arrested if people think there’s a chance you might possibly maybe consider sort of protesting about something kinda, this is probably fair game as well.

Would he have been arrested if it was raining and he had a coat on so nobody saw it? Still been made, still existed....... 🤷‍♂️

If social media didn`t exist would anyone likely to be offended have even seen it? 🤷‍♂️

Worlds gone to pot.

Would he have been arrested if it was raining and he had a coat on so nobody saw it? Still been made, still existed.......
Considering the “crime” is displaying the shirt publicly and provocatively, probably not. In the same way that you wouldn’t be arrested for thinking something as opposed to shouting it. Saying it would be the offence just as showing it is the offence in this instance. You’re basically asking if he would’ve been arrested if he hadn’t done it, and the answer is obviously ‘no’. But he did.

I’m not exactly whooping and hollering with glee over this as I think it’s really silly and just shouldn’t have happened, and is a shocking waste of time and resources, but I find it difficult to sympathise with him.

Would he have been arrested if it was raining and he had a coat on so nobody saw it? Still been made, still existed....... 🤷‍♂️

If social media didn`t exist would anyone likely to be offended have even seen it? 🤷‍♂️

Worlds gone to pot.

Its very simple.

He was arrested for a public order offence for DISPLAYING threatening or abusive writing likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

If it wasn't DISPLAYING then there is no offence.

It has nothing to do with Thought Police, he and anyone can think what they like. But verbalise, or present those thoughts in writing, in public, and you are liable for arrest.

Back
Top Bottom