Ex Player James Beadle

Pompeys first goal was awful to concede tbh. That’s before you start talking about how uncomfortable Eastwood is with the ball at his feet.
All this luvvie stuff about ‘ooh he’s not good with the ball at his feet’ isn’t relevant. It wasn’t his fault we were poor in the last couple of games.

All this luvvie stuff about ‘ooh he’s not good with the ball at his feet’ isn’t relevant. It wasn’t his fault we were poor in the last couple of games.
Agree, he’s part of a team. However, his kicking is poor, how many balls did he send skywards rather than straight down the pitch?

Agree, he’s part of a team. However, his kicking is poor, how many balls did he send skywards rather than straight down the pitch?
I’m not saying he’s the best ever but he’s just one of the team, as you say. There is far less focus on other players who make mistakes or aren’t great

His kicking is beyond poor, it's atrocious. He somehow puts back spin on every kick, real 'up and unders' that manage to simultaneously give the ball away and barely gain any territory.

If there was any chance that Cumming would be unavailable for last Saturday, we should have brought in an alternative on loan (even just a Connal Trueman type).

I didn't get why he didn't just kick it long from each goal kick. We ended up playing a series of short passes between Moore, Brown and Eastwood and then Eastwood, under pressure, deciding to kick it long. It's like teams think that now they have the option of allowing their own players in the area for goal kicks, they have to use it. For a tactic that's supposed to retain possession, it was a means of losing it every time.

I just think the modern game has caught up with Simon Eastwood. The approaches from the top sides, Man City mostly, has filtered down the leagues and an old fashioned stopper like him looks limited nowadays. The key goalkeeping aspects are there - he delivered an excellent punch away in the Reading game and generally played fine - but 'keepers have to be better all round footballers nowadays and Eastwood isn't that.

If Eastwood is going to play you have to change the plan a bit, no good trying to get him involved in passing moves as he just isn't that type of keeper. Better for a defender to clear it themselves than pass it back to Eastwood and have him do it.

I didn't get why he didn't just kick it long from each goal kick. We ended up playing a series of short passes between Moore, Brown and Eastwood and then Eastwood, under pressure, deciding to kick it long. It's like teams think that now they have the option of allowing their own players in the area for goal kicks, they have to use it. For a tactic that's supposed to retain possession, it was a means of losing it every time.

I just think the modern game has caught up with Simon Eastwood. The approaches from the top sides, Man City mostly, has filtered down the leagues and an old fashioned stopper like him looks limited nowadays. The key goalkeeping aspects are there - he delivered an excellent punch away in the Reading game and generally played fine - but 'keepers have to be better all round footballers nowadays and Eastwood isn't that.

Perhaps after watching the calamitous performance from Alison yesterday - and plenty of other high profile mistakes - there should be a bit more emphasis on basic goalkeeping ie keeping the ball out of the net.

Thought this thread was about James Beadle
I was surprised that Brighton sent him to SW. yes he’s playing in the Championship, but they are showing us that they’re a L1 side and are likely to go down. I’m sure the atmosphere can’t be as buoyant at SW as it is at Oxford, a side who are pushing for play offs/promotion.
I hope he does well, but think he’ll regret moving on.

I suspect that left to his own devices, Eastwood would not do all that farting about at goal kicks. I don't think he has ever been a 'footballing' keeper and therefore he must be being told to do that. Why on earth we were doing it at all is a question we were all asking ourselves in the stands. Reading were marking Moore and Brown (and closing Eastwood down quickly), so there was absolutely no chance of gaining any advantage and every chance of giving the ball and/or a goal away.

I can't help thinking it is another example of slightly muddled thinking. If you are playing a goalkeeper who is not comfortable playing the ball like that and it seems to be gaining you no advantage anyway - don't even start doing it. To be fair, we did it far less as the game went on, so perhaps a lesson was learned.

It may sound a bit harsh, but I don't really care what's happening to Sheffield Wednesday or James Beadle.
Can I make a suggestion for a thread I think you should avoid?
All this luvvie stuff about ‘ooh he’s not good with the ball at his feet’ isn’t relevant.
Why isn’t it relevant? We ask our keeper to be good with the ball at his feet.
I didn't get why he didn't just kick it long from each goal kick. We ended up playing a series of short passes between Moore, Brown and Eastwood and then Eastwood, under pressure, deciding to kick it long.
Our goal against Reading came from overplaying a goal kick and then Negru going long behind their full back.

I was surprised that Brighton sent him to SW. yes he’s playing in the Championship, but they are showing us that they’re a L1 side and are likely to go down. I’m sure the atmosphere can’t be as buoyant at SW as it is at Oxford, a side who are pushing for play offs/promotion.
I hope he does well, but think he’ll regret moving on.
That will be good for Beadle having a relegation on his cv

Back
Top Bottom