General James Henry and Elliott Moore

Good news to wake up to this morning.

Both have one year options activated.
Good to see Slavi being given the chance to establish himself through pre-season too. Lets hope he can put all the injury issues behind him and show what he’s capable of. Id love to see him bang a few in in the pre-season friendlies.

Elliot Moore was always having his 1 year option triggered.

James Henry is a class player on his day, and will be an asset on and off the pitch, and also useful to bring off the bench when needed.

What we need to do now, is bring in some really quality, and show some intent to the other clubs, that we mean business next season.

Moore is good news, but I think we should have said thank you and goodbye to James, he'll be 33 by the start of next season and been out injured most of this year, he will spend most of next season sat on the bench or lying on the treatment table, just a waste of a squad place and a significant salary.

Obvious and sensible decisions for me, if Moore forces a move we get money or if he is happy to stay we have a decent centre back for a season, we are not exactly overstocked in that position. Henry can play/cover a few positions, gets goals and has a touch of class about him, if his injuries are behind him its a no brained.

On his age, he is no older than both our forwards, it’s a one year deal so I don’t think being 32 will be a problem. We definitely need a bit of experience about the place.

We probably need an experienced man deep in the midfield as well but Iam sure we will have a fantastic squad . A younger tough striker that can cause ABIT of havoc and give our strikers more chances.

Platform this summer is really good, Henry never lets us down and at this stage of his career, will likely be comfortable with being in and out of the side. We’ll need experienced characters like him, Eastwood, Mousinho in the dressing room. The latter only playing in the EFL trophy though!

Henry is still massively underrated! 54 goals in 181 starts is superb. He is able to play in several positions, is highly experienced at this level, and can also change games from the bench. Many of his goals are scored at important times as well (eg. Doncaster away this season gone).

It was vital that we kept him here.

Moore is good news, but I think we should have said thank you and goodbye to James, he'll be 33 by the start of next season and been out injured most of this year, he will spend most of next season sat on the bench or lying on the treatment table, just a waste of a squad place and a significant salary.

I'll bite on this. Since he's been here, James Henry has played a tonne of matches for us. Appearances below for all comps.

2017-18: 48
2018-19: 56
2019-20: 38 (curtailed season)
2020-21: 40
2021-22: 28

I think last season was the only time he's had an injury that has kept him out for any significant length. He's not exactly been a Hanson-esque sicknote in his time here, making 213 appearances. Maybe a season after playing fewer games may well help him out for the coming season?

I'll admit that a year is about right for what he has left to offer and at 33 we will need some younger and quicker players, especially up front where we're looking at an 'experienced' (glass half full) / 'past it' (glass half empty) set of players with Taylor, Baldock and possibly Bodin all joining the ranks. However, I don't think Henry's race is run yet. He's scored over 50 goals for us and still has plenty to offer for us, in my view.

I think Henry will be a brilliant player to bring on for 30 minutes and start every few games too. An expensive option in that regard, but other teams will see him as dangerous which is pretty telling.

Plus, it was a no-brainer to trigger the contract as if he DOES leave now, we’ll get a decent fee.

Platform this summer is really good, Henry never lets us down and at this stage of his career, will likely be comfortable with being in and out of the side. We’ll need experienced characters like him, Eastwood, Mousinho in the dressing room. The latter only playing in the EFL trophy though!
Not even that,we can’t have Mous taking up a place in the squad.If he is in the squad I would suggest we are not serious about promotion.

Have him around coaching and part of the backroom staff by all means and as you say in the dressing room but this year we have to have two players fighting for every position

I think Henry will be a brilliant player to bring on for 30 minutes and start every few games too. An expensive option in that regard, but other teams will see him as dangerous which is pretty telling.

Plus, it was a no-brainer to trigger the contract as if he DOES leave now, we’ll get a decent fee.
Agree with this apart from the decent fee,not at his age we won’t

I doubt the latter would happen. Moore is the more likely candidate to move on for a fee after having his option enacted. Only a real moneybags side hoovering up every club’s best L1 players for a tilt at the title would pay tor a 33 year old veteran like Henry.

It’s a good feature to have in agreements with players regardless. We benefited from it with Liam Sercombe. He’d fallen out with MApp and had been dropped. We enacted the option for another year even know MApp had no intention of playing him the season after (MApp left that summer but that’s by the by) and Bristol Rovers purchased him for £150k. Good business.

Regarding Moore, I’m assuming we have been trying to get him to sign a new deal?
And we have triggered the 1 year after being unsuccessful. Got to be a possibility he is sold this summer!

Quite possibly, but is there an overwhelming desire from anyone in the Championship for him?

Maybe because we've been spoilt in recent years with modern, neat, ball-carrying CBs such as Dickie, Atkinson and McNally in recent years, Moore seems a bit more old fashioned and therefore I can't see as many clubs wishing to buy him. To me, his lack of pace is probably the main reason why he is a L1 CB - every other element of his game is adequate enough for the next level but he can be outpaced and exposed for it.

Dickie always looked likely to improve hence why I could see why QPR signed him. 'He's either going to take us up or if not, we can sell him for plenty' seemed to be their rationale. I do wonder which Championship club would want Moore. No one looking at promotion to the PL will be so that leaves those who tread water at that level year on year who don't have the financial clout to go up like Millwall, Preston or Coventry. That kind of club isn't likely to spend big on a player like Moore either. Staying in the Championship is always their goal.

If an offer of £500k came in, I'd be willing to listen. Others may have a different view.

Quite possibly, but is there an overwhelming desire from anyone in the Championship for him?

Maybe because we've been spoilt in recent years with modern, neat, ball-carrying CBs such as Dickie, Atkinson and McNally in recent years, Moore seems a bit more old fashioned and therefore I can't see as many clubs wishing to buy him. To me, his lack of pace is probably the main reason why he is a L1 CB - every other element of his game is adequate enough for the next level but he can be outpaced and exposed for it.

Dickie always looked likely to improve hence why I could see why QPR signed him. 'He's either going to take us up or if not, we can sell him for plenty' seemed to be their rationale. I do wonder which Championship club would want Moore. No one looking at promotion to the PL will be so that leaves those who tread water at that level year on year who don't have the financial clout to go up like Millwall, Preston or Coventry. That kind of club isn't likely to spend big on a player like Moore either. Staying in the Championship is always their goal.

If an offer of £500k came in, I'd be willing to listen. Others may have a different view.
Agree with what your saying, but if he is refusing to sign a new deal and I have no idea if that’s the case. Then his agent must know that other clubs want him.

Why do I feel Moore might be unhappy about this?

But great to activate these clauses, they are a great option to include.

Back
Top Bottom