Ex Player James Beadle

All this luvvie stuff about ‘ooh he’s not good with the ball at his feet’ isn’t relevant. It wasn’t his fault we were poor in the last couple of games.
We were poor all over, but him not being able to kick a ball straight doesn’t help either!

I didn't get why he didn't just kick it long from each goal kick. We ended up playing a series of short passes between Moore, Brown and Eastwood and then Eastwood, under pressure, deciding to kick it long. It's like teams think that now they have the option of allowing their own players in the area for goal kicks, they have to use it. For a tactic that's supposed to retain possession, it was a means of losing it every time.

I just think the modern game has caught up with Simon Eastwood. The approaches from the top sides, Man City mostly, has filtered down the leagues and an old fashioned stopper like him looks limited nowadays. The key goalkeeping aspects are there - he delivered an excellent punch away in the Reading game and generally played fine - but 'keepers have to be better all round footballers nowadays and Eastwood isn't that.

I couldn't understand why we persisted with the short goal kick routine with Eastwood there. I had thought the point was to draw the opposition forwards out. If they come to press then you have a keeper who is capable of clipping it over their heads into the space they've left in midfield. We saw Beadle do that several times and Cumming is capable of similar. As Eastwood can't do that then it's a ridiculous thing to be trying and just puts us on the back foot. Generally, Eastwood is pretty good at striking a dead ball and he can reliably hoist a goal kick into a reasonably central area and into the opposition half, but give him a rolling ball and it's totally different.

Exactly! So he shouldn’t be seen as good enough here! Completely ruins the way we want to play if cumming is unavailable and made an absolute clanger in his first game back against Pompey. Enough said.
As I said, he's a reserve, he's not going to be as good as the first choice. I'm more worried about some of our first choice players.

As I said, he's a reserve, he's not going to be as good as the first choice. I'm more worried about some of our first choice players.
Me too, but doesn’t mean Eastwood should get a free pass, his mistake against Pompey let them back into the game and got their tails up. Poor from an experienced goalkeeper.

Beadle for Sheff Wed so far
Screenshot-2022-08-04-at-19.00.16-400x490.png

Reading
Portsmouth
Bristol rovers
Barnsley
That’s both Cummings and Eastwood mind you it could be worse we could have Allison in goal….he cocked yo big time yesterday for the bin dippers….every keeper make mistakes or should have saved certain goals Beadle flapped earlier in in the season so maybe Brearly should have a crack and then get lambasted in the errors he may have made if he started made.

Me too, but doesn’t mean Eastwood should get a free pass, his mistake against Pompey let them back into the game and got their tails up. Poor from an experienced goalkeeper.

It's a tough one to analyze, that goal.
On the one hand, the Pompey player is firing in a shot from the edge of the six yard box through a forest of legs. It's actually pretty miraculous that Eastwood saved that one in the first place.
But.....having done so....he should then have secured it (even with Ciaron Brown falling on top of him) rather than let it bobble to Bishop.

From a goalkeeping technique and decision-making perspective, I think the first goal that Cummings conceded against Rovers was much worse.
(and he probably won't be thrilled by the second or third either)

Don't see any blame to Cummings or Eastwood for the goals conceded against Barnsley or Reading (though plenty of blame for everyone else).

That’s both Cummings and Eastwood mind you it could be worse we could have Allison in goal….he cocked yo big time yesterday for the bin dippers….every keeper make mistakes or should have saved certain goals Beadle flapped earlier in in the season so maybe Brearly should have a crack and then get lambasted in the errors he may have made if he started made.
That was my original point, the goals we've conceded since Beadle has left have been totally shambolic, maybe the defence should shoulder some blame, but if you look at the goals it's hard not to point fingers and both Eastwood and Cummings.

That was my original point, the goals we've conceded since Beadle has left have been totally shambolic, maybe the defence should shoulder some blame, but if you look at the goals it's hard not to point fingers and both Eastwood and Cummings.

If I was to summarize over the last four games, I would say:

Barnsley goal - bad defending, goalkeeper blameless
Rovers' 1st - diabolical defending, also terrible keeping
Rovers' 2nd - diabolical defending, keeping also questionable
Rovers' 3rd - probably the only goal we've conceded over this bad spell where the defending wasn't that atrocious, but the keeping was questionable
Pompey 1st - bad defending, great first save from Easty but then should have held it
Pompey 2nd - diabolical defending, keeping mostly blameless
Reading goal - diabolical defending, keeping mostly blameless

Maybe a fully in-form James Beadle gets us a point at Bristol, and helps us hold on to the win against Pompey. So perhaps we get another 3 points.

But goalkeeping is a long way from our only problem over the last month. We have repeatedly defended like a bunch of clowns, not a playoff team.

Eastwood has conceded 3 goals a game upon his return and been sent off. The defence has also looked shambolic and our goal kick routine is becoming painful and nerve-wracking to watch. He’s been number one for years and should be doing better - let’s not forget he could easily reclaim the 1 shirt with some strong performances but right now he looks incredibly shaky and it’s having a knock-on effect to an already dwindling defence.

Goalies always seem to get the blame I won’t excuse them as they have to take responsibility but yes the defence are there for a reason.

Rovers' 3rd - probably the only goal we've conceded over this bad spell where the defending wasn't that atrocious, but the keeping was questionable
Pompey 1st - bad defending, great first save from Easty but then should have held it

Maybe a fully in-form James Beadle gets us a point at Bristol, and helps us hold on to the win against Pompey. So perhaps we get another 3 points.

But goalkeeping is a long way from our only problem over the last month. We have repeatedly defended like a bunch of clowns, not a playoff team.

For once I don’t agree with our US correspondent. it’s a big problem. Eastwood’s a liability.

Every time the oppo get a corner fans have kittens. Coventry tonking marmalised his confidence. And a weak keeper feeds through to weakening defence solidity.

He has deteriorated this season. Quite a lot.

Good that Cumming is back in on Saturday.

I tend to agree with that.
The one thing on Saturday however was that Eastwood and the defence was clearly uncomfortable with him playing from the back. Reading pressed more and more meaning that he was kicking it long.
We have Harris, Reubin and Tyler, so the ball inevitable came back. This certainly put the defence under a lot more pressure.

For once I don’t agree with our US correspondent. it’s a big problem. Eastwood’s a liability.

Every time the oppo get a corner fans have kittens. Coventry tonking marmalised his confidence. And a weak keeper feeds through to weakening defence solidity.

He has deteriorated this season. Quite a lot.

Good that Cumming is back in on Saturday.

Although none of the goals in this bad post-Beadle run have come from set pieces (at least in the first phase).

Three of them, however, have come from our defense/midfield collectively being terrified to get a tackle in and letting opposition attackers waltz unopposed up to or sometimes into our box. If you had no confidence in your keeper, would you not be trying to do more to stop the attackers getting into a shooting position, not less?

The distribution argument, however, I do understand. Eastwood's is pretty inept so he's hurting our ability to dominate possession the way we would like to, no question.

Back
Top Bottom