EFL - The Covid-19 decision

The longer this goes on then there will be no play offs. Also who pays for all the testing and hotel bills for the 4 clubs in the play offs? If you want to play games it would need to be done like in Germany where by all the players/staff stay in one place together during the process.

Hull who sit two points above the relegation zone, and who’s chairman has twice called for the season to be voided have reported two cases of coronavirus. They havent made clear if its players or staff.

Is all testing carried out by the EFL or do the clubs do their own testing and report their findings to the EFL?

Anyone can request a test now if they or anyone in their family have symptoms.

The longer this goes on then there will be no play offs. Also who pays for all the testing and hotel bills for the 4 clubs in the play offs? If you want to play games it would need to be done like in Germany where by all the players/staff stay in one place together during the process.

The clubs would pay I suppose, their are costs to being a professional football club, this is no different than that. Who pays Sky for all the lost televised games if they ask for their money back? Pretty certain the play offs are a done deal, Sky won’t ask for the money back if they are given something in return.

If only people were worrying about this in March, eh. Turns out an entire season of football revenue is way more important than finishing a handful of games.

Huh... oh well!

If only people were worrying about this in March, eh. Turns out an entire season of football revenue is way more important than finishing a handful of games.

Huh... oh well!

Very good article and this guy is saying what everyone has been talking about. While there is no vaccine, football at present is unsustainable. But some have said the reductions Hodgkinson quoted is not enough. As I said on a previous post, a salary cap or reduction as below needs to happen.

Premiership, 75% temporary salary reduction or cap of 25,000 p/w
Championship, 75% temporary salary reduction or cap of 5,000 p/w
League 1, 75% temporary salary reduction or cap of 1,250 p/w
League 2, 50% temporary salary reduction or cap of 1,250 p/w or per game.

Clubs can't even get fans to stay off the pitch when they get promoted, so there's no chance that the same people are going to adhere to the 2m social distancing rules if their team scores a last-minute winner in a play-off final.

Test everyone before admission into the ground. Then who needs social distancing?

Being old school, promote the teams in the top 3 places, relegate the teams in the bottom 3 places, the league doesn't lie.
Apparently it does on geographic location, what is clearly obvious in the centre of the universe, as you move in to the dark zones of lesser lifeforms this clear cut decision get warped and much nashing and wailing takes places with tribes chants”game in hand”and”the chairman says so ,it must be right”

Now available for all fans here: http://www.oxvox.org.uk/updatemay212020/
Test everyone before admission into the ground. Then who needs social distancing?

Depends what you mean by 'before admission'.

If you mean at the turnstile, so far as I'm aware, there isn't a test that gives instant results.

Temperature checks would potentially screen out some possible cases - although it would give false positives for those running a temperature for other reasons.

But temperature checks alone would let through false negatives - asymptomatic but infectious early stage cases, and cases where fever isn't a symptom.

It may be worth me posting on this thread the link to the email sent to OxVox members the other day.

It's been on the OxVox section on here since Saturday pm, but you may not have spotted it.

http://www.oxvox.org.uk/updatemay212020/

See the footnote - the piece was written just before the most recent EFL statement, but it's a decent summary of the overall situation.

(With apologies if the link has been given elsewhere on this or another thread, I haven't spotted it with a quick scan).

If Swindledon's promotion is cancelled due to Powergate, Colchester would take their place by the smallest of margins. They have the same (unweighted) PPG as Northampton but their goal difference is better by one.

Last edited:
Seems like the EFL gave clubs until 2pm today to provide their views. According to local reports, a majority is in favour of curtailing the season with Coventry and Rotherham promoted and us, Portsmouth, Wycombe and Fleetwood in playoffs.
The good news is that a decision will be made tomorrow.
The bad news is that it is a decision about when to hold a vote!
They've obviously been studying how the bureaucracy works in Belgium.

I haven't done my workings out yet, but my gut feeling is that this would miraculously save Tranmere from relegation!
Gave up reading after a couple of paragraphs scrolled down to see how much more of his statement there was and nearly fell asleep scrolling down, but I agree it’s so long winded way t seems Palios is hoping people will give up reading and just vote for it, and Pauli’s says thanks for allowing Tranmere to stay in L1 “ WHAT “ say the rest of the L1 chairmen “ hang on I’ve also got a proposal “ says MacAnthony

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom