General Cashless Ticket Office

I read the other day that Visa and Mastercard are raising the fees that they charge merchants for debit and credit card transactions.

Does anyone work for a retailer and know the charges these days? Is it a combination of a small per transaction fee and a percentage of the transaction value?

I know some shops have a minimum fee on card, presumably a 20p or 50p charge on a £5 transaction takes away a lot of the profit?
I normally have a bit of cash for small purchases as I feel a bit of a moron using a card to buy a Kitcat Chunky, but my corner shop is cool with a card for anything over a quid. I guess they're happy to hoover up the business even if the profit is minute.

I read the other day that Visa and Mastercard are raising the fees that they charge merchants for debit and credit card transactions.

Does anyone work for a retailer and know the charges these days? Is it a combination of a small per transaction fee and a percentage of the transaction value?

I know some shops have a minimum fee on card, presumably a 20p or 50p charge on a £5 transaction takes away a lot of the profit?

Pubs used to make a big deal out of minimum spend but you don't see it any more, if i pop to my local for a couple of pints I pay on card now and thats less than a fiver, used to have to buy two and leave one in to drink later in the days of the £5 minimum spend but that seems to have gone, in a lot of pubs I suppose inflation will have stopped that anyway.

Whilst I completely accept that cash is on the way out, I think the club could do a much better job of communicating this with fans so people can make adjustments.

By and large, people move with the times but some don't move as fast for a variety of reasons. It can't be nice if you feel like you've been left behind, especially by an institution that you've given so much time and money to over the years. The club should be valuing fans and helping them along when things change. Not just reacting when someone turns up at the window wanting to pay cash and telling them 'sorry grandad, it's card only'.

Blimey, I'm struggling to think of many places that charge less than a fiver for a single pint!

I am a fosters/Carling/Carlsberg type of man so that helps, but where I live on the borders of Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire a lot of the local pubs are around the £4/£4.50 mark, not exactly a poor area so I can't imagine proper locals are much more elsewhere. Obviously you can spend more if you want to somewhere swankier but can't say I am to fussy just for a couple of pints.

I use a different payment provider and pay 2% of the transaction as the processing fee and renting a portable terminal is £349 each per year. I imagine a longstanding business like OUFC pays between 1.5% assuming our ticket office is operating independently in terms of administration. Most basic modern terminals probably cost between £20-40 to rent a month these days. I know Ticketmaster has their cuts and fees but I don't know if that extends to supplying the payment framework on top with the provider. Either way, OUFC are losing small money on the face value of a ticket but it probably works out cheaper than if we did it in-house and had to pay for a weekly collection plus it takes less staff to facilitate.

The scary thing going forward is that physical ticket offices may also become a thing of the past. It very well may turn into online only in time with top up cards acting as personal match tickets and season tickets as well as the print options. I remember when we moved to the Kassam and you'd have the windows stacked and the phones buzzing but if we did move to the new home then I'd expect a very scaled-back operation. Ticketmaster were once untouchable and virtually printing money in this domain but things are changing with the times.

I think someone who calls themself Werther's Original should feel like a moron regardless of their payment method.

KitKat chunky is a solid choice though. I can only assume they'd run out of Wispa Gold.
The salted caramel Wispa Gold took the original to a new level IMO. Bought three of them last week as the local Tesco had them reduced to clear.

Paid with card.

I think someone who calls themself Werther's Original should feel like a moron regardless of their payment method.

KitKat chunky is a solid choice though. I can only assume they'd run out of Wispa Gold.
Uh, found a new club yet, big boy?

.... if they ( the club) opened a post office bank account, paying in cash periodically when required should be relatively straightforward? there are currently a few post office branches relatively close to the Breeze Block
Limits on the amount of deposits at PO's vary depening on size - smaller ones it can be as lower as a few hundred pounds. Depositing cash for a business is also not free.

"Season Ticket holders can now access their 10% Club Shop discount via telephone every 1st Thursday of the month between 3-5pm (excluding peak times)."

You couldn`t make it up really. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Limits on the amount of deposits at PO's vary depening on size - smaller ones it can be as lower as a few hundred pounds. Depositing cash for a business is also not free.
really? Im considering opening a PO bank account, if that's the case I'll look elsewhere

I don't work for a retailer, but do know. It used to be a mix of flat fee, and %. It is now just a % normally in the range 0.2% to 3% depending on the contract you have (depends on things like turnover). So on your £5 purchase that would be between 1p and 15p.

really? Im considering opening a PO bank account, if that's the case I'll look elsewhere
Yes, a relative once had fun and games trying to get some money paid in when they sold a car.

I use a different payment provider and pay 2% of the transaction as the processing fee and renting a portable terminal is £349 each per year. I imagine a longstanding business like OUFC pays between 1.5% assuming our ticket office is operating independently in terms of administration. Most basic modern terminals probably cost between £20-40 to rent a month these days. I know Ticketmaster has their cuts and fees but I don't know if that extends to supplying the payment framework on top with the provider. Either way, OUFC are losing small money on the face value of a ticket but it probably works out cheaper than if we did it in-house and had to pay for a weekly collection plus it takes less staff to facilitate.

The scary thing going forward is that physical ticket offices may also become a thing of the past. It very well may turn into online only in time with top up cards acting as personal match tickets and season tickets as well as the print options. I remember when we moved to the Kassam and you'd have the windows stacked and the phones buzzing but if we did move to the new home then I'd expect a very scaled-back operation. Ticketmaster were once untouchable and virtually printing money in this domain but things are changing with the times.
Is already the case for some Premier League clubs.

freedom of choice is all Im wanting - whether to pay by cash, plastic or electronically.
What about freedom of choice for a business on what payment to accept?

Nestle can f**k off and take their kitkats with them.

Back
Top Bottom