General James Henry and Elliott Moore

Quite possibly, but is there an overwhelming desire from anyone in the Championship for him?

Maybe because we've been spoilt in recent years with modern, neat, ball-carrying CBs such as Dickie, Atkinson and McNally in recent years, Moore seems a bit more old fashioned and therefore I can't see as many clubs wishing to buy him. To me, his lack of pace is probably the main reason why he is a L1 CB - every other element of his game is adequate enough for the next level but he can be outpaced and exposed for it.

Dickie always looked likely to improve hence why I could see why QPR signed him. 'He's either going to take us up or if not, we can sell him for plenty' seemed to be their rationale. I do wonder which Championship club would want Moore. No one looking at promotion to the PL will be so that leaves those who tread water at that level year on year who don't have the financial clout to go up like Millwall, Preston or Coventry. That kind of club isn't likely to spend big on a player like Moore either. Staying in the Championship is always their goal.

If an offer of £500k came in, I'd be willing to listen. Others may have a different view.
Bristol City were said ti be looking at Moore.
Not sure that Dickie was any quicker than Moore?

Good to see Slavi being given the chance to establish himself through pre-season too. Lets hope he can put all the injury issues behind him and show what he’s capable of. Id love to see him bang a few in in the pre-season friendlies.
How did Slavi get on last season?

Great to have Henry tied down for another year. His experience both on and off the pitch will be invaluable, and he'll be a more than useful player when the squad is rotated throughout next season.

With Moore it means he either play for us for another year or we get a fee for him this summer. Both of which I'm fine with. But with Sykes leaving on a free this summer, I reckon it'd probably be better getting a fee and bringing in a replacement if we want our model to keep bearing fruit.

Why do I feel Moore might be unhappy about this?

But great to activate these clauses, they are a great option to include.

He was happy enough to sign the contract that gave us that option in the first place so he will just have to live with it.

Agree with above, can’t really see anyone offering decent money for him, he will probably move to a championship club on a free after this season though.

Not even that,we can’t have Mous taking up a place in the squad.If he is in the squad I would suggest we are not serious about promotion.

Have him around coaching and part of the backroom staff by all means and as you say in the dressing room but this year we have to have two players fighting for every position
We can have him contracted as a player/coach without him being a registered member of the squad.

Gorrin will be off to Sunderland if they win the playoffs

No, I think it's the other way round, Gorrin will be off to Sunderland if they lose the play offs. I don't see him being championship quality.

See that Gorrin liked the Henry and Moore staying instagram post. Would imagine he will stay purely based on that... 😅

I doubt the latter would happen. Moore is the more likely candidate to move on for a fee after having his option enacted. Only a real moneybags side hoovering up every club’s best L1 players for a tilt at the title would pay tor a 33 year old veteran like Henry.

It’s a good feature to have in agreements with players regardless. We benefited from it with Liam Sercombe. He’d fallen out with MApp and had been dropped. We enacted the option for another year even know MApp had no intention of playing him the season after (MApp left that summer but that’s by the by) and Bristol Rovers purchased him for £150k. Good business.

Yes that’s fair but as you say, a club like Wednesday or Ipswich might fancy Henry as part of a strong squad, so we’d definitely get a wedge if so, regardless of contract length or age.

Henry has proved he’s the real deal over successive seasons here so if someone wants him, would we sell him for less than £100k?

Not even that,we can’t have Mous taking up a place in the squad.If he is in the squad I would suggest we are not serious about promotion.

Have him around coaching and part of the backroom staff by all means and as you say in the dressing room but this year we have to have two players fighting for every position
Is Mous out of contract? Agree, I see little point with him being registered as a player.

He was happy enough to sign the contract that gave us that option in the first place so he will just have to live with it.

Agree with above, can’t really see anyone offering decent money for him, he will probably move to a championship club on a free after this season though.
Or leave in January for a fee

Surprised about Henry, has kind of turned into a player in recent times who only plays well say at best one in every three or four matches. Fair enough if they're just considering him as a bench option, but somehow don't think he's on bench wages compared to the rest of the squad.

Despite all that, considering what he's done for the club a final year reward for his services aren't completely ridiculous and hopefully at the very least he shows a high level of professionalism and drive in training which some of the younger players benefit from.

Moore is good news, but I think we should have said thank you and goodbye to James, he'll be 33 by the start of next season and been out injured most of this year, he will spend most of next season sat on the bench or lying on the treatment table, just a waste of a squad place and a significant salary.
recently it has been discussed about how letting Bulman go because of his age was a mistake.
Henry is a great asset to this team and age is in no way a factor with him.
Great bit of business.

I wouldn’t register him to be completely clear. Ideally we’d have 4 CBs - Moore, McNally and two more, plus Sam Long that can play in a 3.

Surprised about Henry, has kind of turned into a player in recent times who only plays well say at best one in every three or four matches. Fair enough if they're just considering him as a bench option, but somehow don't think he's on bench wages compared to the rest of the squad.

Despite all that, considering what he's done for the club a final year reward for his services aren't completely ridiculous and hopefully at the very least he shows a high level of professionalism and drive in training which some of the younger players benefit from.

If we can keep him well conditioned to play against the opposition he'll be suited for - teams that sit deep and concede long shots and need pinpoint crosses to unlock, then he's definitely a useful option.

Bear in mind that Matty managed to reach 20 goals in a season where Henry wasn't at his best, and that the two were telepathic in the season and a half before that. Was probably Taylor and Baldock tugging on KR's sleeve asking if they can please please keep hold of the nice crossing man.

We put a contract on the table for Moore the same time as we first offered one to Sykes.
Does this mean he is also yet to accept a new contract, and we have just triggered the extension clause in his current contract? I wonder if he could still potentially leave before the window closes then for a small fee with only 1 year left on his contract? Or do you feel he's going to see it out now we've triggered it?

• React
Reactions: UTO
Back
Top Bottom