Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

Depends on how long the franchise teams last I guess.

I'm not against the idea of 'franchises' entirely, I think for instance the Test Side could benefit if you had another level between the County Championship and Test level. 4 teams (North, Midlands, South East, South West+Wales). Concentration of talent from the county game, England qualified players only, playing red ball cricket.

I’ll be cheering on my beloved Western Storm again 🥹.

I’ll probably watch some, namely because it’s cricket on terrestrial TV. It’s another form of forgettable hit and giggle though. It’s the McDonald’s of cricket. Satiates you in the immediate but utterly forgettable in the long run. Aside from maybe a couple of World T20 finals that featured England, can you reel off many truly memorable T20 moments and matches? The same applies to The Hundred.

The Blast still feels a better product and ripe for becoming a dominant T20 tournament to run alongside the BBL and IPL. The Hundred sits there as another and unnecessary tournament that the cricketing calendar could do without.

The only good thing about the tournament is that it is on terrestrial TV so could get an audience interested in the game which the traditional Sky/BT coverage can't reach. Hopefully then some of the new fans could upgrade to a better format of the game.
problem is .... basically the hundred is a really bastardised version/ adaptation of the game

like last year its a resounding NO from me

.... now IF there was a team representing Oxford/ Oxon maybe, just maybe I might be slightly tempted (the likelihood of an Oxon side is zero)

I’ll be cheering on my beloved Western Storm again 🥹.

I’ll probably watch some, namely because it’s cricket on terrestrial TV. It’s another form of forgettable hit and giggle though. It’s the McDonald’s of cricket. Satiates you in the immediate but utterly forgettable in the long run. Aside from maybe a couple of World T20 finals that featured England, can you reel off many truly memorable T20 moments and matches? The same applies to The Hundred.

The Blast still feels a better product and ripe for becoming a dominant T20 tournament to run alongside the BBL and IPL. The Hundred sits there as another and unnecessary tournament that the cricketing calendar could do without.
The blast and hundred does seem.to be overkill.
Cricket seems to be trying to find a way of financing the County game, which doesn't produce the players that England want as a Test team (Lynch and Bess are the best off spinners we have in 18 County teams?)
There has always been talk of reducing the number of County sides. The Hundred maybe is a back door way of starting this?

The blast and hundred does seem.to be overkill.
Cricket seems to be trying to find a way of financing the County game, which doesn't produce the players that England want as a Test team (Lynch and Bess are the best off spinners we have in 18 County teams?)
There has always been talk of reducing the number of County sides. The Hundred maybe is a back door way of starting this?
...which is sort of what I think could happen. Keep the County Game as the basis for our Red Ball, introduce a 4-team 'Regional' tournament to concentrate the pick of the CC talent and have them play on Test-quality pitches. Pay the counties a decent amount if one of their players represents their 'regional team'.

Depends on how long the franchise teams last I guess.

I'm not against the idea of 'franchises' entirely, I think for instance the Test Side could benefit if you had another level between the County Championship and Test level. 4 teams (North, Midlands, South East, South West+Wales). Concentration of talent from the county game, England qualified players only, playing red ball cricket.
That’s a very good idea actually!

Why don’t the ECB come up with ideas like this rather than the stupid hundred??

The first time in the Stokes-McCullum era we're having to bat first and it's not going so well, 55-4 and both Root and Bairstow back in the pavilion.

Has to be said, this is an exceptional quartet of fast bowlers SA have. The first time they've ever all been fit at the same time and played together apparently.

116/6, Pope the only one giving it a go (61*). Clinging to the old 'never judge until both sides have had a bat' adage.

It was probably a good toss to win, but another very poor first innings batting performance .
Up to Jimmy to bowl SA out cheaply !

Zak Crawley's average is now 26.3 .....and that's despite having a score of 267 to his name! He's had 47 Test innings, and 21.5% of his runs came in one of them!

I was all for giving him a long look, because he's young and talented, but he's looking lost at the moment. Needs a spell back in the counties. Next man up!

(n.b. I'm also kind of hoping that this is going to repeat the reverse jinx I applied to Jonny Bairstow at the start of the summer.....although even he reverted to old ways today.......)

Zak Crawley's average is now 26.3 .....and that's despite having a score of 267 to his name! He's had 47 Test innings, and 21.5% of his runs came in one of them!

I was all for giving him a long look, because he's young and talented, but he's looking lost at the moment. Needs a spell back in the counties. Next man up!

(n.b. I'm also kind of hoping that this is going to repeat the reverse jinx I applied to Jonny Bairstow at the start of the summer.....although even he reverted to old ways today.......)
There was a suggestion that the squad has been picked for the first 2 Tests.
So that could mean Crawley has 3 more innings (I am sure that a change could be made however)
Agree that he has had his chance.
Who could be a possibility as an opener (there are more obvious alternatives in the middle order)

There was a suggestion that the squad has been picked for the first 2 Tests.
So that could mean Crawley has 3 more innings (I am sure that a change could be made however)
Agree that he has had his chance.
Who could be a possibility as an opener (there are more obvious alternatives in the middle order)

Give Ben Compton a shot? He's not exactly exciting, and he's already 28, but he's the leading run scorer in Division One by quite some distance.

Alternatively, you could give Haseeb Hameed another go? Yes, he had a torrid time in Australia......but that's a tough place to play at the best of times, never mind when you're a youngster that's just got back into a team that's being absolutely steamrollered by an excellent Aussie attack.
He's never actually had a game against a bad or even mediocre side - five of his ten Tests were in Oz, and the other five were against India (and he hit four fifties in those......). Always though he had a decent technique for Test cricket, and he's having a pretty reasonable season.

England all out for 165 before lunch on day 2.... SA 27-0 after 12 overs

with the sun coming out this afternoon it'll favour the batsmen

BTW there a couple of OUFC ST holders in the crowd at Lords today

The cricket ground looks very green. No "straw like" patches. Surely there is a hose pipe ban? Or does it not apply?

The cricket ground looks very green. No "straw like" patches. Surely there is a hose pipe ban? Or does it not apply?
Water? This is Lord's, the field is sprinkled with Veuve Clicquot. That's why the pitch can't stand up level.

I don't think that any hose pipe ban applies to professional sports pithes

Back
Top Bottom