EFL Gillingham match (and all other EFL games 17/4 at 3pm) to be moved

5.30s good for me, I can work on the house all day now.

Royalist or republican, it matters not.
Pragmatism and perspective are the key words here, rather than near hysteria and irrationality....
Keep tugging that forelock...........

Here's a question for you though. If it's so easy, why not have the funeral at 5:30pm, rather than move the thirty odd football matches that had already been scheduled for 3pm many months ago. Surely THAT is the solution that satisfies all. It's only a handful of royals who will be in attendance and 5:30pm is probably a better time for the TV companies that will undoubtably be covering it and those that do want to watch it will watch it whatever time it's on.

Here's a question for you though. If it's so easy, why not have the funeral at 5:30pm, rather than move the thirty odd football matches that had already been scheduled for 3pm many months ago. Surely THAT is the solution that satisfies all. It's only a handful of royals who will be in attendance and 5:30pm is probably a better time for the TV companies that will undoubtably be covering it and those that do want to watch it will watch it whatever time it's on.
..... but then, wouldnt Sky would have to postpone their 5.30pm live PL match coverage? ;)

..... but then, wouldnt Sky would have to postpone their 5.30pm live PL match coverage? ;)

Of course @Sarge, I forgot that. We can't have the Premier League inconvenienced, far better to move the other 30 plus games, as we're only the EFL and we don't matter at all.

@Colin B no offence but I assume you’ve no idea about the level and complexity of planning that goes into a royal occasion, be it a wedding or funeral and whether It’s 30 people attending or 300 and especially when those plans had to be rapidly adjusted to make it Covid compliant. It’s available on the Internet.
The Queen aside, we won’t have such a significant ‘one off’ event like this, hopefully for many years.
Football matches are arranged and rearranged on a regular basis, not just for TV, and that can happen because of well practised policies and routines that have been in place for years and can be adapted at very short notice because they know what works and what doesn’t.
But the bottom line is that he’s the Queen’s husband, her consort for 73 years and he takes priority over a programme of football matches. That’s just something we won’t agree on.

Last edited:
Life and death are far more important than anything else the world throws at us.
Everyone has beliefs and not everyone believes in the same.
Love the Royal family, hate the Royal family or don’t have an opinion however nearly every current living person in the British isles have not known anything else at the top of the monarch and I am pretty sure that most if not 100% of everyone on this forum have sung “God Save The Queen” at some point in their life so hearing these comments are baffling.
Moving a kick off time or date of a football match is very trivial especially as all will become “normal service resumes“ the following Saturday.
Don't think I have but I've blasted out a fair rendition of 'Anarchy in the Uk' a few times.

Will Alex MacDonald be returning for a trip down Memory Lane? I think he loved the OUFC badge and most were sorry to see him go. Celebrated big time when overcoming Millwall to get to Wembley. Well remembered, I imagine.

Yes it’s odd, surely the royals know there is usually football at 3 on a Saturday?

I've no doubt that all those unhappy about a royal event being forced upon them declined the bank holidays introduced to mark the Queen and Prince Phillip's Golden Anniversary a few years back.

Fair play, lads.
True story.

For the Queen's silver jubilee, 1977 I think and also a Bank Holiday, I told my company I wanted to work, as I didn't agree with it. I was not allowed to, as the firm closed down for the day. I was 21 years old and very idealistic in my views. Not wishing to be a hypocrite I asked my firm not to pay me for the day, but they would not do that either. So I donated the equivalent of a day's pay to charity.

For all other similar royal events that followed I was by then the boss at work and had the ability to work each time. So you can stick you assumption where the sun don't shine pal.

Ironically the only two PL games on Saturday were scheduled for 12:30 and 3:00, so now they’ll probably have to move Wolves v Sheffield United to 5:30 to get out of the way. I wonder if Newcastle v West Ham will also have to move forward a bit to 12:00 so it gets fully out of the way.

Must be a first for Sky, having someone dictate to them when a game is going to be played based on their wishes. Almost makes the whole thing worthwhile.

True story.

For the Queen's silver jubilee, 1977 I think and also a Bank Holiday, I told my company I wanted to work, as I didn't agree with it. I was not allowed to, as the firm closed down for the day. I was 21 years old and very idealistic in my views. Not wishing to be a hypocrite I asked my firm not to pay me for the day, but they would not do that either. So I donated the equivalent of a day's pay to charity.

For all other similar royal events that followed I was by then the boss at work and had the ability to work each time. So you can stick you assumption where the sun don't shine pal.
Jesus Christ. I bet your managers loved you...

True story.

Now, now, Colin. Play nicely.

Back
Top Bottom