Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Hugh Curran will be 80 on 25 September.
He was no doubt playing before a lot of people on here saw oufc, but he was a teriffic player for us particularly in his first spell. A striker who played 5 games for Scotland scoring 1 ( I think it was v England at Wembley)
Is he ever seen as a guest at the Kassam?
Happy birthday Hughie.
I know he was attending matches a few seasons ago with his Grandson, not sure about now.
I was with my sons walking to the ground just passed the club shop and had a quick chat with him.
We were struggling at the time to score goals which I mentioned, Hughie quipped "don't worry son I've got my boots"
Great player, great character!!

Not an ex-player but an Oxford United connection.
Stuart Beavon playing for Mickleover FC.

I think he is one of those players who seemed destined to play for us, but never did.

I think he is one of those players who seemed destined to play for us, but never did.
his dad or grandad ? (Cyril) did play for us , same team as Big Ron

My local team - been with them for about 4 years now. Looks an excellent player for the level at 39

Former loanee Leon Mike (3 appearances in 00/01) is in joint caretaker charge of Bury

Danny Rose appointed the new assistant at Darlington

Is it unfair that I always think of Danny Rose as just about the most average player we've ever had? Certainly that's played 100 games for us.

I feel like he was never great, never terrible. You never got excited or angry when you saw his name on the team sheet. He was just there, doing his moderately capable thing.

(Other candidates for the title I can think of would be Dave Smith and James Hunt. You probably have to be a central midfielder to be that average as keepers, defenders, wingers and strikers have too much opportunity for brilliance or incompetence........)

Is it unfair that I always think of Danny Rose as just about the most average player we've ever had? Certainly that's played 100 games for us.

I feel like he was never great, never terrible. You never got excited or angry when you saw his name on the team sheet. He was just there, doing his moderately capable thing.

(Other candidates for the title I can think of would be Dave Smith and James Hunt. You probably have to be a central midfielder to be that average as keepers, defenders, wingers and strikers have too much opportunity for brilliance or incompetence........)
Seem to remember in the early stage of the 2014/15 season he was one of the (very few) standout players alongside Hylton. Second half of that season he continued his good form with the introduction of Roofe, Baldock etc but once Lundstram and Sercombe came in there was little to no chance of him keeping his spot. Good player, good bloke and an honest pro who had a decent career in the leagues.

I see your Danny Rose and I raise you Simon Clist.

Simon Clist was a really good Conference player. Never quick enough to play much above that level but very neat and tidy. Danny Rose was similar, but again had his level, which was L1 at a stretch. Both quite similar players to Lewis Bate imo. Never got the fuss about Bate. If he has a long career above L1, I'd be quite surprised.

I liked Simon Clist, he wasn't average but just quietly kept the team ticking over with the occasional moment of magic.

Also, unfair to say Smudger was average. Alongside Martin Gray, their steadiness allowed the likes of Joey and Stuart Massey to play. They weren't particularly creative but they won the ball to enable the creative players to do their thing.

I liked Simon Clist, he wasn't average but just quietly kept the team ticking over with the occasional moment of magic.

Also, unfair to say Smudger was average. Alongside Martin Gray, their steadiness allowed the likes of Joey and Stuart Massey to play. They weren't particularly creative but they won the ball to enable the creative players to do their thing.
Martin Gray used to get dog’s abuse where I used to stand at the Manor (not from me, I’d like to point out!)

I seem to recall him also being the unlikely scorer once when we scored after going a long number of games without hitting the back of the net.

Martin Gray used to get dog’s abuse where I used to stand at the Manor (not from me, I’d like to point out!)

I seem to recall him also being the unlikely scorer once when we scored after going a long number of games without hitting the back of the net.

Definitely at the start. He was a stopper, get the ball back with a crunching challenge or interception and give it simply to somebody who could pass further than 10 feet.

Once that it got appreciated what he was I think attitudes towards him changed and he became a bit of a cult hero.

Definitely at the start. He was a stopper, get the ball back with a crunching challenge or interception and give it simply to somebody who could pass further than 10 feet.

Once that it got appreciated what he was I think attitudes towards him changed and he became a bit of a cult hero.
All true.

I was in the Beech Road Terrace, mind. It was pretty standard to moan about everything in there!

All true.

I was in the Beech Road Terrace, mind. It was pretty standard to moan about everything in there!

I did my time as a kid on the Beech Road Terrace before the London Road so definitely understand that.

Back
Top Bottom