Craig Bellamy the new favourite!!

All the better then.
But after watching the Charlton game, both Pep and the recruitment team got it right, the quick incisive passing football was much better than the Maguire pirouette slow football, for all the romantic views of fans players have to fit into the pattern of play, that was probably where Pep went wrong and tried to bring in what he knew not what was best with the systems we were playing.

Know someone who did his FAW Pro license course in Newport with Bellamy.

Said he was absolutely brilliant, and not at all how you’d expect him to be.

He had great ideas, energy and actually did his homework, unlike many of the other ex-pros. He was also the only pro to mingle and engage with the non pros. Some of the others were very cliquey and looked down their noses apparently.

Sorry to hijack the 'should we sing/clap for Maguire' thread but this is an interesting one I think. I always wonder how people manage to form such deep rooted opinions of a guy that they have only seen playing football on TV and in a few thirty second post match interviews? To the best of my knowledge (and there are huge gaps in that so I could be wrong) I don't remember him involved in any huge scandals, don't remember him being lightweight or lacking commitment, don't remember him disrespecting the game in any way? He was a horrible, chippy bastard to play against but the sort of player you'd love on your team. Chris Maguire became a cult hero here doing the same thing.

Everything i've seen of him since has seemed quite calm, reasoned, respectful and intelligent when talking about football. I'm not saying he is the answer, but ruling him out based on him being perceived as an'horrible Welsh ####' by people that I suspect have never met him and are basing their opinions on gut feelings seems insane. If anyone knows any different about him i'd be interested to know?

Lack of experience, totally agree, everything else, slightly ridiculous if there is no substance to it.

Sorry to hijack the 'should we sing/clap for Maguire' thread but this is an interesting one I think. I always wonder how people manage to form such deep rooted opinions of a guy that they have only seen playing football on TV and in a few thirty second post match interviews? To the best of my knowledge (and there are huge gaps in that so I could be wrong) I don't remember him involved in any huge scandals, don't remember him being lightweight or lacking commitment, don't remember him disrespecting the game in any way? He was a horrible, chippy bastard to play against but the sort of player you'd love on your team. Chris Maguire became a cult hero here doing the same thing.

Everything i've seen of him since has seemed quite calm, reasoned, respectful and intelligent when talking about football. I'm not saying he is the answer, but ruling him out based on him being perceived as an'horrible Welsh ####' by people that I suspect have never met him and are basing their opinions on gut feelings seems insane. If anyone knows any different about him i'd be interested to know?

Lack of experience, totally agree, everything else, slightly ridiculous if there is no substance to it.
Things I'm aware of include his physical assault of fellow players (off the pitch) which he confirmed in his book. He took a golf club to Riise for example.

He had a huge fall out at Newcastle which stemmed from his unhappiness at being asked to play out of his preferred position so he threatened to feign injury. Souness was furious at this and shipped him out. All this is quite well documented.

So yes I think he did more than just sound chippy in interviews.

However, I would hate people to judge me solely based on my past mistakes and poor decisions. He may be a reformed character and I'm sure he's grown up and matured since then. If he's had an interview then it would be up to him to convince DE that he has the maturity to take on such a role.

It’s safe to say there are real concerns about Bellamy’s suitability but if he had the balls to stand up to Souness as a young player then I’d say that shows he has the mental toughness to succeed! And I suppose if he’s prepared to drop down the leagues to start his managerial career it shows a determination and dispels concerns of him being a big time Charlie

Attacking a work colleague with a golf club isn’t a big deal? That’s great, going to take a full set in on Monday, a few people are getting what’s coming to them.
Best get a caddy to pass you the appropriate "club".

Things I'm aware of include his physical assault of fellow players (off the pitch) which he confirmed in his book. He took a golf club to Riise for example.

He had a huge fall out at Newcastle which stemmed from his unhappiness at being asked to play out of his preferred position so he threatened to feign injury. Souness was furious at this and shipped him out. All this is quite well documented.

So yes I think he did more than just sound chippy in interviews.

However, I would hate people to judge me solely based on my past mistakes and poor decisions. He may be a reformed character and I'm sure he's grown up and matured since then. If he's had an interview then it would be up to him to convince DE that he has the maturity to take on such a role.

Yup, had totally forgotten the 'golf club' thing although to be fair i'm not sure a drunken smack on the a**e with the handle of a golf club constitutes anything particularly out of the ordinary for young footballers after a drink (unless it turns all Max Mosley). Joking aside I agree it was unpleasant and he quite rightly said after In his autobiography that his actions were “pathetic” and “stupidity of the highest level”. The fall out with Souness was a little different. Souness came in needing to assert his authority, both had hugely differing views on the tactics and neither enjoyed each other's company. Always destined for failure. That being said, he should have handled it better.

Ok so the Pep experiment didn’t work out but I think that we can all see that the appointment was made with the best intentions and the reasons behind it. Whoever DE plumps for this time, I for one am happy to trust him to get it right. The search certainly seems to be a detailed and exhaustive one.

Back
Top Bottom