Cricket thread (Summer edition)

Gary Baldi

It's raining, so it must mean the new test match summer is upon us.

New selector, new players, same old frailties? Winning the toss could have a massive impact on who wins the game.

Still too many unanswered questions at the top of the order, Broad and Anderson another year older with few replacement options, 3rd new spinner in 4 test matches...

Going to be a tough summer.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Hoping that there's no tampering with the Dukes balls:eek:

Hoping that there's no tampering with the Dukes balls:eek:
The Aussies are coming later in the summer aren't they? ;)

Their team is really inexperienced while ours is prone to collapses. Big hour for the openers...

No. Quite a few from these parts were wandering around Wembley in their egg'n bacon ties after the train due in Marylebone at 10.30 collapsed in a puff of smoke and deposited them at Wembley station. Few of them seemed to have made it to Wembley Central when I hiked there.

It's raining, so it must mean the new test match summer is upon us.

New selector, new players, same old frailties? Winning the toss could have a massive impact on who wins the game.

Apparently so. But not in the expected way.

Oh dear.
Will have to bowl very well to get back into this game.
Going Saturday so hopefully England can get back in the game today.

They like to throw their hands at everything, don't they? White ball cricket has addled their brains. Only Cook (who plays only red ball cricket) with the skills and balls to stem the bloodletting. Virtually all the other wickets were avoidable, though the Pakistanis did bowl well to be fair...bringing swing bowlers to England is rather unfair, isn't it?

I can understand Stokes and Buttler being 1 day mode after just getting back from the IPL. The rest have no excuse though. Abbas bowled wonderfully at Stoneman, absolutely top class.

I worry for the India series

We've got a team with some excellent players who are past their best (Broad, Cook, Anderson) some who are excellent one day players but not patient enough for long form cricket (Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler), one excellent young player forced into captaincy too early (Root) and a whole load of very average (being kind) journeyman cricketers who are simply not good enough to play test cricket.

I'm not a great county cricket expert (to say the least) but surely we must have someone better than Stoneman, who is a walking wicket, or Malan who is a bit better, but no match winner, some fiery young bowler who can steam in and give it a go.

Being beaten by a team of youngsters, possibly within three days and being totally outplayed with no fight, no discipline and glaring technical and coaching faults is disgraceful.

We've got a team with some excellent players who are past their best (Broad, Cook, Anderson) some who are excellent one day players but not patient enough for long form cricket (Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler), one excellent young player forced into captaincy too early (Root) and a whole load of very average (being kind) journeyman cricketers who are simply not good enough to play test cricket.

I'm not a great county cricket expert (to say the least) but surely we must have someone better than Stoneman, who is a walking wicket, or Malan who is a bit better, but no match winner, some fiery young bowler who can steam in and give it a go.

Being beaten by a team of youngsters, possibly within three days and being totally outplayed with no fight, no discipline and glaring technical and coaching faults is disgraceful.
I honestly don't know why Stoneman and Malan were picked. They are not Test standard. I think bringing Buttler back as a no 7 will backfire. Root has his place in the team nailed on but he's no captain. He doesn't have control of Broad and Anderson. And he constantly makes the wrong decisions.We should have bowled first 100%. I think we need to have a shake up and maybe prepared to lose a few tests along the way.

I agree. We are losing badly and consistently anyway, so why not grasp the nettle and build for the future?

I honestly don't know why Stoneman and Malan were picked. They are not Test standard. I think bringing Buttler back as a no 7 will backfire. Root has his place in the team nailed on but he's no captain. He doesn't have control of Broad and Anderson. And he constantly makes the wrong decisions.We should have bowled first 100%. I think we need to have a shake up and maybe prepared to lose a few tests along the way.
To be fair Butler has been one of the only players to buckle down.
Overall not good enough. We need a decent.opener or two and will need some bowlers ...

Back
Top Bottom