Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

There was this guy in the Osler Road who spent the whole game shouting at Smith. I've no idea why he took against him.

Smith played a key role. He covered the fullbacks when they overlapped the wingers and kept the ball neat and tidy.

I would cite Shotton's decision to bring in Tait and let Smith go as a particularly bad move.
David Smith was so under rated abit like Gray IMO. Back then though the attacking wingers got the plaudits and solid back line but fans just didn’t appreciate a midfielder who put the donkey work in which helped the flair players play with freedom.

Missed this at the weekend, but Jordan Rhodes got a hat-trick for Blackpool against Reading.
The author mentions he didn't score for us in the Conference Premier.
Rhodes was only here for one month, and of course scored two in the FA Cup vs Merthyr.

David Smith was so under rated abit like Gray IMO. Back then though the attacking wingers got the plaudits and solid back line but fans just didn’t appreciate a midfielder who put the donkey work in which helped the flair players play with freedom.
I remember David Smith coming back to play against us for Stockport a year or so after he left and getting a chant of 'Smithy you're a c---', which I thought was out of order. Probably wouldn't happen these days, returning players usually get a bit of a clap.

I remember David Smith coming back to play against us for Stockport a year or so after he left and getting a chant of 'Smithy you're a c---', which I thought was out of order. Probably wouldn't happen these days, returning players usually get a bit of a clap.
People were booing Wildschut the other day. Guess there are idiots in every generation!

The persistent booing of Yanic's last Saturday suggests that football fans haven't changed that much with regards to former players.

The persistent booing of Yanic's last Saturday suggests that football fans haven't changed that much with regards to former players.
Right, I missed that game but I remember Liam Secombe got a bit of applause last season. Smith was pretty much ever-present for two or three seasons though hardly an eye-catching performer.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I think people were frustrated with how the Yanic deal "worked out" and the reflection his signing had on the KR tenure. So that lead them to boo rather than Yanic himself, who got injured in pre-season and it was just so frutrating for both parties.

I think people were frustrated with how the Yanic deal "worked out" and the reflection his signing had on the KR tenure. So that lead them to boo rather than Yanic himself, who got injured in pre-season and it was just so frutrating for both parties.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people boo former players solely because they are former players, irrespective of their contribution during their time at the club.

That's a very complex boo!

Fans: "Booooooooooo!"

Yanic: "Why are you booing me?"

Fans: "We're not just booing you specifically, we're booing you as a symbolic example of our former transfer policy under the previous management team."

Yanic: "What?!"

Don't think so.

A couple lads next to me were booing him and calling him a c***.

Those same lads were upset KR had been sacked at the time, and still bring up every game "I think people forget the 4* great seasons we had with him"

* I know, where did the 4th average season come from?

Good game by Kyle Lofthouse last night for Gateshead. Thought he would do well at United, good versatile player.
one who got away- was prolific at youth level, punted out on loan, offered a renewed OUFC contract also offered a contract with the club he was punted outon loan to- better £ and pretty much guaranteed first team football, he took the latter.

Hope we are keeping close tabs on him, he's a local lad ( Abingdon area I think?), if he continues to develop the way he has so far, maybe bring him home in the future ?

Last edited:
That's a very complex boo!

Fans: "Booooooooooo!"

Yanic: "Why are you booing me?"

Fans: "We're not just booing you specifically, we're booing you as a symbolic example of our former transfer policy under the previous management team."

Yanic: "What?!"
:ROFLMAO:

• React
Reactions: MJB
Don't think so.

A couple lads next to me were booing him and calling him a c***.

Those same lads were upset KR had been sacked at the time, and still bring up every game "I think people forget the 4* great seasons we had with him"

* I know, where did the 4th average season come from?
Calling him a c***? There's no helping some people. Insane.

Missed this at the weekend, but Jordan Rhodes got a hat-trick for Blackpool against Reading.
The author mentions he didn't score for us in the Conference Premier.
Rhodes was only here for one month, and of course scored two in the FA Cup vs Merthyr.
gotta love the petty rivalry - Reading fan using an embarrassing defeat to take a dig at a local rival.
The true spirit of football there. (We'd be doing exactly the same if it were Sw*nd*n)

Back
Top Bottom