Manager/Coach Craig Short

Steve Gilbert

If you watch the CS interview he mentions a lot about being more solid but also how we need to do the nasty side of the game better.
I then noticed the training pictures that the club put on Twitter today, all players were now wearing shin pads in training.

Seems like Short wants players to start getting stuck in more and stop being soft. I’m not sure the football will be that pretty to watch but hopefully it gets us over the line!

If you watch the CS interview he mentions a lot about being more solid but also how we need to do the nasty side of the game better.
I then noticed the training pictures that the club put on Twitter today, all players were now wearing shin pads in training.

Seems like Short wants players to start getting stuck in more and stop being soft. I’m not sure the football will be that pretty to watch but hopefully it gets us over the line!
Brilliant, but I bet Murphy will be deciding that he won't be training that often, as well as playing. 🤕

todays OM back page - prob based on the interview (?) - CS sounds like he's setting up not to lose tomorrow

a clean sheet guarantees (at least) a point, - that said, we need to get some points, and sharpish- personally Im worry slightly if the intent is first n foremost not to lose, ..... especially given the costly defensive clangers dropped all too often this season..... I (still) rather like the Jim Smith ethos 'Attack is the best form of defence'

todays OM back page - prob based on the interview (?) - CS sounds like he's setting up not to lose tomorrow

a clean sheet guarantees (at least) a point, - that said, we need to get some points, and sharpish- personally Im worry slightly if the intent is first n foremost not to lose, ..... especially given the costly defensive clangers dropped all too often this season..... I (still) rather like the Jim Smith ethos 'Attack is the best form of defence'
About time
You won’t win games with no forwards, and any decent team is built on a solid defence and strong midfield.
Robinson has worked a**e backwards for 5 years.

The Neil Warnock school of hard knocks for survival...shin guards/crash helmets in training 😃

It won’t be pretty today, that’s for sure. I’m not so sure I agree with Short in trying to go all defensively minded just to perhaps prove a point. We don’t have particularly defensive minded players and our best chance of a result is probably going to be to have a go - it’s Lincoln not Real Madrid.This week should have been about getting a smile on players faces, getting the confidence up. Yes, working on the defence but it’s not like that’s the weakest area of our game - we can’t score for toffee. Working on trying to score a goal would have been towards the top of my priorities.

It won’t be pretty today, that’s for sure. I’m not so sure I agree with Short in trying to go all defensively minded just to perhaps prove a point. We don’t have particularly defensive minded players and our best chance of a result is probably going to be to have a go - it’s Lincoln not Real Madrid.This week should have been about getting a smile on players faces, getting the confidence up. Yes, working on the defence but it’s not like that’s the weakest area of our game - we can’t score for toffee. Working on trying to score a goal would have been towards the top of my priorities.

We don’t have particularly offensive minded players either though, got no goals in us, so I suppose it’s easier to turn this side into one that battles and scraps for points than one that turns sides over 4 nil, we ain’t Real Madrid either.

We are in a relegation battle and have 1 point from the last eight games, we are pretty dreadful at the basics of football and can’t keep clean sheets so I don’t mind going back to the start and trying to build from there.

If we don’t keep a clean sheet between now and the end of the season, if we don’t tighten up at the back, then I reckon we get relegated, fair play to Short if he has recognised that because the last manager was in denial about our true plight and us being in a relegation scrap.

We don’t have particularly offensive minded players either though, got no goals in us, so I suppose it’s easier to turn this side into one that battles and scraps for points than one that turns sides over 4 nil, we ain’t Real Madrid either.

We are in a relegation battle and have 1 point from the last eight games, we are pretty dreadful at the basics of football and can’t keep clean sheets so I don’t mind going back to the start and trying to build from there.

If we don’t keep a clean sheet between now and the end of the season, if we don’t tighten up at the back, then I reckon we get relegated, fair play to Short if he has recognised that because the last manager was in denial about our true plight and us being in a relegation scrap.

We’ll agree to disagree then because I don‘t know why, with an equally inept defence as we have attack, you’d set up to try and get a point as opposed to trying to get three points. If we don’t score any goals we’ll get relegated, I’m not sure the odd point is any good. Take the next three away games, Short is implying three hard earned, well drilled, 0-0 draws is somehow better than going more front foot, losing 1-0 in two of the games but winning 6-4 in the other - 3 points either way, same goal difference but more goals scored in the finer detail. I’m glad this will be his last game involved with the club - he has been a part of the problem too, as have all the coaching staff.

Last edited:
We’ll agree to disagree then because I don‘t know why, with an equally inept defence as we have attack, you’d set up to try and get a point as opposed to trying to get three points. If we don’t score any goals we’ll get relegated, I’m not sure the odd point is any good. Take the next three away games, Short is implying three hard earned, well drilled, 0-0 draws is somehow better than going more front foot, losing 1-0 in two of the games but winning 6-4 in the other - 3 points either way, same goal difference but more goals scored in the finer detail. I’m glad this will be his last game involved with the club - he has been a part of the problem too, as have all the coaching staff.

I think if we draw all our remaining matches 0-0 we'll be safe.

Win 6-4... right.

I think if we draw all our remaining matches 0-0 we'll be safe.

Win 6-4... right.

No, what I’m saying is when two aspects of your game are similar - both crap - why work on the negative (defence) than the positive (attack) ? This is 2023 not the 1970’s - the game has moved on with the emphasis far more on trying to win games than shutting up shop. Yeah and if we win every third game, while losing the other two, we’ll be safe … right ?

Top managers nowadays are gutted to draw ANY league game - home or away - and with the withdrawal of the away goals in Europe they’re almost as frustrated with an away draw in that too. Thank God Short is nowhere near consideration for this job, a mindset from the dark days.

No, what I’m saying is when two aspects of your game are similar - both crap - why work on the negative (defence) than the positive (attack) ? This is 2023 not the 1970’s - the game has moved on with the emphasis far more on trying to win games than shutting up shop. Yeah and if we win every third game, while losing the other two, we’ll be safe … right ?

Top managers nowadays are gutted to draw ANY league game - home or away - and with the withdrawal of the away goals in Europe they’re almost as frustrated with an away draw in that too. Thank God Short is nowhere near consideration for this job, a mindset from the dark days.
... hope he doesnt, err , come up short (!) today

Back
Top Bottom