EFL - The Covid-19 decision

When they are allowed to not play away at the league leaders and are given nearly two extra points for the privelege
and 'allowed' to play (and thrash) a fellow L1 clubs youth team... twice, while many other L1 sides had to face Bolton's hastily recruited first team - how those making decisions at EFL have failed to factor in those kind of 'wrongs' is beyond me

Last edited:
The two words that are doing my head in in the response to the EFL's statement on Twitter are 'fair' and 'deserve'.

People asking how it's 'fair' that e.g. Tranmere don't get a chance to stay up (see e.g. here), as if that should play into the EFL's considerations. We're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's an unprecedented situation. Normal rules of fairness inherently go out the window. The only consideration now is pure practicality, and how the EFL can keep its clubs and structure (and players) safe. Whining about the 'unfairness' of a situation that is unfair solves absolutely nothing.

Second, 'deserve'. 'Posh have the best GD in the league, they deserve the chance to go up.' No they don't. Nobody does. You don't get what you deserve in football, you get what you earn. The Fat Ronaldo and Buffon, two of the finest players ever, never won the Champions League, but probably deserved to. The entitlement seeping through every utterance of the claim to 'deserving' promotion / survival by fans is ridiculous and does my head in. Again, it's an unprecedented situation. It calls for extraordinary measures. That will mean some teams get promoted and others get relegate or survive, but it does not mean that any of them inherently 'deserve' that outcome before the fact.

Apologies for rant. I'm pretty done with this whole thing. Very pleased we finally have an EFL statement. If it means we don't go up, I don't really care any more. As I say, it's not a situation that has ever happened before or has any right answer, so I'm not going to attack the EFL for finally making a decision. I'm not going to claim some conspiracy if OUFC don't go up (or claim it's 'unfair' or that we 'deserve' the chance to have a go). So long as there is a plan of some sort, I am happy.

Darragh has updated his bio on twitter... glad to see he's taken the news well.
SmartSelect_20200521-171135_Chrome.jpg

Hi Darragh, if you are on here ☺

The two words that are doing my head in in the response to the EFL's statement on Twitter are 'fair' and 'deserve'.

People asking how it's 'fair' that e.g. Tranmere don't get a chance to stay up (see e.g. here), as if that should play into the EFL's considerations. We're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's an unprecedented situation. Normal rules of fairness inherently go out the window. The only consideration now is pure practicality, and how the EFL can keep its clubs and structure (and players) safe. Whining about the 'unfairness' of a situation that is unfair solves absolutely nothing.

Second, 'deserve'. 'Posh have the best GD in the league, they deserve the chance to go up.' No they don't. Nobody does. You don't get what you deserve in football, you get what you earn. The Fat Ronaldo and Buffon, two of the finest players ever, never won the Champions League, but probably deserved to. The entitlement seeping through every utterance of the claim to 'deserving' promotion / survival by fans is ridiculous and does my head in. Again, it's an unprecedented situation. It calls for extraordinary measures. That will mean some teams get promoted and others get relegate or survive, but it does not mean that any of them inherently 'deserve' that outcome before the fact.

Apologies for rant. I'm pretty done with this whole thing. Very pleased we finally have an EFL statement. If it means we don't go up, I don't really care any more. As I say, it's not a situation that has ever happened before or has any right answer. I'm not going to claim some conspiracy if OUFC don't go up (or claim it's 'unfair' or that we 'deserve' the chance to have a go). So long as there is a plan of some sort, I am happy.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who refers to "fat Ronaldo".

A goal a game at PSV and Barcelona, not far off the same at Inter and Real, 60 odd goals for Brazil, 2 World Cups and 1 runners up, and the poor fella is remembered for getting fat and having a twatty haircut!

Any who, back to the EFL B*****s!!

I think the EFL proposal is sensible . Various Clubs financial positions could still affect the outcome going forward though including Swindon Town and separate fair play issues in the Championship.

Unweighted PPG has to be to be the fairest because it’s the most straight forward process to decide the standings. It’s based on what HAS happened. When the season curtailed WWFC had the third highest points per game, fact.

Weighted PPG introduces a single variable (when hundreds are available) and it makes absolutely no sense to do this. If you’re going to weight home/away then you have to look at who’s played who and you could boil it down to the finest details, injuries etc. It opens a real can of worms and is completely impractical.

I wasn't convinced until you said "fact."

Now I'm not really sure how I can argue with you. Facts is facts isn't it.

PPG - has anyone looked at past seasons to see what would have happened? Does weighted for home and away give a more accurate prediction? If true for the last 10 seasons then it should be used. If not no

PPG - has anyone looked at past seasons to see what would have happened? Does weighted for home and away give a more accurate prediction? If true for the last 10 seasons then it should be used. If not no
That’s been decided now

Apologies for rant. I'm pretty done with this whole thing. Very pleased we finally have an EFL statement. If it means we don't go up, I don't really care any more. As I say, it's not a situation that has ever happened before or has any right answer, so I'm not going to attack the EFL for finally making a decision. I'm not going to claim some conspiracy if OUFC don't go up (or claim it's 'unfair' or that we 'deserve' the chance to have a go). So long as there is a plan of some sort, I am happy.

Well if we are to forget that football is an entertainment business to actual stop the me me me attitude of clubs and fans during a horrible crisis then the season should have been voided 10 weeks ago...it's fine to talk of trying to get games played at any cost apparently whilst talking of integrity but to invent some Math formula to excuse your incompetence in the name of desperately trying to get another ball kicked is shambolic...Either as a sport (Chuckle) you acknowledge the world outside that many have died that others were fighting for breath or you show yourself up as a money grabbing entity.
We thank every player staff etc of every club for the efforts that they have put in to date...the fans who have travelled far and wide spending hunders of pounds..our thoughts are with the families of those who have suffered and lost loved ones and the thousands who have lost their lives and we hope you understand that it's important that a few football matches are played....With this said just to let you know that your club staff players and fans are not worthy of consideration but we hope to see you all next season.

We are aware that some out there had far better ways to resolve this that would have been The Right Thing for all concerned ...

Football the Beautiful Game

Does it not cancel itself out if you are using a full season?
Would be interesting to take the league table as at 10th March each season (or after the 36th matchday - which is what it should have been) and work out how the different systems (current places, ppg, Wppg) would fare in predicting the final table -

I think the EFL proposal is sensible . Various Clubs financial positions could still affect the outcome going forward though including Swindon Town and separate fair play issues in the Championship.
Yes what happens if play-offs are held in L2 and then Swindon get held back for bad behaviour or they get a points deduction that would have put them in the play-offs?

Would be interesting to take the league table as at 10th March each season (or after the 36th matchday - which is what it should have been) and work out how the different systems (current places, ppg, Wppg) would fare in predicting the final table -
sounds like a job for/ something that @Shosho would excel at? ?

If I was part of the EFL hirachy worried about clubs going to court this information would be invaluable

lets just crack on and beat pompey and beat wycombe in the final then everyone can flippin shut up!

There in is the difficulty.... cracking on won`t be around very soon, there is still a vote to be had and decisions made, that takes us to early June with no legal challenges. Contracts expiring, players fitness, well being etc etc etc..... and where are they being played? Those tree stumps at the fence end will be packed!

lets just crack on and beat pompey and beat wycombe in the final then everyone can flippin shut up!

Unless they have bought in a third place play off it’s unlikely we will be playing Wycombe, given our record against Fleetwood it’s a shame that if we beat Portsmouth that’s who we will likely play.

Bizarre to think that a suburb of Blackpool could have a second tier team.

Back
Top Bottom