Ex-Staff Chris Wilder

Short memory a lot of people wanted him out because of his style of playing.
He was shackled by a shocking lack of funds and by the two faced actions of Lenagan. He left us, went to Northampton and took them to promotion winning the title in the process. He then took Sheffield Utd to the Premiership. Many pundits acclaimed his time in the Premiership and comments of how much better he would have been with funding, were often heard.
And, of course, don't forget that he got us back into the Football League. Style of playing? Seems to have worked well over the years.

He was shackled by a shocking lack of funds and by the two faced actions of Lenagan. He left us, went to Northampton and took them to promotion winning the title in the process. He then took Sheffield Utd to the Premiership. Many pundits acclaimed his time in the Premiership and comments of how much better he would have been with funding, were often heard.
And, of course, don't forget that he got us back into the Football League. Style of playing? Seems to have worked well over the years.
...after which he fell out with the Sheff Utd board, went before the inevitable relegation. Then went to Boro, where he had a good start, then only took 20 points from 21 games, waggled his a*se at the Burnley job and lost the dressing room, and has now got sacked.

Following on from his rise, the next job is very important in halting a clear decline I would say.

I think a job in league one to steady him could give him a kick up the a**e he needs would I want him back I dunno I probably wouldn't say no to be honest

I remember a game away at Wimbledon (must've been 2013-14 dipping into Soccerbase to confirm it) where we won there and seemed like a team who preferred to not have the ball. When in possession, we held it for a few passes, looped it forward and started harrying the opponent who had the ball. We preyed on mistakes and pushed forward in attack when we could. It was a team made up of very limited footballers who were committed and made lower league careers built on hard graft rather than any form of technical ability (Raynes, Hunt, Newey, Whing, Constable etc). It's what he could afford at the time. Whilst some of the principles remained the same as CW went up the leagues, his sides understandably got better and were more easy on the eye. The same applied to Atkins a decade before - he built a solid team out of fairly meagre resources hence dull but quite effective football at times.

...after which he fell out with the Sheff Utd board, went before the inevitable relegation. Then went to Boro, where he had a good start, then only took 20 points from 21 games, waggled his a*se at the Burnley job and lost the dressing room, and has now got sacked.

Following on from his rise, the next job is very important in halting a clear decline I would say.

CW had an almost unbroken period of employment from 2001 to 2021, only leaving jobs when he either moved on or up. Since March 2021, he's been sacked twice. He needs somewhere that will give him time to put his changes in place or else he may well be viewed as a manager in decline, as you say, who has peaked.

No, no, no, 1,000 times no!

Wilder, as this thread is already demonstrating, would divide our fanbase, and that is the last thing we need at the moment. We need somebody that ALL of us can get behind.

He's not the young hungry Chris Wilder of 15 or so years ago either. He's a sour 55 year old who seems to fall out with every board of directors he has, and has been found out as a manager. Add to that his well known penchant for touting himself (via his media chums) for every other job going, and it would be a recipe for disaster. Either he'd fail here and the club would be like a war zone, or he'd start to succeed and be off to the first half decent offer that came his way and leave us in the lurch.

Also he disrespected us, and for that he should have no way back here.

Wilder, as this thread is already demonstrating, would divide our fanbase, and that is the last thing we need at the moment. We need somebody that ALL of us can get behind.

He's not the young hungry Chris Wilder of 15 or so years ago either. He's a sour 55 year old who seems to fall out with every board of directors he has, and has been found out as a manager. Add to that his well known penchant for touting himself (via his media chums) for every other job going, and it would be a recipe for disaster. Either he'd fail here and the club would be like a war zone, or he'd start to succeed and be off to the first half decent offer that came his way and leave us in the lurch.

Running across the pitch to kiss the Sheffield United badge, not interested in United's history says it all. Admittedly a great day out in 2010 but a definite NO from me..........not that it would ever happen.

I think these are rather subjective reasons, and not founded in football. However I'd rather move forward with someone younger if we do change manager, though I'm sure he'd do well with us. Won't happen anyway, he won't want to drop down or move south, I'm sure.

Running across the pitch to kiss the Sheffield United badge, not interested in United's history says it all. Admittedly a great day out in 2010 but a definite NO from me..........not that it would ever happen.
He has been a Sheffield United fan all his life for goodness sake. I see nothing wrong in that. When I take over from Pep, I’ll only kiss the OUFC badge, that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to win the league with city.

I'm never very keen on rehiring old ex-managers or ex-players. Firstly it often seems a bit lazy ('he was OK last time, just sign him again') and secondly it quite often seems to fail spectacularly! Situations change and that means the 'fit' is no longer as good as it was.

I'm never very keen on rehiring old ex-managers or ex-players. Firstly it often seems a bit lazy ('he was OK last time, just sign him again') and secondly it quite often seems to fail spectacularly! Situations change and that means the 'fit' is no longer as good as it was.
Jim Smith, too long in the tooth by this point, trying to stop us from being in free fall was quite a sad reminder of why going back is usually a bad idea

Jim Smith, too long in the tooth by this point, trying to stop us from being in free fall was quite a sad reminder of why going back is usually a bad idea

Denis Smith’s second spell started well but then deteriorated in season two from memory (albeit at a time when the club was on its knees!)

I think a job in league one to steady him could give him a kick up the a**e he needs would I want him back I dunno I probably wouldn't say no to be honest

I reckon if the timings of his sacking had come earlier then a move to Derby may have attracted him.

Back
Top Bottom