EFL - The Covid-19 decision

They are still arguing about what colour crayons to use, but it’s looking hopeful that a primary school will beat the football league with a decision so I will let you know when I know.

Meanwhile in a Swindon primary school there are a lot of broken teeth and some waxy gums. No crayons are to be seen but all present are holding their bellies and groaning.

The teacher's preparations for the children's return are not going well.

Last edited:
The Reading Uni predictions are obviously ridiculous. Theyve got Wycombe finishing down in eighth. As we all now know from the constant droning from the High Wycombe residents on here, they were just about to beat us, Coventry and Rotherham, among others, to fly up the table to a totally deserved promotion..?

The Reading Uni predictions are obviously ridiculous. Theyve got Wycombe finishing down in eighth. As we all now know from the constant droning from the High Wycombe residents on here, they were just about to beat us, Coventry and Rotherham, among others, to fly up the table to a totally deserved promotion..?

Perhaps they can start manufacturing a local rivalry with Reading now, instead of always trying to create one with us.

They have used the same methods they use to forecast inflation or gross domestic product (GDP). But as we full well know with our experience with a certain Tanzanian multi-millionaire former owner, the amount of cash a team has to it's disposal has f*ck all to do with how a team is going to perform on the pitch. Sure out of all the top 10, Portsmouth and Sunderland may well be the 'biggest clubs' in terms of fanbase and ticket sales - but there is a reason they are where they are.

So I get that it's going to work in our favour, and I do acknowledge that it's always better to settle things on the field of play.

But if things go the way it looks like they will (and Covid testing allows it), and we end up playing in a four team playoff tournament in July.....it's going to be the most random set of games ever.

First there's going to be the lack of fans and atmosphere. And then forget match fit, there's no guarantee that the majority of the players are going to be fit, period. I'm sure they've been working out, but there's a limit to what they can do at home. Everyone is going to be rusty, no one is going to have played together for months........

I hope that sheer quality and talent will then shine through, because we've got as much of it as any of the four teams.
But I fear that when none of the players have had the chance to play together for a long while, simple brute force lump-it-and-chase football is going to be the most effective.......so advantage to Ainsworth and his goons squad.

It’s a fair enough point by the Pompey bloke, you have a lot of clubs refusing to play football games because it costs to much (and they gain something/gain nothing from that stance) but are overlooking the fact that all income to the clubs comes from playing actual football games ultimately, so if they won’t play now what is going to change in a couple of months? Why would anyone buy a season ticket, sponsor them or do a tv deal with them when they are refusing to even entertain the idea of actually playing games.

And it’s not as if they have come up with any real plan for next season yet, which is not far away. The plan to run as cheaply as they can, try to get something out of this season by doing nothing but then offer no plans on how they are going to move forward and do the only thing they are actually in business for ie play matches is a strange one.

I can’t see many people buying a season ticket next season whether live or at home if clubs can’t come out with an actual product, it’s becoming more of a farce by the day.

Considering Pompey furloughed there staff and players a lot earlier than us. Maybe his thinking that finishing the season could guarantee them an auto place.
why can’t chairmen accept the eventual scenario is probably too 2 up and play offs between 3rd & 6th.
Thats not what the article is about Baz. It is about clubs saying they dont wont play now and ignoring the financial ramifications of next season which starts shortly

Thats not what the article is about Baz. It is about clubs saying they dont wont play now and ignoring the financial ramifications of next season which starts shortly
I know but it was Cartln who’s been advocating for the season to restart

I know but it was Cartln who’s been advocating for the season to restart
That's exactly the point. His argument is that football has to start at some point, and the risk and cost is no different now than it's likely to be in July/August. Finances in football are extremely fragile for most clubs at our level. Playing now potentially gives confidence to sponsors and season ticket holders to invest ahead of next season. Not doing so could see clubs die before another ball is kicked.

I'm not sure playing now is right, nor do I think it will happen in any great scale, but it's certainly a point of view that has some validity.

That's exactly the point. His argument is that football has to start at some point, and the risk and cost is no different now than it's likely to be in July/August. Finances in football are extremely fragile for most clubs at our level. Playing now potentially gives confidence to sponsors and season ticket holders to invest ahead of next season. Not doing so could see clubs die before another ball is kicked.

I'm not sure playing now is right, nor do I think it will happen in any great scale, but it's certainly a point of view that has some validity.

You might also say that the 2 should be look at as one...i think it's asking too much to expect fans to shell out for 1/2/3 games then again a few weeks later when if the streaming is sorted you could begin marketing the product and price as a whole package..ie whatever this season brings + next

Also it seems to be forgotten that season tickets for the current season have already been paid and sat in all the clubs coffers so any further games played you're relying on income from Non Season ticket holders only.

the fear I have is the lower leagues will take a bail out from the premiership in return for premiership B teams being entered into our leagues.
Regarding playing on to conclude the season would be to much for all lower leagues, The so called big clubs in this league Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey they couldn’t afford for the season to start now. They may when this mess is all over not been in a bad way as the remaining lower league clubs but they will be in a bad way.
So Catlin wants the season to restart now as it would be no different to starting in July/August.
he should wait until it’s safe and a more or less cast iron guarantee that no players or staff will be affected by COVID-19 before the season resumes or start the next season, so why not to see this time to talk to sponsors about sponsorship and regard ST that could be next year at the earliest, yes ST prices have to be discussed by each club, I think some prices could increase dramatically however with a potential wage cap ( which if brought in clubs will find a way to breach like they do the FFP ).
Unfortunately us fans will be the losers long term.

Back
Top Bottom