Current Player #8 Cameron Brannagan

Think I’d rather see us drive into the box or put a cross in than serve the east stand or fence end with ball collection duties. I’m more a data driven guy than a dreamer.
The problem is, which players do we have the drive into the box or make late runs into the box? That is something that I think Des needs to work on. He likes to get crosses into the box but we don’t seem to have those players making late runs into the box.

I say keep shooting too, deflections and rebounds can sometimes work in your favour.

However there was one attempt early in the second half from about 40 yards against Northampton which wasn’t very clever.
This is the issue, 60 odd shots this season and one goal from them they were saying on Radio Oxford. He has been unlucky a couple of times but he simply does not score enough for the amount of shots he has.

This is the issue, 60 odd shots this season and one goal from them they were saying on Radio Oxford. He has been unlucky a couple of times but he simply does not score enough for the amount of shots he has.
He has scored one since then.
So still only 2, although he has hit the crossbar 3 times (?).

Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham etc would’ve missed a lot more than they scored, but it’s something that should be encouraged in my opinion.

It also unsettles defences, as they don’t know if you’re gonna shoot, pass it out wide, play a through ball or a one-two.

Keep em guessing

Was a bad example against Northampton where we had three players up in the attack in half decent positions and he hit a shot from a fair distance out. Needs to be clever when he does so given his numbers are what, two goals out of the last 60+ shots?

Also, how many of those shots force a corner from a save? Or spilled by the keeper, potentially creating an opportunity for someone to get on the end of it?
Who knows, just like nobody knows, if he hadn't of shot and played the percentage ball how many better chances at goal there would of been. I don't mind him shooting, it's part of his game, I just feel he does it too much when better options are available.

I’m afraid that’s been a problem of ours for years: Shoot when we should pass, pass when we should shoot 😫

How on earth ,can you shoot to often ??
I thought that was our problem, to much tippy happy, sideways & not enough shots on goal...

Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham etc would’ve missed a lot more than they scored, but it’s something that should be encouraged in my opinion.

It also unsettles defences, as they don’t know if you’re gonna shoot, pass it out wide, play a through ball or a one-two.

Keep em guessing
That's true but sort of proves the opposite point. The sheer number of long range efforts from the same position by the same player is actually a doddle to play against.

Absolutely no problem with CB shooting from the edge of the box but needs to cut out the silly 30 yarders when he’s simply frustrated. Side not he also should be nowhere near our set pieces he hits the first man more often then not.
Also I wish someone would tell him not to try to hit the ball so hard!
His 90% is still more powerful than most players' 100% and it would give him more control.

How on earth ,can you shoot to often ??
I thought that was our problem, to much tippy happy, sideways & not enough shots on goal...
Pretty interesting that a matter of months ago we created very few shooting opportunities but regularly came away with 2 or 3 goals and a win. The criticism then was often playing it too safe or playing the extra pass, creating very little but could it be argued that this made us that much harder to play against? Was it unnerving for teams like derby and Barnsley how content we were to wait for our chance to come? Should we have applauded how focused and effective the players were on taking their chances? I think so. Hard to argue that the group don’t have it in their locker to make the right decision in the final third when they have been so productive over a period earlier in the season. It’s mental as much as anything tactical.

I think now our opponent realises that you don’t even need a great deal of patience defensively, just a good shape, we will get a rush of blood and shoot early which will give them plenty of opportunities to have the ball and/or counter. I said it at the time, Wigan were dead unlucky to go home empty handed. It really fell for us that day.

Imagine telling, Bobby Charlton or Pele ,
why did you shoot , instead Of the option
Nobody is saying never shoot from range, we just seem to show a complete disregard for other options now that’s all. Like a lot of our play now it’s basic and leaving too much to chance.

It should be your sidearm, not your primary weapon.

Back
Top Bottom