Ex Player #9 James Constable

So good to have him back and this is the perfect sounding role for him.

Just thinking that if we’re promoted with five games left and you just wonder if a sneaky player registration could make its way to the EFL ….

welcome back Beano

I still think the club should campaign- or at least @OxVox and @OUSP Secretary should campaign for the hat trick ( I think) v Chester ,the season they went bust, & dropped out mid season, that were wiped from official records, by The FA and/or EFL- despite the fact it was a competitive league game when it was played. I kind of understand what was done regarding points won /lost v Chester during that part season, with regard to end of season places. Wiping the goals scored against Chester during that seasonfrom history was, in my opinion, a very poor decision by the powers that be. One that should be reversed, albeit retrospectively.

Those 3 goals, if officially reinstated by the powers that be, would make Beano our ALL TIME top goalscorer. He was robbed by circumstances not of his making, of that record, which I (still) believe was wrong of the powers that be to do.
It was a shame but I just can't see it being changed, unless the Chester ruling broke precedent.

If a club gets expelled mid-season, and their results are then expunged, it stands to reason (in my head at least) that goals scored in those games also get expunged.

A real shame for Beano in that sense, but I'm not sure if it's the wrong call personally. And I just can't see the FA/EFL changing that either personally. They're bad enough dealing with current issues, let alone those from over a decade ago!

It was a shame but I just can't see it being changed, unless the Chester ruling broke precedent.

If a club gets expelled mid-season, and their results are then expunged, it stands to reason (in my head at least) that goals scored in those games also get expunged.

A real shame for Beano in that sense, but I'm not sure if it's the wrong call personally. And I just can't see the FA/EFL changing that either personally. They're bad enough dealing with current issues, let alone those from over a decade ago!
I agree - but a challenge to their mishandling, might, just might result in a change ( lets not forget the yellow card he got along with hat-trick v Chester DID count, counted in him being suspended on the card totting up rule/law that season- if that was valid then, seriously, why not the goals scored?- explain that FA/EFL) ... its worth properly persuing this one methinks.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: MJB
You love to see it.

We often talk about who is and isn't a club legend. James Constable is a 100% club legend for me. We've had better players over the years, but none with a bigger heart than Beano.

Incredibly loyal to the club and even snubbed the other lot when he would have made loads more money doing so. Scored so many goals and his two at the Skip are absolutely iconic. And without being too melodramatic, the club might have folded if he hadn't scored all of those goals in the Conference - lots of players were important in that squad but noone was more important than Beano.

Brilliant to have him back at the club. Hope he enjoys the new role.
Agree. In terms of his contribution and importance to the history and survival of our club, he's up there with Joey.

I felt devastated for him when he left, and listening to his emotional radio interview, he clearly didn't want to go, so I'm so glad he's back.

Welcome home Beano, good luck in your new role 💛

PS- bring your boots with ya ;)

Fair enough...unless yellow cards were not expunged. In that case, surely there are grounds for an appeal to reinstate the goals that Beano scored vs. Chester.

• React
Agree. In terms of his contribution and importance to the history and survival of our club, he's up there with Joey.

I felt devastated for him when he left, and listening to his emotional radio interview, he clearly didn't want to go, so I'm so glad he's back.

He seems to genuinely love the club which is even more to his credit given that he grew up as a Spurs fan in Wiltshire, would have been messed around with the usual politics of being a footballer, and left against his own wishes seemingly.

When photos emerged of him at one of the new stadium exhibitions the other week, it was both a pleasant surprise and not a surprise at all that he would be there.

What I would say re the goals record is that regardless of the FA / EFL and the fact that they will never formally acknowledge it, you can’t award James Constable the club record without taking it away from Graham Atkinson and his family. Two wrongs don’t make a right for me. It would be very easy to get so caught up in celebrating one that you end up severely disrespecting the other. I’ll always see Beano as the record goal scorer, as I’m sure many others do and will, but I think that’s as far as it goes. Had Graham Atkinson made the decision to allow the club to acknowledge JC as the top scorer (albeit still unofficially) prior to his death then that would be different, but that’s not the way it went.

Glad to see he’s back at the club on a full-time basis. Comfortably one of the most important players in the history of the football club, and a superb human being.

welcome back Beano

I still think the club should campaign- or at least @OxVox and @OUSP Secretary should campaign for the hat trick v Chester ,the season they went bust, & dropped out mid season, that were wiped from official records, by The FA and/or EFL- despite the fact it was a competitive league game when it was played. I kind of understand what was done regarding points won /lost v Chester during that part season, with regard to end of season places. Wiping the goals scored against Chester during that seasonfrom history was, in my opinion, a very poor decision by the powers that be. One that should be reversed, albeit retrospectively.*

Those 3 goals, if officially reinstated by the powers that be, would make Beano our ALL TIME top goalscorer. He was robbed by circumstances not of his making, of that record, which I (still) believe was wrong of the powers that be to do.

*(albeit this is referred to on another thread), itd be amusing- certainly to me, a few others too id guess? IF the powers that be conceded and reinstated those 3 goals , as they would go down as ' V Chester' - :ROFLMAO:
And speaking to him at the recent dinner, what peaved him more is the fact that apart taking the hat trick away he was booked and that stood.

I’m a bit surprised to see that’s a full time role, fair play to the club for splashing the cash on the Academy and shows the ambition of the owners.

Last edited:
What I would say re the goals record is that regardless of the FA / EFL and the fact that they will never formally acknowledge it, you can’t award James Constable the club record without taking it away from Graham Atkinson and his family. Two wrongs don’t make a right for me. It would be very easy to get so caught up in celebrating one that you end up severely disrespecting the other. I’ll always see Beano as the record goal scorer, as I’m sure many others do and will, but I think that’s as far as it goes. Had Graham Atkinson made the decision to allow the club to acknowledge JC as the top scorer (albeit still unofficially) prior to his death then that would be different, but that’s not the way it went.

Glad to see he’s back at the club on a full-time basis. Comfortably one of the most important players in the history of the football club, and a superb human being.
My first years of watching OUFC coincided with the years of Graham and Ron Atkinson (not to mention the all-mighty Colin Harrington, my hero at the time), and so I certainly wouldn't want in any way to disrespect Graham's memory, but the fact is that Beano scored more goals for United than he did, and it's simply nonsensical for those three goals vs. Chester to be removed.

My first years of watching OUFC coincided with the years of Graham and Ron Atkinson (not to mention the all-mighty Colin Harrington, my hero at the time), and so I certainly wouldn't want in any way to disrespect Graham's memory, but the fact is that Beano scored more goals for United than he did, and it's simply nonsensical for those three goals vs. Chester to be removed.
me too ( first years supporting the mighty U's was the era of the Atkinson brothers - and flash Harrington) - agree regaarding srespecting Graham Atkinsons memory , and that Beano did score more goals than him- FA/EFL allowed Beano's yellow card V Chester to stand , so IMO the 3 goals he scored V Chester should also stand/ count too

I spoke to JC at the training ground during the new stadium exhibition and he was saying he worked in Enysham and asked if he would work at OUFC and he just yes definitively, he loves this club. Welcome back Beano

I actually think he left at the right time. The takeover happened, MApp was coming in and he was brutal with his culls.

The likes of Clarke and Potter were pretty much binned as soon as he had any form of replacement for them.

MApp’s first season was really rocky too and there were calls for his head at many points. If he’d been the one to him Beano, I’m not sure he would have survived the fan outrage and 2015-16 wouldn’t have happened. There was no way Constable would have fitted in with a MApp style at all.

I believe George Thorne is also working with one of the youth age groups. We have several former players now working within the academy which will hopefully support the progression into the first team for our promising kids.

I believe George Thorne is also working with one of the youth age groups. We have several former players now working within the academy which will hopefully support the progression into the first team for our promising kids.
Had no idea he was still involved with the club. Presumably still lives locally?

Had no idea he was still involved with the club. Presumably still lives locally?
Never lived locally. He lives in Bedfordshire and was playing for Bedford Town last season, which predictably ended with him constantly breaking down physically, and is now assistant manager at St Neots Town while doing a few hours per week of freelance coaching with centre of excellence age groups.

• React
Fair enough...unless yellow cards were not expunged. In that case, surely there are grounds for an appeal to reinstate the goals that Beano scored vs. Chester.

The home game was played on the 18th August and the away game was due to be played on 27th February (They went under during the week before this).

I would have thought he would have served a ban for 5 yellows maybe even 10 by the time Chester went under

Back
Top Bottom