EFL - The Covid-19 decision

This means that in the event of an early curtailment:
  • Final divisional placings should be determined on unweighted points per game (if required).
  • Promotion and relegation should be retained.
  • Play-Offs should be played in all circumstances but should not be extended (beyond four teams).
  • If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action.

So we either play all remaining games, or go into the playoffs in 4th place, or a further decision will be taken if playoffs aren't possible (which I guess mean promoting automatic places only).

So it’s a vote to decide whether to finish the season or unweighted ppg with 4 team play offs to decide the final promotion spot to be played. Only needs 12 teams to vote for that to pass in our division, so that looks nailed on.

Pompey in the play offs, although their is something about the FL deciding if for any reason the play offs can’t happen, so expect Ainsworth to try every dirty trick in the book to make that happen.

I think that's the best we can hope for, except for the EFL's obsession with unweighted PPG. The fact that they've used the term 'unweighted' means they've considered using weighted and rejected that idea for some reason. I don't get why.

I think that's the best we can hope for, except for the EFL's obsession with unweighted PPG. The fact that they've used the term 'unweighted' means they've considered using weighted and rejected that idea for some reason. I don't get why.
I spent about two days on here trying to explain why...

We should agree to the finishing the season now and play playoffs vote ONLY if they make clear what formulae they will choose to select who goes up if the play offs cant be played.

Presumably it is to avoid legal action along the lines of why did you weight it like this but not like this...
I think you're right. It is the simplest solution, if not necessarily the fairest.
Well ... it would be even simpler to do it by actual points total, rather than weighting it by games played. Why weight it like that but not other ways...?
(Anyway I'm just arguing the toss not because it's a big deal, but because it really is a stupid choice, as Nigelox1, BigCrompy et al have been explaining).

Didn't the EFL get legal advice before deciding this? Shocking decision, now open to legal challenges. The best we can hope for now is winning the play offs, but with the high possibility these will not be played it will be down to winning in the court to make sure Wycombe are not still sat in 3rd place when 3rd gets promoted, which on the face of it should be a very simple process based on simple maths. This is not a case of being a bad loser it is a simple case of ensuring fairness. Let Peterborough take the lead on the legal action and share the cost.

Back
Top Bottom